Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2023, 05:55 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,937 times

Advertisements

Yes Fairbanks is still on my radar and I'm ordering the Milepost, thank you all for the help so far. I assume everyone flying into Fairbanks flies into Fairbanks International Airport (FAI).

So my next question is, depending on the time of year, for example this upcoming winter season when it hits peak cold temperatures, does the airport shut down periodically or have shut down or black out periods where there are no flights at all in/out of Fairbanks, i.e. everyone pretty much snowbound? Or do planes still fly in/out when it's minus 40F or colder?

Would/have there be any cases where flights to Fairbanks get directed to Anchorage and therefore people would have to make the 360 mile trek to Fairbanks on the road from Anchorage?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 08:30 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
No, it doesn't shut down. All Alaska airports are equipped to deal with snow events.

At extremely low temps rarely seen, can't remember threshold, some prop planes won't fly. Not applicable to jets AFAIK.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:54 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Conditions actually are be clearer and drier when the temperatures are super low. You're more likely to get weather delays when it's warmer and snowier than when it's -40.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:04 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
-40F is indeed the threshold. At least, according to the book "Eagle Blue". It's an excellent Alaskana story chronicling one season in the life of the Fort Yukon boys HS basketball team. Author Michael D'Orso says that the state of Alaska forbids schools to fly when it's colder than 40 below. Of course, he's referring to small schools such as this, where jet travel is not an option.

"This is the primary reason 1A teams wait so long to begin their seasons. They want to get past winter's most severe stretch, typically from mid-December to mid-January, when temperatures in a place like Fort Yukon can plummet as low as the minus-sixties."

Old 09-05-2023, 10:42 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,655,886 times
It is pretty rare for either Fairbanks or Anchorage to shut down their airports, winter included. Keep in mind that at the typical cruising altitude for a jet airliner (35,000 ft give or take) it is -40F to -50F.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Personal observation. We flew in/out of Fairbanks last December during a cold spell. No delays flying at the Airport. Rental car issues did come up. The first car they gave us was frozen and wouldn't start (not plugged in and not driven for several days). The second one lasted 5 days before it wouldn't drive. Started fine, but switched into some type of mode that would allow it to only drive about 5 mph. It was plugged in all night, every night, and drove long distances during the day. The rental company brought us a new vehicle and hauled away the old one.

Anyway, our flights were just fine in and out.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:09 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Personal observation. We flew in/out of Fairbanks last December during a cold spell. No delays flying at the Airport. Rental car issues did come up. The first car they gave us was frozen and wouldn't start (not plugged in and not driven for several days). The second one lasted 5 days before it wouldn't drive. Started fine, but switched into some type of mode that would allow it to only drive about 5 mph. It was plugged in all night, every night, and drove long distances during the day. The rental company brought us a new vehicle and hauled away the old one.

Anyway, our flights were just fine in and out.
I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time with your rental. The corporate chains don't winterize their vehicles or put winter tires on them. To my knowledge, Alaska Auto Rental is the only place in Fairbanks that rents winterized vehicles with winter tires.

https://alaskaautorental.com/index.php

Old 09-07-2023, 09:43 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Thanks riceme. We had a great visit. Enjoyed the cold snap. Got great views of the auroras, which was on my wife's bucket list. We did notice the tires right away as the rear end slid out on one of my first turns. Kind of told me to be more careful right away. I got used to how the SUV handled after a few more forced slides and spins in an empty parking lot, and then had no troubles after that. We'll be back for a summer visit in a year or two. We need a tropical vacation next though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks