Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 05:27 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

I don’t think this forum has had a moderator for years. Might need to message the site admins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 07:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I'll do that! Thank you!

Old 02-13-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've pedaled along the Little Miami River bike trail that heads north from Xenia to Yellow Springs and then another 30 or so miles north. The bike trail is about 4 blocks west of that home. I sometimes stop at the Casey's gas station to buy a snack when out on a ride. The house is too big for my preference, but it looks overall good. The only thing I would change is replace the carpet in one bedroom with some sort of smooth surface floor.

That's a good location to live in. It is far enough from highway 68 that you probably won't hear any vehicle noise. The street is only 1 block long, so only the few people living on that street will drive by the house. It is close to a hospital and medical offices, and not too far to drive to Kroger / Walmart / Aldi / Lowe's on the west side of Xenia off of highway 35.

Good luck with the move - Spring is on the way pretty soon which is a good time of year to get settled in.
Oh, I can think of all sorts of things I want to eventually change but the house is thankfully move in ready so I love it! And I am continuing to downsize. It says 1700 square feet but I think personally that it's closer to 1800 or maybe even 1900, who knows? I am currently in a 2200+ square foot house so this is a downsize for me but I do know it's still pretty big.

And I "downsized" to 2200 square feet! Goodness. I can't believe all the stuff I have.

Thank you, by the way. The neighborhood seems super quiet and neat and clean, which is nice. I do know that hardly anything ever even goes on the market in that particular neighborhood. I will probably put up a privacy fence eventually anyway. And you are so right about the Kroger and all that! Plus they just built a huge and very nice YMCA near the Kroger. I mean, VERY nice. I will probably join it. And also, there's a St Brigid's Catholic Church and school nearby that looks nice - literally five minutes from 970 Jane Avenue. I am sort of a professional volunteer! I am on a board and do the whole soup kitchen thing, and also a book club and I teach some classes at Christian Women's Job Corps so I hope I can replicate all that eventually. I stay pretty dang busy to be retired!

Plus the bike and walking trails and dog parks and all sorts of things in that area. And Xenia is about 25,000 people and less than a half hour from Dayton and only an hour from Cincinnati. And 30 minutes from my daughter! Close enough but not too close!

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers, since the inspections are this week. Above ground pool, radon, termite and general inspection.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-13-2024 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 04:16 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
The radon thing was a nasty surprise when we sold our house in Ohio. I had not even heard of it, but we had to put in a remediation system.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:39 AM

Inspection is today and wow, I sure hope they don't find unacceptable levels of radon.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:43 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Worth noting as well if seeking a home on a slab foundation that the SE Dayton suburbs are part of a very active tornado alley.
When I saw the OP's thread title saying "Tell me about Xenia," that's exactly what I thought of. You know how, when you're a kid, you hear something and for some reason it sticks with you? When I was a kid, I remember hearing about a tornado that struck Xenia, and I've never forgotten it. Forever after, that's what I think of when I hear that name.

I've never been to Xenia. A couple of years back, I got close when I visited the Air Force Museum in Dayton. (Great experience, by the way.) I remember seeing a sign for Xenia off the highway, and yep, the image of a tornado flooded into my mind. I just can't shake it. OP, I hope that Xenia has seen the last of its tornadoes and that you greatly enjoy your new home.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:44 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Inspection is today and wow, I sure hope they don't find unacceptable levels of radon.
I always thought that radon was more of an issue with basements. Since your house sits on a slab, hopefully it won't be an issue.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:30 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I always thought that radon was more of an issue with basements. Since your house sits on a slab, hopefully it won't be an issue.
I’m not sure. I know it comes up from the ground, but if it comes in through the floor of a basement, why wouldn’t it come through a slab?

Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I think it sits on a crawl space so it's pier and beam I guess.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
When I saw the OP's thread title saying "Tell me about Xenia," that's exactly what I thought of. You know how, when you're a kid, you hear something and for some reason it sticks with you? When I was a kid, I remember hearing about a tornado that struck Xenia, and I've never forgotten it. Forever after, that's what I think of when I hear that name.

I've never been to Xenia. A couple of years back, I got close when I visited the Air Force Museum in Dayton. (Great experience, by the way.) I remember seeing a sign for Xenia off the highway, and yep, the image of a tornado flooded into my mind. I just can't shake it. OP, I hope that Xenia has seen the last of its tornadoes and that you greatly enjoy your new home.
I understand the fear of a tornado, believe me, however I have lived in Tornado Alley and had tornadoes hit my own town and I still didn't experience any significant damage, so I'm just not all that fearful. It happened a long, long time ago (1974 I believe) and it hasn't happened since, though a tornado did hit Dayton a few years back.

I mean, I guess that's why we carry insurance. Anything can happen, but nothing usually does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton