Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:45 AM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I've been taking Berberine and Bitter Melon with R-Lipoic Acid daily as I am pre-diabetic. I had blood work done recently and my A1C has come down a tad. With low carb/higher protein diet I will keep taking it.
My doctor just recommended berberine in addition to the Alpha-Lipoic Acid I'm taking before meals. My a1c has inched up just a tad in spite of being on the ALA (which used to keep it within the normal range), so she recommended adding berberine. So I'm interested in others' experience here with that supplement. Thanks to those who have already posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:18 PM

1,389 posts, read 728,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My doctor just recommended berberine in addition to the Alpha-Lipoic Acid I'm taking before meals. My a1c has inched up just a tad in spite of being on the ALA (which used to keep it within the normal range), so she recommended adding berberine. So I'm interested in others' experience here with that supplement. Thanks to those who have already posted.

Good luck with it. I started taking R-lipoic Acid along with Berberine months ago. I am also taking Bitter Melon. I was religious for months in taking prior to getting blood work done and watching what I ate but still had an occasional treat or some low carb bread. My A1C dropped from 6.6 to 6.4. Not huge but now I am on a no treat (usually a donut) and rarely bread regime and increased my protein. I have more blood work coming up and want my A1C below or at 6 at least. Fingers crossed.

Old Today, 12:25 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Good luck with it. I started taking R-lipoic Acid along with Berberine months ago. I am also taking Bitter Melon. I was religious for months in taking prior to getting blood work done and watching what I ate but still had an occasional treat or some low carb bread. My A1C dropped from 6.6 to 6.4. Not huge but now I am on a no treat (usually a donut) and rarely bread regime and increased my protein. I have more blood work coming up and want my A1C below or at 6 at least. Fingers crossed.
Thanks. Well, mine is still below 6; apparently the top of the normal range is 5.6, and mine's 5.7 now, so not a big deal, but it concerns me, bc the ALA regime brought it down to 5.6 from 5.8 or something when I started a few years ago, and kept it there. And of course I've been low-carb since forever, and go to the gym regularly, and walk. My doc wants me to add the berberine, then re-test in a couple of months.

Old Today, 01:22 PM

1,389 posts, read 728,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. Well, mine is still below 6; apparently the top of the normal range is 5.6, and mine's 5.7 now, so not a big deal, but it concerns me, bc the ALA regime brought it down to 5.6 from 5.8 or something when I started a few years ago, and kept it there. And of course I've been low-carb since forever, and go to the gym regularly, and walk. My doc wants me to add the berberine, then re-test in a couple of months.
It's great your Dr. is talking with you about these supplements. Mine just looks at me like I am speaking another language when I bring this type of thing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes