Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:27 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,772,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I've carried an extra 10 pounds or so I don't want for several decades.

During the pandemic lock-down, Mrs. Moguldreamer & I each lost about 10 lbs which we attribute to healthier eating - we were not going out to restaurants 3 or 4 nights/week anymore, and our social life didn't revolve around "getting together for dinner." We also bicycled much more.

But in the last year or two, we each regained that 10 lbs.

For non-weight health reasons, I started on Ozempic about 2 months ago, and I've lost (without intending to lose) about 8 pounds so far. I just have no desire to eat. Put food in front of me, and I poke at it. My sweet-tooth has vanished. My blood pressure has dropped enough my doctor cut my blood pressure meds in half, and I suspect I'll end up discontinuing it altogether.

A couple times we've met others for a meal, and I have to force myself to eat, usually eating at most a small portion of the food delivered to me. I'm now tracking how many grams of protein I get to make sure I'm getting enough, and it is difficult. I just don't want to eat.

The side effects for me have mostly been moderate - a general feeling of "not being well" that is difficult for me to describe.
That reminds me of how I felt when I had mono in college. That's good you're tracking protein. I would think you'd need to also make sure you're getting enough good fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:55 PM

22,028 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Losing your appetite entirely and not wanting to eat (some even report being repulsed by food) just doesn't sound healthy, even if it IS effective for weight loss. That's traditionally been a sign of illnesss, actually. It's strange to me that so many are jumping on this band wagon without a moment's hesitation.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Losing your appetite entirely and not wanting to eat (some even report being repulsed by food) just doesn't sound healthy, even if it IS effective for weight loss. That's traditionally been a sign of illnesss, actually. It's strange to me that so many are jumping on this band wagon without a moment's hesitation.
It's the trap of some parts of diet culture--the goal isn't entirely to be healthy, it's just to be smaller by any means necessary.

Old Today, 01:12 PM

22,028 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's the trap of some parts of diet culture--the goal isn't entirely to be healthy, it's just to be smaller by any means necessary.
Looking on the bright side: it'll cut down on those high grocery bills!

Old Today, 02:54 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,543,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
One of these statements is not true.
How old are you, and are you female? Older female bodies are genetically designed to try to hold on to weight even with calorie reduction. Scale changes can take more than a few weeks to manifest, and given that the person started exercising more, any small change that would show up in two weeks could easily be offset by water weight, hormonal retention, muscle gain, etc.

OP, you might actually be eating too little. Is this the diet your doctor recommends? If you're noticing changes in clothing and how you feel that is a good indicator that what you are doing is working so just stick with it or fine tune it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss