Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,517 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

To give you a little background about myself I am 22 years old and hoping to attend UAF to receive my masters degree in Wildlife Conservation Sciences. I have traveled all over the U.S. but I’ve never been to Alaska before. Also I know it’s a whole different animal when it comes to the weather but I did live in Colorado for over 6 years and loved the snow and the cold weather, in fact that’s what I prefer. My question here is how hard is it to make such a big move? I have two cats and a dog that would be coming along in the move and I’m not sure the beat way to go about it. I’m planning on moving there about a year from now or maybe a little less and I dont know if I should try to find some sort of on campus housing (if my animals are allowed) or if there are better places to look for housing. I know that everything is more expensive there but I’d assume that income is slightly higher as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 09:40 AM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
All those are fine questions and concerns, but your main concern at this time should be "How do I get there?" Canada is still closed to most non-commercial border traffic. And for those able to cross the border, there is a 14 day quarantine. Doesn't matter that you are driving straight to Alaska with no side trips. And Canada is not allowing cruise ships to stop in port. Flying seems to be the only way. But then you won't be bringing much in the way of personal belongings. Even with the new vaccines available, the Chinese Communist Party virus is still a headache.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:59 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristover View Post
Good morning,

To give you a little background about myself I am 22 years old and hoping to attend UAF to receive my masters degree in Wildlife Conservation Sciences. I have traveled all over the U.S. but I’ve never been to Alaska before. Also I know it’s a whole different animal when it comes to the weather but I did live in Colorado for over 6 years and loved the snow and the cold weather, in fact that’s what I prefer. My question here is how hard is it to make such a big move? I have two cats and a dog that would be coming along in the move and I’m not sure the beat way to go about it. I’m planning on moving there about a year from now or maybe a little less and I dont know if I should try to find some sort of on campus housing (if my animals are allowed) or if there are better places to look for housing. I know that everything is more expensive there but I’d assume that income is slightly higher as well?
Housing will be tight and expensive, even more so with multiple pets. Can't imagine any campus housing will permit pets. Your professors may know of options that have worked for their other students. As the timing gets closer, I'd be talking to fellow students about what worked or didn't work for them.

Transporting the pets will be a major undertaking too. By the time you make the move, who knows what Covid-19 restrictions will be imposed by Canada, so it is pointless to make those suggestions. Your options, pandemic or not, will be to fly, take the ferry as far as possible and drive, or drive the entire way. Sure, you can fly your pets with you...for a price. The ferry takes pets as long as they can travel in your vehicle. If you drive through Canada they'll need proper vaccinations and health certificates.

Yes, Fairbanks will be cold in winter...but its more than that. Its the extreme unrelenting nature of it, how long it lasts, what it will cost to keep any home warm enough for pets (many students live in "dry" cabins; unheated except with a wood stove you must be there to fire, no plumbing so you're hauling water or using facilities on campus). Plus, you'll be dealing with the dark.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
All those are fine questions and concerns, but your main concern at this time should be "How do I get there?" Canada is still closed to most non-commercial border traffic. And for those able to cross the border, there is a 14 day quarantine. Doesn't matter that you are driving straight to Alaska with no side trips. And Canada is not allowing cruise ships to stop in port. Flying seems to be the only way. But then you won't be bringing much in the way of personal belongings. Even with the new vaccines available, the Chinese Communist Party virus is still a headache.
For travelers that are allowed to transit through to Alaska that 14 day quarantine does not apply. This has already been hashed out in previous posts.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Housing will be tight and expensive, even more so with multiple pets. Can't imagine any campus housing will permit pets. Your professors may know of options that have worked for their other students. As the timing gets closer, I'd be talking to fellow students about what worked or didn't work for them.

Transporting the pets will be a major undertaking too. By the time you make the move, who knows what Covid-19 restrictions will be imposed by Canada, so it is pointless to make those suggestions. Your options, pandemic or not, will be to fly, take the ferry as far as possible and drive, or drive the entire way. Sure, you can fly your pets with you...for a price. The ferry takes pets as long as they can travel in your vehicle. If you drive through Canada they'll need proper vaccinations and health certificates.

Yes, Fairbanks will be cold in winter...but its more than that. Its the extreme unrelenting nature of it, how long it lasts, what it will cost to keep any home warm enough for pets (many students live in "dry" cabins; unheated except with a wood stove you must be there to fire, no plumbing so you're hauling water or using facilities on campus). Plus, you'll be dealing with the dark.
As far as I know, for the past few years pets are allowed in residences on campus, even in the dorms (the latter I have no idea if pets are allowed, but they were a year or two ago). But housing is expensive regardless if living on campus or not.

https://www.uaf.edu/reslife/garden-apartments.php
Quote:
Pets are welcome in campus employee, family, and graduate residence facilities in compliance with policies and procedures established by Residence Life. Appropriate fees and deposits will be applicable.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:49 AM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
For travelers that are allowed to transit through to Alaska that 14 day quarantine does not apply. This has already been hashed out in previous posts.
My mistake. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,517 times
What about the ferry? Are they not allowing the ferry from Washington to Alaska?

Old 04-28-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristover View Post
What about the ferry? Are they not allowing the ferry from Washington to Alaska?
The ferry is operating. Covid-19 info here:

AMHS Response to COVID-19 | Alaska Marine Highway System

But this is present day. Again, you aren't planning to move for a year or more.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-28-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
I know someone who is looking for a grad student to shore his house with. He has a dog so may be open to other pets. He wants someone in his house so he can travel. You might look for other deals like this.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I know someone who is looking for a grad student to shore his house with. He has a dog so may be open to other pets. He wants someone in his house so he can travel. You might look for other deals like this.
OP hasn't been active here since May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: