Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 08:02 PM

10,215 posts, read 15,084,245 times

Advertisements

To get this out of the way, the US mainland are all states except Alaska and Hawaii.

This guy took amazing photos of the aurora borealis in Connecticut, yes Connecticut! Apparently, something is happening to make it visible this far south!

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/vyN2hg3iiB7Aop6p/?

What other places in the USA have photos/videos of this spectacle? My guess this is probably not as well seen in big cities due to light pollution, but I repeat that is a guess.

According to USA Today, this is suppose to be visible again tonight!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...y/73656413007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 08:44 PM

650 posts, read 356,737 times
Washington State, Idaho, Montana and northern Minnesota is about the best place to be in the lower 48 for seeing any type of aurora activity. It’s not unusual to see it occasionally in those places. Although this recent event was much bigger.

Some pretty amazing pictures came out of Seattle during this recent event. It was strong enough that even the urban core was able to see it. Some amazing mountain photos came out of the Pacific Northwest. I’m sure you can find them online.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 811,696 times
Lots of photos on social media of the Northern Lights here in Boise. My dad got some great photos on his phone. Not really something one could see very well with the naked eye, most of the images online were a long exposure.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 5,058,180 times
Kinda bummed, I was busy on Friday night and that was apparently the time to see it. Even in the middle of Seattle I had friends getting a clear view of the aurora.

Last night I drove out to Index (hour and 15 mins from the city in the Cascades) to get away from the light pollution and try to see it -- no dice. There were a dozen or so people walking around the town with the same idea I had, and we all left disappointed.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

1,024 posts, read 920,314 times
Family in the DMV said that you could see it all the way down in Virginia, if clouds permitted.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

3,311 posts, read 8,574,183 times
We have great photos of it in North Carolina area as well. It dipped pretty far south!

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,027,262 times
The aurora display last Friday was probably the greatest one in the past 100 years. The aurora was even seen in Puerto Rico! The last time the aurora was seen that far south was in 1921.

The sun is heading toward solar maximum, which will occur next year, so we have another two years or so in which a good aurora display that extends farther south than usual is likely. But I doubt we'll see another one as good as last Friday's for many, many years.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

1,370 posts, read 898,134 times
My family member took pictures of it in Georgia

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Some pretty amazing pictures came out of Seattle during this recent event. It was strong enough that even the urban core was able to see it. Some amazing mountain photos came out of the Pacific Northwest. I’m sure you can find them online.
I saw it from West Seattle; couldn't see much (if anything) with the naked eye, but it came to life through my camera/phone lens! Here:

Old Today, 12:11 PM

10,119 posts, read 10,013,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
We have great photos of it in North Carolina area as well. It dipped pretty far south!
I saw it with the naked eye as soon as a walked out the front door here in Charlotte. I didn't know that there was suppose to be an Aurora happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.