Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2022, 11:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times

Advertisements

Unsure if this is the proper part of the forum to post this, but, is anyone familiar with driving the different routes from here to FL?

Ultimately, I'll be headed to St. Pete's, but, I'm stopping overnight in Lynn Haven first, near Panama City & have 3 routes available to me to LH... 65, 55, 22.

With 2 freshly broken fingers, I'm looking for the fastest trip. Fortunately, I'm on my way before snow & winter weather, but I just want to spend the least amount of time on the road. Has anyone made this trip by any route?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 12:30 PM

Default Mods... move post request...

If any mod reads this, can you move this to a more appropriate forum? Maybe Travel or Automotive? Wasn't sure where to post it, but upon 2nd thought, the farily inactive IA forum might not be the best place for it. I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:21 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,601,687 times
I take I-80 east, I-74 east, I-57 south, I-24 east, then I-75 south into FL. If you want to bypass Atlanta, take I-285 from I-75 on the north side and reconnect to I-75 on the south side. That’s proven to be the fastest route for me.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:54 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Unsure if this is the proper part of the forum to post this, but, is anyone familiar with driving the different routes from here to FL?

Ultimately, I'll be headed to St. Pete's, but, I'm stopping overnight in Lynn Haven first, near Panama City & have 3 routes available to me to LH... 65, 55, 22.

With 2 freshly broken fingers, I'm looking for the fastest trip. Fortunately, I'm on my way before snow & winter weather, but I just want to spend the least amount of time on the road. Has anyone made this trip by any route?

Thank you.

Ok, I just did this same thing from IL to Sarasota. We always take 57 to 24 to 75 straight to Sarasota BUT that does not work if you are going through the panhandle (unless you want to backtrack about 2 -3 hours on I 10). A couple weeks ago we had to stop in Panama City on our way to Sarasota and I am telling you it sucks. We took 65 from Nashville to Montgomery and then AL331 to FL20 to FL79 to go into PC. It felt like it took FOREVER! It was 10 hours from Nashville to PC because of the traffic and accidents and construction.

When we headed to Sarasota from PC we just got on 10 to 75 south. It is a LOT longer than you think it is....that little part took us almost 7 hours.

For you coming from Iowa (my sister comes to FL from Iowa City), I would get on 55 south from St. Louis and either take it all the way to 10 and then across to Lynn Haven OR 55 to 22 to 65 south and then do what we did with AL331. I feel like the first option may be faster as it is all interstate, but who knows with construction and traffic. The absolute worst part of our drive was the 65 part of Alabama. AL 331 was pretty good most of the way but is only two lane in some parts.

Unfortunately there is no great efficient way to get to those 30A towns of the panhandle. If it were me, 55 to 10 all the way. Good luck with your travels!

Old 12-11-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Unfortunately there is no great efficient way to get to those 30A towns of the panhandle. If it were me, 55 to 10 all the way. Good luck with your travels!
Thanks for your reply. I'm not onsite much anymore, hence my delay in replying.

I've been in FL for a month now & had to move at such breakneck speed, I forget which roads I took (I think it was 55, as you suggested, to 10), but some roads I was rerouted/detoured around were a bit off the beaten path. It was a longer, but lovely ride through farm country on smaller roads, for the most part. In any event, I made it.

I may be returning to IA in 1-2 mos, so we'll see. Made it out days before snow & hopefully will return with no major storm brewing while on the road.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-11-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
I take I-80 east, I-74 east, I-57 south, I-24 east, then I-75 south into FL. If you want to bypass Atlanta, take I-285 from I-75 on the north side and reconnect to I-75 on the south side. That’s proven to be the fastest route for me.
Sorry, I didn't see your reply. I was on the road before Nov 1... my post was a last minute request.

TY for your reply. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-13-2022, 07:28 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
It's a good thing that you're not going this week.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a good thing that you're not going this week.
Yes. I left a day or so before a storm, as well. Although, I've driven in my fair share of blizzards, nor'easters, hurricanes & hightailing it out of areas that were flooding, having tornadoes, wildfires... I've even narrowly missed being burried under a mudslide.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:05 PM

Default Coming back to IA from FL on Jan 9. Snowy, icy roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Ok, I just did this same thing from IL to Sarasota. We always take 57 to 24 to 75 straight to Sarasota BUT that does not work if you are going through the panhandle (unless you want to backtrack about 2 -3 hours on I 10). A couple weeks ago we had to stop in Panama City on our way to Sarasota and I am telling you it sucks. We took 65 from Nashville to Montgomery and then AL331 to FL20 to FL79 to go into PC. It felt like it took FOREVER! It was 10 hours from Nashville to PC because of the traffic and accidents and construction.

When we headed to Sarasota from PC we just got on 10 to 75 south. It is a LOT longer than you think it is....that little part took us almost 7 hours.

For you coming from Iowa (my sister comes to FL from Iowa City), I would get on 55 south from St. Louis and either take it all the way to 10 and then across to Lynn Haven OR 55 to 22 to 65 south and then do what we did with AL331. I feel like the first option may be faster as it is all interstate, but who knows with construction and traffic. The absolute worst part of our drive was the 65 part of Alabama. AL 331 was pretty good most of the way but is only two lane in some parts.

Whakru... if you're still around, I'm making my way back from FL to Des Moines next wk & was looking for road conditions advice. I'm in St. Pete & leaving tomorrow, but will be stopping in Lynn Haven, FL again to see family over the weekend. So, come Mon-Tues morning, I'll be making my way from Lynn Haven to Waukee/Johnston, IA.

Like you, I'll avoid going through Nashville this time... I had the same experience last trip with traffic, detours, accidents, construction. It was a long day with little dent to the trip mileage. So, Hwy 65 is off the table.

With the recent storms, including in NoTX, AR & parts of the south, I wasn't sure if icy roads were still an issue or if there were upcoming storms next wk? I do know I can watch weather, but sometimes weather patterns change quickly, so I like to ask the locals. I'm not afraid of winter driving, having lived in New England most of my life... I just want to get there as soon as possible since I'll be staying in hotels along the way & for a few days once I arrive to apt hunt. $$$ are flying out of my eyes & I haven't left yet.

55 goes through St Louis & 22/35, Memphis & Kansas City, but was there more snow/ice in the last storm along either one of those routes or is one road traditionally worse than the other in winter?

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer. If no one has any response, I guess I'll flip a coin. My GPS routes me around traffic, but unfortunately not weather. I'll need a new one this year & I've seen some that offer weather reports... that will come in handy in IA.

Thank you, kindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines