Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 01:11 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We've used Splenda for several years. My doctor (GP) and all my wife's doctors say Splenda is fine to use.

After her gastric sleeve surgery, my wife's gastric dietitician said not to use creamers in her coffee, because there's too much sugar in them. Told her to use milk instead.
Splenda is OK for things like coffee, a teaspoon or so at a time. But most of powdered Splenda is the bulking agent Maltodextrose, and it’s a fairly high glycemic carbohydrate. Splenda is sold as a “zero calorie” sweetener because the FDA labeling rules allow them to round-down the carbohydrate count in a single serving to zero. Truth be told, a full cup measure of Splenda has about 30 grams of carbs depending on how it’s packed.

Half and half is even better than milk as a creamer — it has fewer carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 03:17 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Splenda is OK for things like coffee, a teaspoon or so at a time. But most of powdered Splenda is the bulking agent Maltodextrose, and it’s a fairly high glycemic carbohydrate. Splenda is sold as a “zero calorie” sweetener because the FDA labeling rules allow them to round-down the carbohydrate count in a single serving to zero. Truth be told, a full cup measure of Splenda has about 30 grams of carbs depending on how it’s packed.

Half and half is even better than milk as a creamer — it has fewer carbs.
Fun fact how FDA regulates nutrition labels:

Quote:
Class II nutrients are vitamins, minerals, protein, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, other carbohydrate, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, or potassium that occur naturally in a food product. Class II nutrients must be present at 80% or more of the value declared on the label.

The Third Group nutrients include calories, sugars, total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium. However, for products (e.g., fruit drinks, juices, and confectioneries) with a sugars content of 90 percent or more of total carbohydrate, to prevent labeling anomalies due in part to rounding, FDA treats total carbohydrate as a Third Group nutrient instead of a Class II nutrient. For foods with label declarations of Third Group nutrients, the ratio between the amount obtained by laboratory analysis and the amount declared on the product label in the Nutrition Facts panel must be 120% or less, i.e.,
https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-infor...ition-labeling

So basically, your nutrition label can be anywhere from 80%-120% of the actual value. In other words, if the manufacturer states a drink has 200 calories, the actual figure could be anywhere from 160 to 240. Most food manufacturers round down (for obvious reasons).

Of course, does the FDA regularly test these products to ensure compliance? Probably not.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:05 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I’m not 100% convinced that artificial sweeteners are bad for you. However, due to the non-stop negativity surrounding them, I quit using them a couple of years ago.

I only use Monk fruit sweetener nowadays, and I’m pretty satisfied with it. Monk fruit does just as good a job of sweetening stuff as equal or sweet and low, in my opinion.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:51 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
fake sugars, including stevia, harm the gut microbiome bacteria. imo run, dont walk away. this is THE most important part of our immune systems. and not just cold/flu -- immune system for everything -- cancer, diabetes, heart disease, autoimmunes, thyroid, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss