Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:50 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times

Advertisements

I should have mentioned, because I was focused on only one of the questions, that all four of my kids attended public schools and three of them went to public universities. The fourth one is an electrician and has attended courses for that at a public community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 12:23 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have a question for our regulars, and of course, nobody has to answer this...totally up to you. No one is ever forced to answer a CD thread or post, but I do if the subject interests me.

I am curious if you:
a. currently have children in the public school system No.
b. had children in the public school system in the past Yes, two, graduated in 2014 and 2015.
c. never had kids in the public school system See above
d. have or had kids in private schools No. I don't believe in that unless the public schools are unusable for one or another reason.
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum See below

Again, obviously, no one is required to answer.
Other answers in quote box. I am vitally interested in public education. I believe it forms the backbone of a civil society. In my community they are the major source of residential property values. I have a vital financial and personal interest. My wife and to a lesser extent myself still go to Board of Education meetings, and we participate in every budget vote.

Also, what's happening in the schools is a "canary in the coal mine" for the rest of society.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:22 PM

4,872 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
I have a question for our regulars, and of course, nobody has to answer this...totally up to you.

I am curious if you:
a. currently have children in the public school system No children, GRANDchildren.
b. had children in the public school system in the past. 3 kids thru 9th grade, 2 kids thru high school
c. never had kids in the public school system
d. have or had kids in private schools. 1 kid sophomore, junior, and senior years
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum I've seen the difference between a poor school primarily because of ADMINISTRATION (not a jab at you phetoroi) creating issues for the kids years after graduating and what can be accomplished in a higher academic school (the private school my daughter attended). My son, having originally been the "victim" of a poor academic environment and thus having to battle to catch up in college, had made me angry back then and now very reflective. He's now a very good, highly effective high school teacher who, because of his background, knows what it takes to help kids progress into well prepared adults.

See above in blue.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
We moved to another state because of the deterioration of the education system back in the 1990s, where we came from. Our 3 kids did very well here, and are now successful adults, two married with kids and houses. Meanwhile my wife was a paraeducator at a local school for 16 years, and I had been involved with school board issues. Then the schools play a big part in property values, and more importantly, preparing those who will be caring for us in our later years.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:27 PM

4,397 posts, read 1,704,176 times
my responses are in red...

Quote:
I have a question for our regulars, and of course, nobody has to answer this...totally up to you.

I am curious if you:
a. currently have children in the public school system I do not have kids in the PSS
b. had children in the public school system in the past same answer
c. never had kids in the public school system I don't have any kids at all, so true
d. have or had kids in private schools nope
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum because I work in the public school system, and find this forum interesting... sometimes

Old 04-16-2024, 09:27 AM

524 posts, read 247,493 times
a. currently have children in the public school system Yes, two
b. had children in the public school system in the past Yes, two graduated and are currently attending public college/uni
c. never had kids in the public school system n/a
d. have or had kids in private schools no
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum I am a regular lurker and occasional poster. Mostly, over the past several of years I have noticed changes in the school... atmosphere for my younger two children still in school, and also made the mistake of lurking on a teacher subreddit. My goodness, it was so discouraging and disheartening to read how many of the participants hate their jobs, resent 504 plans and IEPs... hell, they barely tolerate students. So may go on and on about how students have changed (this is coming more so from younger teachers than the seasoned teachers). I started lurking here because there are many posters who are current and former educators and I like to read their perspectives. Based on that, I have come to the tentative conclusion that yes, students have changed and there definitely some ****ty enabling parents raising them... but teachers have changed, too. So, I don't know. I look forward to the day when my youngest graduates, but it has been encouraging and therapeutic to read posts from teachers here who actually enjoy teaching and enjoy their students in spite of the difficulties.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:23 PM

13,001 posts, read 9,526,789 times
Quote:

I am curious if you:
a. currently have children in the public school system
b. had children in the public school system in the past
d. have or had kids in private schools
e. why are you a "regular" in this part of the forum

1. No
2. No
3. Never have had
4. Yes
5. Just find it interesting

Old 04-17-2024, 01:17 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,068,986 times
Quote:

I am curious if you:

I'm an educator and I have school-age children.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:46 PM

1,224 posts, read 523,670 times
Quote:

I am curious if you:

In your little "struggle" session you forgot f. do you pay taxes for a public school system.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 PM

50,873 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
In your little "struggle" session you forgot f. do you pay taxes for a public school system.
What struggle? It's simply interesting to know something about people who post here. If you want to start a different thread, no one is stopping you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education