Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 05:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

Most impressed with the knowledgeable helpful responses.
And sharing our DNA stories/ percentages of people who lived before us from all around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:10 AM

95 posts, read 101,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

I had my DNA analyzed by Ancestry.com They have me being just over 30% English,
the rest a mix of continental European ethnicities. That seemed odd, because my
mother was entirely English in ancestry, as far as I know (maybe a bit of Scotch or Irish),
so shouldn't I be more-or-less 50% Brit (since half my DNA came from her)?

Later I forwarded my DNA data to My Heritage, in hopes of finding more relatives.
But MH also did their own ethnicity estimate, which reversed the proportions of
continental-Europe ancestries (father's side) and completely missed the English part.
They had me at 0% English, even though my mother was English (as well as all of her
ancestors that I've found in the family tree).

People have said these ethnicity estimates should be taken with a grain of salt.
I'm certainly glad I didn't pay anything for MH's "analysis."

Ancestry.com and My Heritage both have my DNA at 0% English and around 25% Scandinavian. The percentages really should be switched given that I have plenty of English DNA matches on both sites and well documented English ancestry in my family tree. My only known Scandinavian ancestor was a Swede who was born in 1636.

I manage my cousin's DNA on both sites and she shows 49.2% Scandinavian and 0% English on My Heritage. Again these percentages should be reversed. In her case Ancestry's latest update changed her English DNA to 53% and lowered her Scandinavian percentage from 30% to 12%. Like myself her only known Scandinavian ancestor was born in 1636 and she has plenty of English DNA matches.

I believe appearance of Scandinavian DNA can be explained by the presence of Viking settlements in the British Isles. Unfortunately in most cases it's impossible to find supporting genealogical records back to the Vikings.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

I had my DNA analyzed by Ancestry.com They have me being just over 30% English,
the rest a mix of continental European ethnicities. That seemed odd, because my
mother was entirely English in ancestry, as far as I know (maybe a bit of Scotch or Irish),
so shouldn't I be more-or-less 50% Brit (since half my DNA came from her)?

Later I forwarded my DNA data to My Heritage, in hopes of finding more relatives.
But MH also did their own ethnicity estimate, which reversed the proportions of
continental-Europe ancestries (father's side) and completely missed the English part.
They had me at 0% English, even though my mother was English (as well as all of her
ancestors that I've found in the family tree).

People have said these ethnicity estimates should be taken with a grain of salt.
I'm certainly glad I didn't pay anything for MH's "analysis."

Part of the problem with trying to define whether a person is English or Scandinavian is that England was invaded by Vikings and most of their population has a large amount of Scandinavian DNA. I am 50% Scandinavian and 50% Basque. I know that because I have documentary evidence going back 500 years proving where my family lived. But the last time Ancestry did their population update I suddenly became 1/3 English and something like 9% irish. It's absolutely useless and the sad thing is that people who don't know any better go out and buy kilts when they are actually Danish. My Heritage is much better but still thinks I'm part English

North and West Europe
51.5%
Scandinavian
32.1%
English
13.5%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
5.9%
South Europe
47.8%
Iberian
47.8%

Old 08-01-2020, 03:55 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's absolutely useless and the sad thing is that people who don't know any better go out and buy kilts when they are actually Danish.
That's hilarious!

Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I had that issue with CRI. Without going into too much detail, some of the results were impossible to be true. For example, they showed a small percentage of Peruvian Andes which could have never happened because my parents immigrated from Italy. There were absolutely no previous ties to the Americas or to Native Americans. When I tested with 23andme, all the weird small percentages which couldn't be true disappeared.
I had a similar result with CRI Genetics where Asian and South American DNA showed up as early as 4 generations back. This made no sense to me as I have done my family genealogy back 40-50 generations and also taken the tests at both 23andme.com and Ancestry.com. My results from those sites were fairly uniform. I suspected there was contamination somewhere as I know it is an easy thing to occur in labs, so I requested another test. The second test was slightly different, but had similar anomalous results.

Shortly after I got my second results, a friend of mine got her results and they had almost the exact same percentages of anomalous DNA from Asia and South America as mine did. Another weird thing is that both of us did the medical part too and had some anomalies in that data as well. For instance, it said I would be highly allergic to peanuts which I am not. And it said I wasn't allergic to molds, which is the only thing I am highly allergic to. My friend has the same allergies as I do, and got the same anomalous results in her test. So I am skeptical as to the accuracy of CRI Genetics at this point.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You should download your raw data from CRI and upload free to GEDmatch like 2sleepy said and as I said in my 1st reply to you. You can run your ethnicity there. GEDmatch allows LE (law enforcement) to also upload crime scene and rape kit DNA. They automatically opt us into LE matching when you upload, while you're on that 1st screen, filling out your name, user name, sex, Mitochondrial haplogroup, Name of Testing Company, you're going to select other and type in CRI Genetics, check the box your DNA, then you'll see Select one of the following privacy options for this kit: you'll see opt in checked, #2 is opt out if you don't want to do it.

1. This kit will be shown in match results for all other kits in the database. The operators of GEDmatch encourage everybody to select this option unless they have specific reasons not to. Opt-in

2. This kit will be shown in match results for all other kits in the database, except for kits identified as being uploaded by law enforcement representatives. Opt-out

One other tip - where it says Name of Donor: I suggest you use an alias here because even though you can add an alias, it's been showing real names so I do not put real names any more.

Please use the DNA donor's real name here. If you don't want the real name displayed, you may also enter an alias in the box below.

Hi There Roselvr! I am not a pro geneologist but I did upload my ancestryDNA to GEDmatch. (all european, some weird ancestry inconsistencies)
I know this sounds dumb but how do I use it once my dna file uploads?
Does GED provide a summary for me or do i need to press some buttons?
Im sorry Im a total luddite

Thank You!

Old 12-30-2020, 09:38 PM

760 posts, read 767,805 times
Quote:
Part of the problem with trying to define whether a person is English or Scandinavian is that England was invaded by Vikings and most of their population has a large amount of Scandinavian DNA.

That's the thing, accuracy plummets when you go back hundreds of years, going back 100-150 years would be fairly accurate but not further back into the Viking era!

Old 12-30-2020, 09:47 PM

760 posts, read 767,805 times
Quote:
I don't even subscribe to Ancestry anymore I was getting inundated with emails from possible 3rd or 4th cousins who didn't even have a family tree asking me to tell them how I am related to them

They are not "possible" 3rd or 4th cousins they ARE your cousins, possibly 3rd or 4th, the "possible" in this context means they might be 2nd 3rd, 4th or 5th cousins, but they ARE related to you otherwise they wouldnt show up in your matches in the first place.

I personally wouldnt bother much with anyone further back than about 3rd cousin or 4th- none further back will know anything about you, your parents etc

Ive found a couple of "possible 3rd-4th" cousins in my results were actually 1st or 2nd cousins, that is why I would not dismiss 3rd or 4th because that's ONLY an estimate and Ive found it can be wrong.

Just the other day a woman in my matches showing as 1st- 2nd cousin turns out her grandmother was the wife of my fathers' vanished and assumed dead brother, since they were brothers they had the same DNA.

Quote:
DNA RELATIONSHIP

1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA:
536 cM across 24 segments

Old 12-31-2020, 04:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Hi There Roselvr! I am not a pro geneologist but I did upload my ancestryDNA to GEDmatch. (all european, some weird ancestry inconsistencies)
I know this sounds dumb but how do I use it once my dna file uploads?
Does GED provide a summary for me or do i need to press some buttons?
Im sorry Im a total luddite

Thank You!
I don't go there much and am not great with it. See my direction post here, scroll down to GEdmatch, then go to the blog by PA2UK, bold and red. I'll copy it below. Left in wegene and DNA land if you're interested in them too.

Quote:
Updated with more links

Now to the DNA

WeGene, - gives ethnicity for free as well as haplogroup. I'm still learning the site. 23andme's V5 chip now has been supported by WeGene. Users who tested with 23andme after August and uploaded your data shall have access to your ancestry composition analysis and others

GEDmatch Genesis Also be sure to upload to here too as it is separate from GEDmatch. Right now it's beta, eventually it will be merged with GEDmatch. IT contains results from the major 3 as well as results from 24 Genetics, Atlas, Complete Genomics, DNA Land, Full Genomes, Gencove, Gene By Gene, Genes For Good, Genos, GPS Originas, HGDP (Stanford), Living DNA, NatGeo, Oxford (FTDNA), We Gene, YSEQ, and some labs that a few of my matches used; Parabon, Dante Labs, Whole Genome and other sites that are not supported with regular GEDmatch. It also says there are more accurate matching tools.

GEDmatch where you can upload both your DNA and a GEDcom file; look for matches and do all sorts of things with finding out your ethnicity that's more involved then any of the other companies. They go back to hunter-gatherer. GEDmatch upload in case you can't find it. It only takes a few minutes to upload the DNA, then you can play around with the tools. Full results will come in a day or 2. I have not spent much time here so can't go into more detail on the matches. There are tutorials on DNA matching that I have not read yet. Click here to register

To get the break down on your ethnicity, see below GEDmatch Heritage Tool

GEDmatch Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research -
Analyze Your Data
'One-to-one' compare
X 'One-to-one'
Admixture (heritage) - Eurogenes and other admixture utilities
Admixture/Oracle with Population Search
Phasing
People who match one or both of 2 kits Updated
Predict Eye Color
Are your parents related?
3D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA matches
Multiple Kit Analysis NEW
DNA File Diagnostic Utility

GEDmatch Heritage Tool
copy your DNA sample number, go to Admixture (heritage), select project, Eurogenes. Next page, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number: Select the 'calculator' model to use: Eurogenes K13, Enter your Ethnicity: you'll then get the graph, Eurogenes K13 Admixture Proportions; under the populations on the left, you'll see oracle and oracle -4

Here's a basic intro guide to gedmatch's admixture calculators: Genealogical Musings: Finally! A Gedmatch Admixture Guide!

Near East Neolithic K13 - select Admixture (heritage), Select the project GedrosiaDNA, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number; Select the 'calculator' model to use: Near East Neolithic K13

DNA Land - free upload of raw data. See the Frequently Asked Questions to see what you can do and directions to upload multiple raw data files from other relatives

Q - I have consent from a number of my family members to upload their DNA files/I have DNA files from all three of the companies, but I only have one email address. Is there anyway I can make multiple accounts with one email? (top)
A - We can currently handle a single genotype file per user/account as part of the consent process. But, if you are able to use a Gmail account, there is a trick that will allow you to create all your accounts using one email address. Say that your Gmail address is dna.land.user@gmail.com. To upload another family member (say your mother) to DNA.Land, create an account with the email dna.land.user+mom@gmail.com. Though it may look weird, DNA.Land will accept this as a valid email account. When we send the validation email to dna.land.user+mom@gmail.com, Google will redirect the message to YOUR account (dna.land.user@gmail.com). You can do that for as many genomes as you’d like, all under one Gmail account

Old 01-03-2021, 12:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
I don't go there much and am not great with it. See my [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/2810291-family-tree-dna-general-instructions.html#post52497844"]direction post here[/URL], scroll down to GEdmatch, then go to the blog by PA2UK, bold and red. I'll copy it below. Left in wegene and DNA land if you're interested in them too.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy