Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 06:38 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,228,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How the heck do I do that? I got these growing on an old Log. Do I just cut it off and throw them in the holes? lol

Those are bracket fungi - they are very hard
They are not edible - some could be used as medicine. But some are poisonous.
Their spores are underneath the “bracket” in small tubes. You could knock them over the stumps or leave the cap pieces inside your drill holes?
Try to ID your bracket mushrooms first, maybe you are better off with other types?
I can’t ID it - not enough for ID. Try yourself - is the tree log from the beech?

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/ischn...resinosum.html

You could try edible mushrooms. You could purchase the spawn or collect spores- even from the store bought mushrooms - just by leaving a cap on a medium. The medium is different - according to the mushroom type you are trying to grow.

Growing from spores may require some trying. The spawn is foolproof and safe. It is important to know what you are growing for safety
https://www.chicagobotanic.org/blog/...m_spore_prints

I was able to grow shiitake from the spores on wood chips - from the store bought/the ones I needed to discard. Just placed it on wood chips and noted the location - you don’t want bad mushrooms to grow and eat them by chance - stay safe.
Look into FungiPerfecti company or similar

https://fungi.com/

Some further info if you are interested regarding growing on stumps-not sure if it is applicable to your situation

https://www.goba.eu/en/library/how-t...n-tree-stumps/

Last edited by L00k4ward; 04-03-2022 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 09:24 PM

10,392 posts, read 6,963,408 times
Quote:
last thing I want to do is fill it with something that can ignite?

You told me all I need to know.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2022, 07:03 AM

13,066 posts, read 18,206,231 times
We gave up after 2 1/2 years with a huge juniper pine stump. We let it dry out, drilled holes, packed them with lint and hit it with a match, tried Stump Out and finally our patience gave out. We called the tree service and they ground it out for us. It was out on the back lawn and now it is all grass.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:45 AM

83,625 posts, read 75,673,923 times
Quote:
Show us your stumps!

I'm doing an experiment.

Which side will rot out faster? Multiple 1" holes a foot deep or 3 chainsaw slits 4-8" deep?
1 year later ...……

See anything?

How about now? Cherry Tree still alive!

And no, not rotted out yet. Curious if the holes or the cuts will rot out first.

Trees are so incredibly resilient around here. You can top them off and even cut the entire thing down at the base and they'll still grow!

Old 05-22-2023, 12:06 PM

7,077 posts, read 11,378,521 times
Quote:
1 year later ...……

See anything?

And no, not rotted out yet. Curious if the holes or the cuts will rot out first.

Trees are so incredibly resilient around here. You can top them off and even cut the entire thing down at the base and they'll still grow!
Yeah, so anytime I see somebody cutting down a locust tree, I turn to my kids and say "That person will have two dozen locust trees by this time next year," and like clockwork it happens.

Not all trees coppice or sucker, but lots of common hardwoods do.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:39 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,573,152 times
My bradford pear was taken out a few years ago. I let the stump sit for lack of not knowing or caring about what to do about it. Last month, I had some volunteers from my church help to clean up my yard. They cut that stump down to the base and when I went to dig it up it had decomposed on its own. I didn't do anything to help it along. There are still some thick roots I will need to take care of soon. One of those volunteers told me to drill holes in stumps and then pour buttermilk in them. I haven't done the buttermilk part yet as I'm still deciding what I want to come back in a smaller form.

I had a leak in my main water line and had to replace it. I'm trying to cut down on the roots that run around my yard where that line is now.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:51 PM

4,250 posts, read 2,557,922 times
I have had removed five old oak trees. (Still have 12 more.) The oldest stump is 7 years old and is still mostly there. But there was a large hollow in it, so I filled it with leaves and dirt and planted hosta which love it. The newest stumps are two chestnut oaks, one is rotting fast, the other not so fast. I have tried on all of them different things: drilling holes, leaving them to rot, drilling holes and putting in fertilizer, sour milk. In the end, I think it is just what's going on underneath that we can't see. Termites love the stumps here in the south for what that's worth knowing.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,603,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
How deep are the holes?

You might want to get some "tree root product" to speed up the decay process. (Or, fill each hole up with diesel fuel, a few times.)

Better yet, pay someone with a root grinder to pulp the stump into chips, then use the chips as compost material. This is the best option as it's instantaneous. And, it's beneficial to your yard.
If the grinder operator knows what he's doing, he'll contact BUD to check for any utilities underneath. I had a hemlock cut down but they couldn't do anything to the stump because the natural gas line from the street to my house was right underneath. All the vibration from the grinder could affect the gas line.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:52 PM

6,182 posts, read 4,578,689 times
I can't help myself. I have to put my neighbor's "stump" pictures up. The tree was brittle, and started to calve off branches the size of - well, gigantic branches attached to great chunks of the tree. In one picture, the same tree (that didn't calve) is on the left and when its brother was cut to a stump, they told the neighbor it was still a live tree and could re-grow from the stump. What you see on the right, and in the other picture, is their passive decision that I feel we're all going to live to regret.

The actual stump in the foreground is my dead pear tree, and I'm on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tree Stumps-img_3584.jpg   Tree Stumps-img_3585.jpg  

Old 05-25-2023, 06:37 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,228,322 times
Quote:
1 year later ...……

See anything?

The issues of the sprouting is - cambium- is still alive

Remove the bark - completely - put some fertilizer into the stump’s holes, put some grass clipping combined with a bit of old leaves combo - cover with the layer of soil and pee/water on it - that’s the natural way.

Your stump got dry over the winter (like a firewood )- moisture is the key to decomposition - luckily you will have heat over the summer - just add moisture and a microbial inoculant - compost/good loam, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden