Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

I see Charlie Ergen is set to re-assume the CEO's chair after Joe Clayton retires. Won't take long for DISH to reclaim the mantle of "Worst Company to Work For in the US."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I see Charlie Ergen is set to re-assume the CEO's chair after Joe Clayton retires. Won't take long for DISH to reclaim the mantle of "Worst Company to Work For in the US."
Business as usual there.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
DISH HR contacted me in early 2010 and said they'd found my resume and wanted to interview me. I had been unemployed for 9 months, but my response was, "Uh... no thanks. I've heard the horror stories!". Pretty bad when people turn you down in the middle of a horrible recession lol! How do they find people to work there anymore?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM

229 posts, read 423,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
DISH HR contacted me in early 2010 and said they'd found my resume and wanted to interview me. I had been unemployed for 9 months, but my response was, "Uh... no thanks. I've heard the horror stories!". Pretty bad when people turn you down in the middle of a horrible recession lol! How do they find people to work there anymore?
So true....same thing happened to me. They've actually called me repeatedly to which I've always said, "Are you aware of your reputation here in CO as an employer?" To which they always say, yes we are...and that's why we're looking for people like you to help change that culture for us. Yea, right! I've had four friends work there in different departments and at different times and not a single one of them lasted more than a year.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Just curious because I'm a relative newcomer to CO, but why exactly is their reputation as an employer so bad?

Obviously it is if they are tracking down resumes and cold calling to get people to interview with them.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:56 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Just curious because I'm a relative newcomer to CO, but why exactly is their reputation as an employer so bad?

Obviously it is if they are tracking down resumes and cold calling to get people to interview with them.
Well, it all starts with Charlie Ergen, billionaire tyrant. Back in the day Charlie's underlings did "badge reports" and if you were as little as a minute late to work you'd get crawled across the carpet by your manager. Charlie himself was known to watch people coming to work and he'd personally berate those who were late.

During a "state of the company" teleconference Charlie once told the entire company "this is how we do it, and if you don't like it get the f*&k out."

Charlie's a piece of work. A multitude of 4-letter words would aptly describe how much of a horse's rear-end he is.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles...any-in-america

Old 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Well, it all starts with Charlie Ergen, billionaire tyrant. Back in the day Charlie's underlings did "badge reports" and if you were as little as a minute late to work you'd get crawled across the carpet by your manager. Charlie himself was known to watch people coming to work and he'd personally berate those who were late.

During a "state of the company" teleconference Charlie once told the entire company "this is how we do it, and if you don't like it get the f*&k out."

Charlie's a piece of work. A multitude of 4-letter words would aptly describe how much of a horse's rear-end he is.

Dish Network, the Meanest Company in America - Businessweek
You nailed it. I still have friends that work there but they are not as visible in the company as some people. Charlie was known to sit at the front desk waiting for people to come in late. I am pretty sure DISH pays well and their campus in Meridian is pretty nice from what I can see from the outside but I hear that is all that is good about it. I work in the same industry as DISH and we have a lot of refugees from there at my current company.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You nailed it. I still have friends that work there but they are not as visible in the company as some people. Charlie was known to sit at the front desk waiting for people to come in late. I am pretty sure DISH pays well and their campus in Meridian is pretty nice from what I can see from the outside but I hear that is all that is good about it. I work in the same industry as DISH and we have a lot of refugees from there at my current company.
I've heard that even if you're able to make it to work on time every single day and do a perfect job, after so many years, you're targeted for firing. The ride you until they find a few extremely nit-picky reasons to fire you and then you don't even get unemployment. And the reason they actually fire you is to get rid of people who've had raises and are earning more. So even if you're a great worker with great skills, it can ruin your career. Although I would imagine within Denver that most HR knows that being fired from DISH is normal lol!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've heard that even if you're able to make it to work on time every single day and do a perfect job, after so many years, you're targeted for firing. The ride you until they find a few extremely nit-picky reasons to fire you and then you don't even get unemployment. And the reason they actually fire you is to get rid of people who've had raises and are earning more. So even if you're a great worker with great skills, it can ruin your career. Although I would imagine within Denver that most HR knows that being fired from DISH is normal lol!
It probably is actually an honor. If you can survive there, you can survive anywhere.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:52 PM

371 posts, read 493,850 times
I worked at an insurance company call center with a lot of former DISH people. They all had stories of people urinating, defecating, and vomiting into their trash cans because if you got up from your desk to use the restroom and it wasn't your assigned break, you were fired.

The insurance company was a piece of work itself (explaining the reliability points system would take hours), but it wasn't ever THAT bad.

Oh, and gotta' love that health insurance plan that's the worst of any Fortune 500 company!

I refuse to EVER get service through them because they treat their employees so poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver