Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 3,450,203 times

Advertisements

I think some "experts" don't like that there are people out there losing weight without using expensive pharmaceuticals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
"A study says intermittent fasting is making people drop dead. Oh, come on"

Read the whole story here: https://www.statnews.com/2024/03/19/...dy-heart-risk/

Old 03-20-2024, 10:33 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I eat once a day. That's all I want to spend monetarily and in effort on eating. (I don't buy boxed, bagged, or canned.)

We're all going to die one day, so I'll do what makes me happy while I'm here.

Never thought I'd make it to 30, so everything after that are bonus years.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:08 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I don't understand why people keep calling it "intermittent fasting." Seems more like normal eating, to me.

I usually have breakfast between 9 and 10am. I have lunch between noon and 1pm. I eat dinner by 5 or 6pm. I /might/ have a snack between 6 and 10pm (bedtime for me) but usually I don't. That's an 8-hour window of eating, because that's just - normal for me. I'm not dieting. I eat what I want, which - granted - is too much food.
Because it's trendy.

16-8 is particularly popular as you get to be part of the new fad diet trend while eating normally with very few modifications which makes it easy. I eat normally. I'm not a huge breakfast person so I tend to eat later in the day. I might have breakfast at 10-11 or I might not, but 10 o'clock is generally the earliest I'll eat on a normal day and 7-8 is the latest I'll eat on a normal day. What do you have, 8-10 hour eating window. I eat all over in there. I often have morning meetings so I don't eat until 12-1. If I eat at 10, I'll usually eat again earlier around 4 in the afternoon rather than 7-8. If I eat at 12-1, I'll usually eat later around 6-8. On a typical day I'm doing more of a 6-8 hour feeding window that some people call IF.

I call it eating twice a day. Eating twice a day works well for me. I'm a big time glutton so I get to eat two bigs meals which works better for me than eating five small meals and three snacks. Other people do FAKO (fake keto) where they eat <50 grams of carbs a day. It's all substantially the same thing. Restricting calories directly by restricting calories or indirectly by restricting feeding times or food restrictions all just gets at restricting calories. Find what works and do that. Eating twice a day works best for me.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...ttent-fasting/

I'd put my efforts into focusing on eating better and not wasting it on eating when. Find what works best for you in regards to eating when as it doesn't particularly matter and focus on eating better.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-20-2024 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-21-2024, 06:04 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I last ate breakfast in high school but I don't call it "intermittent fasting". I call it "normal".

I don't even want to see food in the morning. Even as a child I had to be forced to eat before school.

I also do not have a hard stop to finish eating for the day. Some days I miss "dinner" and end up eating it quite late. Others not so much.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:08 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people keep calling it "intermittent fasting." Seems more like normal eating, to me.
I always called it “skipping breakfast.”

Old 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
When I first read about IF, practitioners were eating maybe three days a week, fasting the other four. Hard core, definitely not normal.

It seems to have been sissyfied down to fasting for several hours a day, so it's easy for most people.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:32 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I don't trust the American Heart Association further than I can spit.

Beyond that, the study wasn't even a study. Self reporting. Absolutely no data on nutrition in the diets.

What we have here is bias. You study a bunch of people addressing serious health problems by trying intermittent fasting, and then when these people die from the serious health problems they were addressing, you blame the diet.

Talk about pure bull****.

How many fit young people were included in the study? How many of them died?

This study is just yet another garbage in/garbage out.

Then Doctors are baffled why patients are increasingly more and more skeptical of the official recommendations by Big Medicine and Big Pharma.

People were meant to eat sparsely. We were never meant to eat 3 square meals a day. The entire reason for body fat is to hold you over from one hard to get meal to the next, back when we were chasing down Mastadons for dinner and it took REAL WORK to kill, clean, and cook your meal.

Our current problem is that we can now rush off for a cheap McDonalds meal six times a day, not because we went 16 hours without eating.

This "study" is just another data point as to why I don't trust the modern health care industry any further than I can spit. They have lost all credibiity and will never get it back.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:57 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Most all "studies" done on diet and health are barely usable as a basis to launch a legitimate study and absolutely should not be used to determine a cause or used to recommend eating less or more of anything.

They often base these crazy headlines on self reporting studies that never even ask the info necessary to reach the conclusion.

Ironically often the best studies are funded by a company trying to get you to eat their product, you just have to wait for someone to get the actual data from the study to find out some real useful information.

Although there are a few non-profits like Citizen Science Foundation that are crowdfunding to pay for legit studies. Hopefully they are successful and some quality info can emerge from it.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:00 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
It's good business to pump up ALARM!
LET US GET in line for those grants and subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss