Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 22,188 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_R...eauty_shooting

https://corrections.az.gov/news/inma...n-robert-smith

Robert Benjamin Smith, mass murdered who killed 5 random girls and women at a Mesa, AZ beauty school at age 18, died at age 76 after nearly 6 decades. Initially sentenced to death, his sentence was converted to life.

Apparently, from someone I know who worked in an AZ prison, he was a good cook and was well respected for that reason by inmates and staff, and apparently had some sort of religious "conversion" in there. But it is abysmal a man got to live 6 decades on our dime after committing such as an atrocious crime. Your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 11:47 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,526,331 times
OK by me. I've seen too many stories of innocent men finally being freed after years on death row. 60 years in prison is no life, he made the best of it but it was clearly punishment, punishment he deserved.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OK by me. I've seen too many stories of innocent men finally being freed after years on death row. 60 years in prison is no life, he made the best of it but it was clearly punishment, punishment he deserved.
Do you think that the judge/court/inmates were a bit more sympathetic because he was 18 at the time of his killings, used the mentally ill card (not saying he isn't, but he most likely knew what he did was wrong)? I doubt a 30-year-old who would kill a toddler and four others would have been treated with kid gloves as much and had his death sentence reappealed.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:51 AM

17,712 posts, read 15,457,909 times
No point dwelling on it.

All death sentences were overturned in the 70's and some were resentenced to death, others to life.

He was resentenced to life. Unless you live in AZ, it wasn't your dime.

A court returned the sentence of life after the sentence of death was ruled unconstitutional, and that's what he did.

And now he's dead.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No point dwelling on it.

All death sentences were overturned in the 70's and some were resentenced to death, others to life.

He was resentenced to life. Unless you live in AZ, it wasn't your dime.

A court returned the sentence of life after the sentence of death was ruled unconstitutional, and that's what he did.

And now he's dead.

AZ people's dime then.... by-and-large law-abiding, society-contributing people's dimes, Arizonans or not, essentially.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:17 PM

36,806 posts, read 31,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
AZ people's dime then.... by-and-large law-abiding, society-contributing people's dimes, Arizonans or not, essentially.
It would be up to the citizens to speak out on whether or not they want the death penalty in their state. I take it that in 1970 the SCOTUS stopped executions but later reinstated them and states determined if they would carry out the death penalty.

While I personally dont like the idea of execution I dont see why the states must care for these individuals convicted of murder for decades.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:34 PM

17,712 posts, read 15,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It would be up to the citizens to speak out on whether or not they want the death penalty in their state. I take it that in 1970 the SCOTUS stopped executions but later reinstated them and states determined if they would carry out the death penalty.

While I personally dont like the idea of execution I dont see why the states must care for these individuals convicted of murder for decades.

i don't think it was 70.. But it was in the 70's.

Ok. So, Furman vs Georgia was in 1972. That's where the death penalty, as it was, was ruled unconstitutional.

There were no executions in the US between 1967 and 1977, with the death penalty being 're-enabled' in 1976.

And, of course, currently. Many executions are on hold due to the states/feds being unable to obtain supplies of the drugs used in lethal injections. Which.. Led Alabama to attempt the Nitrogen execution method, which.. Seems to have gone rather poorly. Some states dusting off the electric chair or firing squads.

If the death penalty is to be used. This certainly would have been a good case for it. I mean, they caught him with the gun in hand, he admitted to it. Not much chance of him actually being innocent.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:28 AM

5,484 posts, read 6,132,698 times
The individual Arizona prison facility where this prisoner was housed received over 15 million Federal dollars (everyone's taxes) in 2023.

https://corrections.az.gov/sites/def...%20Request.pdf

Old 05-10-2024, 05:40 AM

17,548 posts, read 22,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_R...eauty_shooting

https://corrections.az.gov/news/inma...n-robert-smith

Robert Benjamin Smith, mass murdered who killed 5 random girls and women at a Mesa, AZ beauty school at age 18, died at age 76 after nearly 6 decades. Initially sentenced to death, his sentence was converted to life.

Apparently, from someone I know who worked in an AZ prison, he was a good cook and was well respected for that reason by inmates and staff, and apparently had some sort of religious "conversion" in there. But it is abysmal a man got to live 6 decades on our dime after committing such as an atrocious crime. Your opinions?
Never heard of the guy but his initial intent was infamy.......that being the case I'd delete the thread!

Old 05-10-2024, 06:23 AM

36,806 posts, read 31,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
i don't think it was 70.. But it was in the 70's.

Ok. So, Furman vs Georgia was in 1972. That's where the death penalty, as it was, was ruled unconstitutional.

There were no executions in the US between 1967 and 1977, with the death penalty being 're-enabled' in 1976.

And, of course, currently. Many executions are on hold due to the states/feds being unable to obtain supplies of the drugs used in lethal injections. Which.. Led Alabama to attempt the Nitrogen execution method, which.. Seems to have gone rather poorly. Some states dusting off the electric chair or firing squads.

If the death penalty is to be used. This certainly would have been a good case for it. I mean, they caught him with the gun in hand, he admitted to it. Not much chance of him actually being innocent.
Oh I agree. There was no doubt he was guilty and what he did was horriffic. Didn't he not initially get the death penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events