Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 06:53 AM

500 posts, read 359,083 times

Advertisements

Big fan of walking, for both mental and physical health.

I've had several surgeries and I used walking for my recovery.

When I've had injuries and can't do my regular physical activities I use walking until I am recovered.

Just being outside does wonders for my mental health - I live in an area ( PNW ) where SAD has to be dealt with in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 07:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,581 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Some of the Harvard study might be a little flawed - those with the ability to walk 22 minutes a day are obviously healthier than those who don't have the ability to do that. So when you factor in people who don't have any ability to walk for exercise/recreation, you're counting a lot of unhealthy people in that group of people who don't get in their 22 minutes.

But I've always loved walking. It's therapeutic. Especially, for me, if I walk without any supplemental noise in ear phones, and just am aware of everything going on at the present.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:55 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But I've always loved walking. It's therapeutic. Especially, for me, if I walk without any supplemental noise in ear phones, and just am aware of everything going on at the present.
Yes! I never walk with ear phones...I love the sounds of nature.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:35 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
What I found interesting in the article is when they say this :
Quote:
Furthermore, although the authors and/or distance walked) in both studies makes this
reported a linear relationship between steps/day (r = approach to physical activity recommendations
0.7257) and a measure of insulin sensitivity, it ap- somewhat different from previous ones.
pears that no one took less than 10 000 steps/day. Interventions have shown improvement in imOverall, the impressive results must therefore be portant health outcomes with an increment of 4300
steps/day over baseline[34] attributed to averaging 19 000 steps/day (not to but also with as little as
approximately 2500 steps/day over baseline.[37,38] 10 000 steps/day). Iwane et al.[33] reported that hy- In
Canada, the First Step Program[10,17] pertensive individuals who averaged >13 000 steps/ advocates selfday for 12 weeks significantly reduced their blood directed goal-setting (relevant to personal baseline
pressure, providing support for taking >13 000 values) and self-monitoring. This approach has gensteps/day.
https://link.springer.com/article/10...00434010-00001

If you like to walk, walk. Walking over 10,000 steps a day has additional benefits.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:45 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Some of the Harvard study might be a little flawed - those with the ability to walk 22 minutes a day are obviously healthier than those who don't have the ability to do that. So when you factor in people who don't have any ability to walk for exercise/recreation, you're counting a lot of unhealthy people in that group of people who don't get in their 22 minutes.

That's the problem with all of these studies. Confounders. These flaws are widely acknowledged in the literature and the studies themselves.

But the way to think about 10,000 steps a day is this way. An average healthy adult, who is not sedentary, will do around 4,000-6,000 steps a day doing normal daily tasks. A 30 minute walk is approximately 4,000 steps. So they will need to do walk for 1-1.5 hours to get to 10,000 steps. Or they can do jogging, and accumulate this is in 30-45 minutes.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:50 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Just being outside does wonders for my mental health - I live in an area ( PNW ) where SAD has to be dealt with in the winter.
Likewise, and I tend to take more walks in the winter than the summer.
I often take my walks after dark for the solitude - last night around 9pm I walked around my downtown area and didn't encounter one other person. After dark also allows me to walk faster/swing my arms higher without worrying that I look like a frenetic maniac to others.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Likewise, and I tend to take more walks in the winter than the summer.
I often take my walks after dark for the solitude - last night around 9pm I walked around my downtown area and didn't encounter one other person. After dark also allows me to walk faster/swing my arms higher without worrying that I look like a frenetic maniac to others.
Yes! Always remember to swing those arms...who cares what others think

Old 12-22-2023, 09:36 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wonder how many steps people take vs. how many they think/claim to take.

My MIL is famous for claiming over and over that she walks 3-4 miles with the dog every day, and when my wife accompanied her a couple times on the route it was 1.1 miles.
Your example is certainly a gross exaggeration!

With a smartwatch/fitbit the calculation is done for them. As recently noted, 10,000 steps is not really a huge amount. Many people will accumulate that number before noon if they're active. ( And a morning person. )

Old 12-22-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
With a smartwatch/fitbit the calculation is done for them.
Thanks for that...I just went on Amazon and ordered a pink, ladies Fitbit. Arrives tomorrow, before Xmas - I'm excited

Old 12-22-2023, 10:38 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wonder how many steps people take vs. how many they think/claim to take.

My MIL is famous for claiming over and over that she walks 3-4 miles with the dog every day, and when my wife accompanied her a couple times on the route it was 1.1 miles.
I am sure the dog goes for a walk more then once a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness