Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 02:41 PM

22 posts, read 14,445 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be insensitive but I was curious.

Did you know any women who have played or as they say in their line of work "Become friends with" a princess at a Disney theme park?

If so what were they like?

Were they they artsy theater types?

Were they the popular cheerleader party girl types?

These ones look like the people I would bump into at the local grocery store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eV3XWucL1Q

This one looks like the popular girl influencer type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KQH4R06Dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFLdzWFTv0

Would it even be possible to be a princess at a Disney theme park and be a popular party girl and/or high achieving college student at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 08:46 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
the kind that seek employment?

Old 01-18-2024, 06:52 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
Perhaps some are.

Quote:
Perhaps some are.

Quote:
Well yeah. They all need to eat at some point. They don't actually have birds and mice preparing their food.

Quote:
Would it even be possible to be a princess at a Disney theme park and be a popular party girl and/or high achieving college student at the same time?
If they're responsible enough to show up to work, I don't see why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
This. Exactly.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I grew up in southern CA within commuting distance of Disneyland. My youngest sister was a wannabe thespian who eventually pursued a stage/modeling career. She was dead serious about it. She was never a party girl and probably considered girls who needed to be popular or a cheerleader vapid and dumb. A job playing a Disney character (including princesses) was sort of a rite of passage and considered a good thing to list on a resume.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-18-2024 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2024, 02:10 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
I worked at Disneyland as a teenager one summer (a long time ago). The young women who were employed as Disney princess characters were all enrolled in theater programs in college or had backgrounds in theater arts. You had to be at least 18 to apply as a cast member for that job. I remember one of them having a beautiful voice. They were all outgoing and talented.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:11 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I worked at Disneyland as a teenager one summer (a long time ago). The young women who were employed as Disney princess characters were all enrolled in theater programs in college or had backgrounds in theater arts. You had to be at least 18 to apply as a cast member for that job. I remember one of them having a beautiful voice. They were all outgoing and talented.
A shipmate is/was a cast member at Disney - not a princess, she's an in-character cast member on Star Wars ride. Gets to sport an Imperial uniform and order people around, nice work if you can get it.

From what she tells, the people taking on the job as meet-and-greet Disney characters are pretty much all from a theater/dance background. They tend to take the job very seriously - people save for years and travel far, and there's a feeling they're owed the best experience. (This doesn't mean they necessarily like the company, mind. But they'll bend over backwards for the guests, particularly kids.)

Other tidbits: There's a lot of dalliances happening - young healthy people, it's to be expected - to the point where Disney's scheduling software is can handle the inevitable break-ups. This Cinderella can't be scheduled with that Prince Charming going forward, very well, nobody bats an eyelid.

And apparently there's a surprising number of dads who will try to flirt or go hands-on with a Disney princess while standing 20 feet from their wife and kids...

Old 02-02-2024, 09:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be insensitive but I was curious.

Did you know any women who have played or as they say in their line of work "Become friends with" a princess at a Disney theme park?

If so what were they like?

I havent watched the vids you posted, but from first hand experience and knowledge of those who play/have played Disney Princess at Disneyland I can say that they are all some of the most upstanding good people you will ever meet. Most were doing it as it paid well and it gave them steady income while pursuing either their college education or career in acting. What I do have to give props to Disney is that they seem to hire really really good down to earth people. None of the ones I know were the get drunk, smoke cigarettes, have lots of tattoos, Lauren Boebert types.

Quote:
What is a "party girl"? The Disney cast members I've known over the years were never what most would consider "party girls" (i.e., the ones that go out to clubs/bars, get drunk and scream "wooooooooo"...). None were like that. They were almost all very young with either some college or college educated and most wanting to break into acting.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
A friend of ours down in Torrance CA who did acting in local theater told me that many of those people working as Disneyland "actors" are doing so in an attempt to be "discovered" by the talent agencies and film producers in that area. Many of them are also in college, taking classes related to the industry, especially those at UCLA.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:48 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
....They tend to take the job very seriously - people save for years and travel far, and there's a feeling they're owed the best experience. (This doesn't mean they necessarily like the company, mind. But they'll bend over backwards for the guests, particularly kids.)

...And apparently there's a surprising number of dads who will try to flirt or go hands-on with a Disney princess while standing 20 feet from their wife and kids...
I can only imagine. All cast members are well trained. You have to be "on" all the time while on the job there. And there is surveillance (employees who are dressed as guests or characters who walk around and observe/interact with cast members). Disney wanted every guest there to truly experience "The Happiest Place on Earth." It was a fun place to work, though; they treat their employees very well.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:56 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
Occam's Razor says Yes. But specifically, employment in the entertainment industry.

I've watched young kids (teenagers or college students I'd guess) breaking their butts doing 50's-themed dances outdoors at little Mom & Pop amusement parks in 90-degree heat with 90% humidity. I thought they must really want to be in the business and are hoping the gig will pay off some day.

So I think the "type" of girl who portrays a Disney Princess live at the theme parks, is the type that wants to be in show biz and treats the job like a job, not a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts