Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 10:03 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I question "saving a ton on transportation." Eliminating bus transportation one day a week is 20% of the regular transportation budget. There are other things that are part of the entire transportation budget. You still have athletic events and other extracurricular trips such as band, chorus, academic competitions, etc. that will still take place on the day off. Will students have to find their own way to school to meet the activity bus? It sounds like you may be looking at maybe saving 10% of the total transportation cost. In PA, much of that is subsidized by the state.
The 16 largest (in area) districts in Kansas are greater than 700 square miles. That’s a lot of real estate that needs to be covered by school busses.

http://www.usa.com/rank/kansas-state...trict-rank.htm

I have no dog in this fight….just had to reply when one poster said they had never heard of 4 day school weeks and I recalled that transportation savings were a big driver (pardon the pun).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 03:20 AM

23 posts, read 5,873 times
If the total amount of direct teaching hours remains the same by extended days and/or cutting school holiday time then I don’t see the issue.

Do kids really need 6 weeks of summer vacation? Growing up my parents only took 2 weeks vacation from work maximum for a family holiday so that’s all I really needed to take. I would have much rather have been able to that those extra four weeks and used them when ever I wanted through out the year. For example to celebrate mine or my friends birthdays which didn’t fall in the traditional school breaks. Or for spontaneous days trips or to take part in an EC obligation that fell during schools hours like volunteering in a local charity or part time paid work.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:47 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
If the total amount of direct teaching hours remains the same by extended days and/or cutting school holiday time then I don’t see the issue.

Do kids really need 6 weeks of summer vacation? Growing up my parents only took 2 weeks vacation from work maximum for a family holiday so that’s all I really needed to take. I would have much rather have been able to that those extra four weeks and used them when ever I wanted through out the year. For example to celebrate mine or my friends birthdays which didn’t fall in the traditional school breaks. Or for spontaneous days trips or to take part in an EC obligation that fell during schools hours like volunteering in a local charity or part time paid work.
Seems to be the world average:

I think the problem could be (at least partially resolved) with inexpensive summer camps for kids that are popular in other countries.
Such could be offered by schools, sport organizations, churches etc.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:49 AM

23 posts, read 5,873 times
My point was why couldn’t school be open year round with multiple options for individual classes spread throughout the year and let the kids and parents pick their own schedule. For example have a 4 week block course of 6th grade level Romeo and Juliet in say January, July and November and let all 11-12 year olds pick when to go.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:10 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

When it comes to hours in the day spent in the classroom, I'm not sure more hours per day would add much learning. Ultimately learning is limited by the status of your butt. You need time for other activity to loosen up and the clear you head so things can get in. At some point your incoming data buffer is full and nothing new gets in until the buffer is cleared out. And that data takes some time to transfer from the buffer into useful working abilities.

Quote:
My point was why couldn’t school be open year round with multiple options for individual classes spread throughout the year and let the kids and parents pick their own schedule. For example have a 4 week block course of 6th grade level Romeo and Juliet in say January, July and November and let all 11-12 year olds pick when to go.
While I'd love to see more flexibility in scheduling with more time off for unstructured learning, I'm not sure the taxpayers could afford the massive increase in personnel and facilities it would take to run such a schedule.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:38 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When it comes to hours in the day spent in the classroom, I'm not sure more hours per day would add much learning. Ultimately learning is limited by the status of your butt. You need time for other activity to loosen up and the clear you head so things can get in. At some point your incoming data buffer is full and nothing new gets in until the buffer is cleared out. And that data takes some time to transfer from the buffer into useful working abilities.

While I'd love to see more flexibility in scheduling with more time off for unstructured learning, I'm not sure the taxpayers could afford the massive increase in personnel and facilities it would take to run such a schedule.
When in doubt.....
When the people in charge want to do something....there will always be a "study" to back them up.

They have a "study" that says longer days promote better attendance, improved math scores because kids have more free days to do homework.

https://direct.mit.edu/edfp/article/...t#.Vd3cGGA7_Js

Old 03-05-2024, 07:45 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What actually happens is that hourly wage workers (custodians, maintenance, bus drivers, cafeteria workers) just get paid less.

Salaried workers like teachers generally don't get pay cuts. But it lets districts with teacher shortages (due to low pay) continue to pay less because a 4-day work week for salaried teachers is more attractive than a 5-day work week for the same pay. So they can cast a wider recruiting net and say "we can't pay as much as that neighboring affluent suburban school that has school 5-days a week, but if you come work for us, every weekend will be a 3-day weekend." And there are lots of teachers who will take that tradeoff. And possibly drive further for the opportunity to have a 4-day work week.

I'm a teacher and I'd be happy with a 4-day work week for the same pay for selfish reasons. But I don't think for an instant it would be better for the kids.
Does the length of the school day stay the same?

Are they reducing the school year by what, 30+ days?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:17 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many parents cannot find child care for one day a week even if they could afford it. As bad as the education is that students get now, why try to cram it into 4 days? American students already have substandard performance on most tests.
Here is another option
https://www.foxnews.com/media/san-fr...-fewer-schools

Old 03-05-2024, 08:26 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Does the length of the school day stay the same?

Are they reducing the school year by what, 30+ days?
No, the schools that have implemented it went to 10 hour days, 4 days a week.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:41 AM

50,760 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Developing a standard master schedule was challenging enough. I see your proposal as being nearly unmanageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education