Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2023, 12:32 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this part of C-D, so I don't know anything about the diabetes forum. I'm posting about my older brother. He's almost 72 and has been diabetic for years. I don't know how closely he controls his glucose. Not well, I'm afraid, as he's pretty stubborn. He has had some ulcers on his toes and recently had a middle toe amputated within the last 3 months. He's currently in the hospital having lost circulation to the same foot. They've re-established circulation, but he's having all the remaining toes on that foot amputated as well as some of the foot just beyond the toes because some of them have turned black and I guess are gangrenous.

So this leads to my question, has anyone here had to deal with partial foot amputation and how well did you manage afterwards? Are there special shoes for those without toes? Does it hamper your walking a lot after your re-hab? Do you use a cane or walker? Is this going to put him in a wheelchair for life? What do you find to be your best form of exercise, maybe a recumbent exercise bike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 04:18 PM

307 posts, read 211,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hi, I'm new to this part of C-D, so I don't know anything about the diabetes forum. I'm posting about my older brother. He's almost 72 and has been diabetic for years. I don't know how closely he controls his glucose. Not well, I'm afraid, as he's pretty stubborn. He has had some ulcers on his toes and recently had a middle toe amputated within the last 3 months. He's currently in the hospital having lost circulation to the same foot. They've re-established circulation, but he's having all the remaining toes on that foot amputated as well as some of the foot just beyond the toes because some of them have turned black and I guess are gangrenous.

So this leads to my question, has anyone here had to deal with partial foot amputation and how well did you manage afterwards? Are there special shoes for those without toes? Does it hamper your walking a lot after your re-hab? Do you use a cane or walker? Is this going to put him in a wheelchair for life? What do you find to be your best form of exercise, maybe a recumbent exercise bike?

I lost my big toe on my right foot last year due to gangrene/lack of circulation/ From the time I first noticed the toe was turning black,and to the time I rushed into emergency;the toe had to go...that was about a week. I also developed osteomyelesis;so they had to cut even further down the foot to prevent the infection from having my entire foot amputated.

I was already walking with a cane before the surgery...and was barely able to walk 1/2 a block before I had to stop due to the overwhelming pain of neuropathy/claudication.

They had to place 2 stents in each of my legs to facilitate circulation ;as the surgery wound would not heal.
I spent 4 1/2 months in 2 hospitals and 2 nursing homes...I was released on November 11th of 2022...and it took until April this year for the wound to totally close;after frequent out-patient debridement.

My quality of life keeps diminishing...even with the 2 stents I still can't walk more than a few steps without stopping;and can't keep my balance when I stand up(have to hold on to the walls or furniture constantly).

I had to stop exercising on a stationary bike because the pain in my knees was is unbearable...I also have a drop foot on the same foot. They had a special brace to use inside my shoe to keep the foot straight...but it caused ulcers on my calf and bleeding...Had to stop that also.

Sorry to sound so negative;but that's what I went through...20 years of treatment for diabetes 2 and other ailments...11 daily medications...I just don't see it getting any better and my mental health is suffering too.

Hope it turns out better for your brother.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:54 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
My brother had part of his foot removed, along with a few toes, about four years ago. He now has to wear a special shoe and brace but is able to walk and function without using a cane or walker. He had to use a walker for several months until he learned how to compensate. I think though, the ability to function after an amputation like this is highly dependent on where the removal occurred, the person’s general health, and the attitude of person. This is one of those rare areas where stubbornness can be a virtue, as long as the person is determined to walk.

They were able to get my brother’s diabetes back under control, which has allowed him to do better with his circulation and diabetic nephropathy. The amputation was a monumental wake-up call for him and several of us siblings believe if he hadn’t had that happen he would be dead now instead.

My heart goes out to you, there is nothing more heartbreaking than watch someone you love engage in what you believe is self-sabotage by ignoring their health. Been there, done that - it sucks.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:18 AM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
Toes are there for balancing when you walk.
Some will try to walk with their heels.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:34 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
This thread is a good wake up call for me.

I finally have been eating to control blood sugar since I am borderline diabetic. A nice side effect is I am losing weight as well.

This thread is a good reminder not to cheat on my no sugar/low carb eating regimen. When I cheat, the floodgates open. My nurse sister said if I really behave, I can back off my insulin resistance and avoid going to Type 2 diabetes.

Thanks for the thread, and Happy New Year!

Maybe this thread will finally get me to stick to riding the stationary bike at least 3 days a week. Wish me luck. Being scared straight works. Hearing about the hardships and suffering of diabetics is a good reminder that motivates me. I am sorry that it has to come at someone else's expense, but wise people learn from others mistakes instead of having to learn from their own.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:38 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
51 year old son, did all that was required for a diabetic; excellent doctor, informed him his calf, below the knee would be removed. Modern technology, his prosthetic is blue with a wolf on it ! He's adapted quite well, just part of his journey. By CD ,

His paternal grandmother, in her 70's, had a leg amputated

Old 01-21-2024, 04:39 AM

691 posts, read 640,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Are there special shoes for those without toes? Does it hamper your walking a lot after your re-hab? Do you use a cane or walker? Is this going to put him in a wheelchair for life? What do you find to be your best form of exercise, maybe a recumbent exercise bike?
Hope the best for your brother.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Hope the best for your brother.
I certainly agree with you there, but have to wonder--

Deadwood commenting on diabetic gangrene and amputations?...Gotta be a joke in there somewhere.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:42 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Well, I haven't posted here for a while. My brother got out of the nursing home rehab place and went home after 2 weeks. Unfortunately, he had to go back to the hospital as he had developed infection in the bones of two of the foot bones and they had to take off more of those 2 bones. So now he has a little less than half a foot left on that side. He didn't have to go to the rehab again, he refused, so they sent him home and he's got a wound care nurse who comes by every other day. He's using a wheelchair for the time being. I don't know if he'll be able to get around with a cane and a prosthetic shoe. It's definitely a wake-up call to any diabetic who doesn't stay on top of their foot care.

Thank you for all your wishes, and the info on how others progressed with similar injuries. Under the circumstances, he's amazingly positive and doesn't get too down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes