Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 02:14 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My friend, I have been a tenacious adherent of following proper diet for over 40 years. I, like my other relatives that have our rendition of MODY, have extremely high glycemic variance. Most of my relatives, including myself, have been hospitalized at some point for critical hypoglycemic incidents. Insulin is a double edged sword for people like me. The GLP-1 agonists have DRASTICALLY improved all our lives, giving most of us control for the first time in our lives and most are now off all insulin for the first time in decades. You have no clue.

I absolutely despise medical people who get on their diet high horses with diabetic patients. They ought to know by now that diabetes is not a monolithic disease and there is a big difference between a typical type II simple carb reactive diabetic and more complex cases.

I have no clue?...I've treatred 100s of diabetics...How many have you treated?

Only pts who require insulin should take insulin...Thee are two types of pts who require insulin-- the Type I and the Type II pt who has been poorly controlled for years and can no longer make enough insulin (earlier in their course, they actually made too much insulin)....

...If you can now be controlled without insulin, then you never did fit into the two categories above and should never have been on insulin in the first place...Giving insuiin to a pt who is not in the insulinopenic state is counter-productive-- Insulin increases fat storage and increased fat storage requires more insulin...That"s why so many pts given insulin inappropriately are constantly increasing doses over time.

I'm not saying the newer drugs should never be used. I'm sayng that they shouldn't be used just because they can be used. Older, simpler methods of BS control worked for 75% of my pts...and virtually all of the other 25% just didn't follow the diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 06:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I have no clue?...I've treatred 100s of diabetics...How many have you treated?

Only pts who require insulin should take insulin...Thee are two types of pts who require insulin-- the Type I and the Type II pt who has been poorly controlled for years and can no longer make enough insulin (earlier in their course, they actually made too much insulin)....

...If you can now be controlled without insulin, then you never did fit into the two categories above and should never have been on insulin in the first place...Giving insuiin to a pt who is not in the insulinopenic state is counter-productive-- Insulin increases fat storage and increased fat storage requires more insulin...That"s why so many pts given insulin inappropriately are constantly increasing doses over time.

I'm not saying the newer drugs should never be used. I'm sayng that they shouldn't be used just because they can be used. Older, simpler methods of BS control worked for 75% of my pts...and virtually all of the other 25% just didn't follow the diet.
Maybe you ought to read up on MODY diabetes, also known as monogenic diabetes. They now understand this is neither Type I nor Type II diabetes, but a different type of diabetes. There are 11 types with identified genetic mutations and a limited number they are still trying to identify the mutated allele. The most common types are MODY2 (Europe) and MODY3 (US). The MODY2s can be controlled by diet and exercise and the MODY3s by sulfonylureas. We are among the unidentified allele, so we are MODYx. None of us have weight issues, matter of fact keeping weight on is sometimes a struggle, and until GLP-1 agonists came out we were all brittle diabetics.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:48 PM

398 posts, read 206,234 times
Ozempic is horse crap.

If the medicine was any good they would not need to bombard us with TV ads.

oh oh ozempic.... its total Moderator cut: language

No way if it was any good for us the doctors would be prescibing it and there would be no need fo that contant bombardment those TV ads.

No way would I ever use "ozempic" no way ever.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-26-2022 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-20-2022, 01:55 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
I used Ozempic for years with positive results.

Unfortunately a change in employment led to a drop in coverage for a brief period. I couldn't afford the Ozempic without insurance.

Oh well, my endo and I are willing to do "work arounds". The biggest goal was to get me off insulin. And we have.

I have my eye on the newest FDA approved drug...but I'm sure it will be $$$$$$$$$

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...ent-first-2014

I'm a firm believer in better living through modern chemistry.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:05 PM

730 posts, read 464,297 times
I too used Ozempic with great results. It lowered my A1C from 7.0 to 6.2 in just three months. My doctors were very pleased with that result. Not to mention the weight I lost with it.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:28 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Taking my last shot of Ozempic today.....

Old 02-25-2023, 05:31 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,048 times
Question to all: how does Ozempic and the other related similar meds affect the human body as far as not causing damage to our body organs including our pancreas, kidneys, cardiac, skin, our eye sight, etc. Will it decrease our life span? What are the side effects that you people who take it experience?

I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who take it/have taken it. It seems like a designer drug and I wonder if people ever think about how it is affecting the body negatively, rather than as just a way to keep weight off, or to lose weight, or do better with their A1C. So many prescription meds have terrible side effects .... however, when searching for these side effects, many of the side effects won't be found on the drug company's website. The majority of Dr's often don't spend much, if any, time preparing patients for the side effects of anything they prescribe.

The best way to search for prescription medication side effects is to search for "patient reviews of ________ " and fill in the name of the medication.

I did find some of these answers in this link...once you do this search, you will need to keep scrolling to read all of the different areas covered. https://www.google.com/search "patient reviews of ozempic". Since I've been on diets most of my life, I didn't think about how diets and medications affect my body (and brain) over the long term. Have never taken any diet drugs at all but later on, my suspicion was that it couldn't be good for the body.

Back in the 60's, my slender, insulin-dependent step father was a Type 1 diabetic. He passed away in 1965 - at the very young age of 44 - from some cardiac problems that my mother claims were due to him "falling off the wagon" so frequently - which can age the body and organs - like when he ate desserts at his mother's house. Back then they still did an autopsy, and mother said they reported he had the body of a 60-something year old. I remember she told me the insulin ages the body, and not sticking with the right low carb foods does, too. We always ate the right foods in our house.

Later: Found in time to edit my post: I just found a YouTube video on Katie Couric's channel titled:
"Katie Couric discusses "celebrity weight loss drug," Ozempic with obesity expert and Dr. Lou Aronne."
There are many other videos relating to Ozempic in the left margin of this video.

Last edited by 'M'; 02-25-2023 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-22-2023, 03:19 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Thanks. I've contacted Ozempic via their web site. I take 0.25 mg injections, and per the printed info, that is enough for 8 doses. So why only 6 needles?

Check your directions.

The standard dosage is .25 once a week for 4 weeks then .5 after that

Old 04-03-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I just started with a new Primary Care doc, and he was okay with dropping the Ozempic. For now, I'm testing twice a day and recording my BG for him. Did the normal blood/urine lab tests and A1C was 6.6.

Yes my lady friend and I both struggle with our diets. It's tough to undo 70+ years of bad habits. Old dog, new tricks. But we are both getting better.

The problem with dropping Ozempic is that the weight comes back quickly

As for the A1C, I'm not sure how rapidly it starts to climb

Old 04-03-2023, 01:31 PM

[quote='M';64927874]

The best way to search for prescription medication side effects is to search for "patient reviews of ________ " and fill in the name of the medication. [quote]

Absolutely not!

Go to a legitimate medical source like drugs.com, medscape or Epocrates and search

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes