Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 06:56 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

Is anyone still using VHS? We don’t know of anyone in our circles. We no longer have a player but have some videos. We will give them away or sell them cheap on Craigslist if there is a market.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 04:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
VHS? Ha, Goodwill won't even take them. Next to go, DVDs and Blu Rays as streaming has made it all obsolete.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:35 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
VHS? Ha, Goodwill won't even take them. Next to go, DVDs and Blu Rays as streaming has made it all obsolete.
I think they are all pretty much gone already. But yet, I still cant bring myself to get rid of my DVD/BluRay collection. They are all in boxes that havent been opened in a few years. I still have 2 bluray players that are on my shelf.

Also have a very very old tv that has built in VHS player. Keeping that until Im able to transfer a lot of VHS tapes to digital.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 04-12-2022 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-14-2022, 11:15 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
We had a VHS player until at least 2014 and still played them although we started collecting DVDs as soon as they came out. The VCR finally died and when we separated, I tossed the videos. I still have a lot of DVDs and will still buy one that I see if it is cheap. think Walmart three-dollar bin. also, you can find a lot of stuff on eBay. I still want physical copies of movies I really like, because there are too many streaming options to just conjure up a favorite old movie and be able to find it for free. I am all in on streaming for music though.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:08 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
YAWN! I'm sorry, did I hear someone call my name?

Old 04-20-2022, 11:37 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
We have at least 6 boxes in storage with VHS tapes of great shows from the 1990s and 2000s, mainly documentaries and true crime shows which you can only find on YouTube today if you're lucky. We still have a VCR, but we don't have it hooked up. So the tapes are probably going to sit in their boxes for now...

But our DVD collection is still very much part of our entertainment system and our viewing habits. We pick up copies of favorite movies whenever we can, because who knows what will happen to the whole streaming option in the future? If there is anything I miss in the electronic entertainment world of today, it is the ability to record and keep favorite shows.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:51 AM

The movie I watched on Wednesday, Zandy's Bride, was a DVD copied from a VHS. That is the way, these days, I like watching VHS because keeping VCRs operational is so darn hard.

OF COURSE, due to copyright laws, it does mean I need to keep the VHS in storage.......somewhere. I make the copies with what equipment is readily available to the public but if it is copy protected, then I stop.....even if it might still be possible. It all comes back to "what would a reasonable person do?".

While I have the reputation of "keeping alive traditions that were dead before I was born" (so to speak), staying active in the VHS world is not part of it. Machinery, size, things like that. I don't even bother ordering them anymore because they are cheaper.

I think my last conversion was "That Man From Rio,". Bought the tape, made the DVD copy, watched the DVD.

A downside to things is that since DVD copies go into drawers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , often I don't know what the movie is about. Zandy's Bride could have easily been the story of a Kingpin's court ship and marriage as it was a Western. As I was watching it on SUPERCHICK night, the title told me enough.......but one of these days, I have to go through, drawer by drawer, DVD by DVD, and write down on the envelope the basic content of each flick.

As it is, I have so many unwatched (or unremembered) flicks, the library will probably outlive me........but I am trying. There is also the problem of what may be a great flick to others, to the masses, may be absolutely of no interest to me, such as Forrest Gump, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Die Hard. We may all have different tastes.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:01 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
We haven’t had a VCR or VHS tapes in our home since probably around 2005. I recall buying our first VCR in 1984 for around $500. The brand was Sansui. Our last one was a Panasonic which we bought for around $130 in 2000.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We haven’t had a VCR or VHS tapes in our home since probably around 2005. I recall buying our first VCR in 1984 for around $500. The brand was Sansui. Our last one was a Panasonic which we bought for around $130 in 2000.
Had to order 4 or so earlier this year, all for authentication (proper consumer copy) reasons. Three because their previous original source copies were destroyed, one because I found out that I had a paid service copy without an original source.

To meet the legal requirement, whatever they might be out there, that is about the only reason to buy VHS these days and it is rather cheap at that.......even if it is just for peace of mind.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:18 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Is anyone still using VHS? We don’t know of anyone in our circles. We no longer have a player but have some videos. We will give them away or sell them cheap on Craigslist if there is a market.

Thanks much.
Both of my S- VHS VCR's wore out a few years ago Ed Beta was the best format at over 410 lines per inch vs 240 for VHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts