Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
30 years ago. Barely 10 years ago. They didn't know that statins could lead to a diagnosis of diabetes. They didn't know that much of heart disease risk is hereditary due to inherited gene for high levels of lipoprotein (a).
There is a lot they still don't know and info continues to change and treatments evolve and so many side effects are being reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
30 years ago. Barely 10 years ago. They didn't know that statins could lead to a diagnosis of diabetes. They didn't know that much of heart disease risk is hereditary due to inherited gene for high levels of lipoprotein (a).
Lipoprotein a research has been going on about 40 years.

Much of coronary heart disease risk is hereditary, but not just due to high levels of lipoprotein a.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The link is about the statin scam and cholesterol con. the ad to the right is about the mushroom for cancer therapy you mention, suzy.

Anyone who promotes mushrooms for curing cancer should be considered suspect for his opinion on any medical topic.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Anyone who promotes mushrooms for curing cancer should be considered suspect for his opinion on any medical topic.
There is a lot of "made up" info on the miracles of mushrooms...I keep my mind open to all possibilities of cures.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM

I was just reading some of this blog, there is a lot here and it's basically why so much dementia/alz today.

Several reasons keep coming up, need for good fats, coconut oil and statins sucking the fats out of the brain. One person mentioned in the days of her parents and I remember this too, some ended up with hardening of the arteries, and again missing good fats.

Read at least the first page if you wish.

https://www.agingcare.com/questions/...=recent&page=1

Just talked to a friend today and she told me 3 people in her life are in the early stages of dementia...2 at least are taking statins...then my friend said she is taking them on her MD's insistence but only takes them 3 days a week.....I have a concern for my friend if only taking 3 days weekly. We've been friends for 40+ yrs and she's done so well for herself....but now this issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-20-2019 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Like all drugs, there are pros and cons. I think we all know people who have been on statin drugs for years and have no signs of ill effects, but this isn't always the case. My dad never took them lived to be in his 90s and certainly did not die of heart issues at all, but he was developing some mind issues: the same story for my mom in law. Most of us will show signs of mental slow down sooner or later regardless whether we do or do not take certain drugs.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Like all drugs, there are pros and cons. I think we all know people who have been on statin drugs for years and have no signs of ill effects, but this isn't always the case. My dad never took them lived to be in his 90s and certainly did not die of heart issues at all, but he was developing some mind issues: the same story for my mom in law. Most of us will show signs of mental slow down sooner or later regardless whether we do or do not take certain drugs.
Makes me wonder when I read some of the terribly sad stories in the Caregivers section on the people taking care of their alz relatives, how many were on the chol lowering drugs...

True, we can take a drug for one issue and end up with maybe even a worse one than we started out with.,...all this information can't hurt and get one looking at other ways to better health. One can do a search on: alternatives to cholesterol lowering drugs..... Bet there's a lot of info.

But then again, this was never mentioned 30+ yrs ago.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Another bit of info:

https://healthimpactnews.com/2012/th...se-alzheimers/

Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Stephanie Seneff has not got a clue about cholesterol.

She bases her opinion on "extensive on-line research".

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270710.php

"'Our study shows that both higher levels of HDL - good - and lower levels of LDL - bad - cholesterol in the bloodstream are associated with lower levels of amyloid plaque deposits in the brain.'

He explains that while we already have long-standing evidence of raised cholesterol linked to a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's, their study is the first to link it to amyloid plaques in the brains of living people.

'Unhealthy patterns of cholesterol could be directly causing the higher levels of amyloid known to contribute to Alzheimer's, in the same way that such patterns promote heart disease.'"

Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Stephanie Seneff has not got a clue about cholesterol.

She bases her opinion on "extensive on-line research".

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270710.php

"'Our study shows that both higher levels of HDL - good - and lower levels of LDL - bad - cholesterol in the bloodstream are associated with lower levels of amyloid plaque deposits in the brain.'

He explains that while we already have long-standing evidence of raised cholesterol linked to a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's, their study is the first to link it to amyloid plaques in the brains of living people.

'Unhealthy patterns of cholesterol could be directly causing the higher levels of amyloid known to contribute to Alzheimer's, in the same way that such patterns promote heart disease.'"
Amen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals