Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

My favorite and recommended is #3 below.

According to MSU Turf Tips:

Best Choices for Grub Control Products
  1. Scotts Grub-Ex - Granular
    chlorantraniliprole 0.08%
    Apply between April 15 and May 15 for best results, but can be applied through June 20th.
  2. Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control and Turf Revitalizer - Granular
    imidacloprid 0.25% and fertilizer
    Apply between June 1 and July 15 for best results.
  3. Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Granules - Granular
    cyfluthrin 0.05% and imidacloprid 0.15%
  4. Bayer Advanced Season-Long Grub Control Liquid - attach-to-hose-bottle
    imidacloprid 1.47%
  5. (local distributors name) Premium Grub Control (Do not confuse with "Premium Insect Control")
    imidacloprid 0.2%
Poor Choices for Grub Control Products
  1. Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Liquid attach-to-hose-bottle
    cyfluthrin 0.36% and imidacloprid 0.72%
    This product will not deliver enough imidacloprid to work effectively - do not confuse this with the Bayer Advanced combination granular or the Bayer Advanced attach-to-hose-bottle product containing only imidacloprid (both of which do deliver enough chemical per area to be effective).
  2. Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer Once and Done Granules
    gamma-cyhalothrin 0.05%
    Will not kill grubs at any rate.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 05-22-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Default All About Grubs!

Old 05-22-2016, 05:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Early April is when you treat for grubs. If you missed that date then you need to treat in the early fall when the grubs begin to grow into adults. You can put down whatever you want after April, and it won't do a damn bit of good til the cool weather returns.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Default How To Get Rid Of Grub Worms In The Lawn

Fast forward to 4:30 mins for an excellent explanation of how grubs grow through the seasons (it is an annual process).

Grubs start feeding in early July through August with brown spots displaying in September.

Grubs can actually feed in late March-April, but as Allyn highlights, one of the BIGGEST misconceptions is treating for grubs in the Spring timeframe of late March/April (8:00 mins).

Treat for grubs in June with a preventive product and it must be watered in.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Just picked up a 20,000 Sq ft bag of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Granules at Lowes for $17...excellent price!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Going with Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control and Turf Revitalizer - Granular this year.

Just put it down today.

Be sure to time your product correctly depending on which one you go with.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM

51 posts, read 120,218 times
No grub control, fungicide, or other extra chemical treatments for me. Haven't used anything besides a crabgrass pre-emergent and miloganite for years along with spot spraying some dandelions in spring.

Anytime I dig up a chunk of grass, I do find grubs. If your grass is healthy, you cut high, apply milorganite, and promote deep roots with with infrequent deep watering....your yard can handle a population of grubs. I don't aerate either.

Sometimes we all try to make lawncare more difficult than it needs to be. The more chemicals you apply to your yards, the harder it is on your grass. Lawn chemicals also get in the way of deep root growth of your grass.

I'm a fan of "The Lawncare Nut", but he seems to be pushing more chemicals lately, or maybe I just noticed it after signing up for his email updates. Of course I'm sure there's more money in kickbacks/referrals from the chemical providers. Probably not a lot of money in just keeping it simple with Milorganite, cutting high, and watering deeply.

Anyhow just my two cents.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmabt View Post
No grub control, fungicide, or other extra chemical treatments for me. Haven't used anything besides a crabgrass pre-emergent and miloganite for years along with spot spraying some dandelions in spring.

Anytime I dig up a chunk of grass, I do find grubs. If your grass is healthy, you cut high, apply milorganite, and promote deep roots with with infrequent deep watering....your yard can handle a population of grubs. I don't aerate either.

Sometimes we all try to make lawncare more difficult than it needs to be. The more chemicals you apply to your yards, the harder it is on your grass. Lawn chemicals also get in the way of deep root growth of your grass.

I'm a fan of "The Lawncare Nut", but he seems to be pushing more chemicals lately, or maybe I just noticed it after signing up for his email updates. Of course I'm sure there's more money in kickbacks/referrals from the chemical providers. Probably not a lot of money in just keeping it simple with Milorganite, cutting high, and watering deeply.

Anyhow just my two cents.
I disagree on the grubs. I get them every year in the same sections of my lawn. I can take a thatch rake and pull up big sections of grass because the roots have been eaten. I get these brown spots earlier than what has been mentioned. I'll probably start seeing them in late July. I'll throw some grass seed down and usually have new grass by September. I've used all the grub control products on the market but they always come back.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 PM

51 posts, read 120,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I disagree on the grubs. I get them every year in the same sections of my lawn. I can take a thatch rake and pull up big sections of grass because the roots have been eaten. I get these brown spots earlier than what has been mentioned. I'll probably start seeing them in late July. I'll throw some grass seed down and usually have new grass by September. I've used all the grub control products on the market but they always come back.
If it's same spots, seems grass is having trouble getting fully established before next year grubs attacked. We have lots of grubs in both the lawn and flower beds that I see anytime I'm digging around. But minimal die-back from grub damage. Our grass is very established so probably more tolerant of the grub activity.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM

346 posts, read 551,021 times
This is the third year that I've put down Dylox (first week of June) and there's been no sign of moles or patches of dead lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden