Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

Well, there are all kinds of activities taking place around Fairbanks this week, which will give you plenty of opportunities for taking pictures. Hopefully you will have another chance to see the Auroras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times
Tomorrow I'm going on a nature walk at Creamer's Field; today I just walked around where I'm staying (before a quick trip into Fairbanks), relished the quiet and enjoyed the scenery.

Always love watching the night sky, Aurora or no--and while it is glorious when it gets really bright, I also love the lower-level lights in the dark sky; there is something haunting about them.

I haven't seen any of the winter games events yet; have you? Figure you will have some good photos of events, along with the opening ceremonies.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Tomorrow I'm going on a nature walk at Creamer's Field; today I just walked around where I'm staying (before a quick trip into Fairbanks), relished the quiet and enjoyed the scenery.

Always love watching the night sky, Aurora or no--and while it is glorious when it gets really bright, I also love the lower-level lights in the dark sky; there is something haunting about them.

I haven't seen any of the winter games events yet; have you? Figure you will have some good photos of events, along with the opening ceremonies.
The opening ceremony was last evening (Sunday), and I haven't had the time to attend any of the games. Maybe Friday, since I don't work that day (the beginning of Spring Break) I can go and take photos of whatever is happening at the moment. I will have to check the schedule of event's before Friday, and then decide what to do. The Native events are always interesting, but I prefer to take pictures outdoors with lots of daylight. I believe that the Open North American Championship (Unlimited sled dog race) takes place Friday through Sunday, so I have to look around for a good spot to take pictures from with the sun on my back. Last year I was taking photos by the Golf Course at Farmers Loop, and it was very difficult since there was just too much light from the snow being reflected toward the camera. I will have to find a better spot, I guess

About the night sky, I imagine that you have already noticed how clear the skies are on a dark night when standing on high ground around Fairbanks? I love to watch the stars all over the sky. I would think that it's the same in some of the desert areas of Arizona (clear skies and lots of stars to look at).

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The opening ceremony was last evening (Sunday), and I haven't had the time to attend any of the games. Maybe Friday, since I don't work that day (the beginning of Spring Break) I can go and take photos of whatever is happening at the moment. I will have to check the schedule of event's before Friday, and then decide what to do. The Native events are always interesting, but I prefer to take pictures outdoors with lots of daylight. I believe that the Open North American Championship (Unlimited sled dog race) takes place Friday through Sunday, so I have to look around for a good spot to take pictures from with the sun on my back. Last year I was taking photos by the Golf Course at Farmers Loop, and it was very difficult since there was just too much light from the snow being reflected toward the camera. I will have to find a better spot, I guess

About the night sky, I imagine that you have already noticed how clear the skies are on a dark night when standing on high ground around Fairbanks? I love to watch the stars all over the sky. I would think that it's the same in some of the desert areas of Arizona (clear skies and lots of stars to look at).
Yes, I love how the stars sparkle. Including all visits I have been here during all moon phases--love watching the moon and stars both here and in Arizona. I live on the eastern outskirts of the sprawling Phoenix Metro Valley and when I moved to the outskirts in 2004, nothing was out there and the sky just glittered. Sadly as the urban sprawl extended outward, the night sky lost a lot of its brilliance--same thing that happens anywhere--though I have still seen some lovely moonrises, night skies, moonsets, meteor showers, and the occasional fireball!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM

Last night was a fine night--clear and calm, and grew warmer as the night progressed. The lights appeared and danced, and remained faintly there even after the 'show' was over.

The earth is 'tilting' especially in that first picture because I was walking from my room over to the main viewing area, stopping along the way as the lights changed, slipping and sliding as I maneuvered around somebody's car. At least I didn't fall and slide under it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-18 008a.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	127206

Name:	2014-03-18 009a.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	127208

Name:	2014-03-18 026a.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	127207

I hear one of the sporting events was/is at Ski Land today (started at 11:30); wondering how they will handle the crowds up there. I've driven up there just to check out the view and there doesn't seem to be room enough up there for a ton of spectators; maybe they'll shuttle folks in.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Went to the Biathlon Ski/Shoot event out at Birch Hill today. There was a nice-sized group in the bleachers cheering everyone on. They really had a nice day for this. Look forward to the closing ceremonies on Saturday (my last night here); figure that will be a nice way to distract from the fact my trip is drawing to a close.

Name:	2014-03-20 206a.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	127328

Name:	2014-03-20 203a.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	127329

Name:	2014-03-20 197a.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	127330

Name:	2014-03-20 195a.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	127331

Name:	2014-03-20 174a.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	127332

Name:	2014-03-20 172a.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	127333

Went on that nature walk at Creamer's Field and while we didn't see a lot of wildlife, I still enjoyed the walk.

Someone had been living here (not recently).

Name:	2014-03-20 148a.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	127344

The guide said these were snowshoe hare tracks (these look a little different than images I've found online, but I realize they'd change with snow/melting/wind/etc.).

Name:	2014-03-20 154a.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	127345

I am sure this area is beautiful in summer, but I enjoyed seeing it now.

Name:	2014-03-20 162a.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	127346

Aurora was lovely last night; I've gone a little crazy with Aurora photos, but I am so glad to have been able to see it again this trip. I don't foresee continuing my annual stays on Cleary Summit, so I consider myself most fortunate to have been able to come up four years running and to have seen lovely skies each time.

Name:	2014-03-20 050a.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	127335

Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM

All very nice photos, and the one of the Auroras is quite beautiful.

I certainly hope that you can continue visiting Alaska, as you seem to be having lots of fun

Just noticed that Ovation shows some active Auroras coming in, although the UAF Auroras forecast shows a number 2.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-20-2014 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 AM

One reason for the trips--while waiting for the housing market to recover (I'm a homeowner in AZ, and we were hit very hard second only to Nevada, I believe)--is that I wanted to see if I really was drawn to this area, with an eye toward the future. My employer is here, though my specific position is not; still, I think it is possible I could transition into something else and stay with them.

My first trip up was so idyllic in every way that I needed to come back to see if I was just on a high from a fabulous vacation or if--as I suspected--I was drawn to this 'subarctic desert'. Whether I could ever swing it financially remains to be seen, plus a lot of other stuff would need to be worked out. Time will tell--but however things go, I have had four great trips, seen wonderful sights, done fun things, met nice people, and just all around have had a great time.

And the lights are back tonight.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
One reason for the trips--while waiting for the housing market to recover (I'm a homeowner in AZ, and we were hit very hard second only to Nevada, I believe)--is that I wanted to see if I really was drawn to this area, with an eye toward the future. My employer is here, though my specific position is not; still, I think it is possible I could transition into something else and stay with them.

My first trip up was so idyllic in every way that I needed to come back to see if I was just on a high from a fabulous vacation or if--as I suspected--I was drawn to this 'subarctic desert'. Whether I could ever swing it financially remains to be seen, plus a lot of other stuff would need to be worked out. Time will tell--but however things go, I have had four great trips, seen wonderful sights, done fun things, met nice people, and just all around have had a great time.

And the lights are back tonight.
Was up there near the place you are staying at, and the Auroras were great. Took around 100 photos. Anyway, just when I started driving down the road, I noticed something in the middle of the road that caught my attention, so I backed-up and realized that it was a wallet. It seems that a guy from USC (CA), may have placed his wallet on his car and drove off. That's why I found it

Anyway, I drove back to the parking area where the white busses park, and asked a few people if anybody had lost a wallet. A Chinese couple told me that the person who lost the wallet is Chinese, too. But nowhere in the wallet I could find his phone number. There was no driver's license, just several credit cards (some from USC), and some cash among other things.

I wrote an email to the USC Woodshop, since this person may have worked there last year (there is a Woodshop student card with his name, dated 2013). Hopefully they can call him and give them my phone number, since by now he probably is going crazy looking for his wallet----

2:30 AM, and the Auroras are still out there. Going to bed....

Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Ray, where you were do you turn right/east heading northbound on the Steese?

Where I stay you take a left, then make a couple more turns, etc--they do offer nightly tours and have a couple of mini vans they use to shuttle folks, but no actual busses come in here--though if they have a good-sized tour group they are making a lot of trips back and forth.

How fortunate you found that person's wallet. What a place to lose your wallet, keys, etc. Yikes.

I was out chasing the lights night before last; this last night I shot most of the pictures from my room, and some of what I remember best I didn't shoot, I just watched. Last night's/this morning's Aurora reminded me of 2011. Photos (mine, anyway) never quite do it justice, though they are wonderful to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks