Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 09:37 AM

26,792 posts, read 26,914,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've driven all over Mexico by car, made 80 trips to Tijuana while living in Las Vegas, spend whole weekends there, walked around the city alone until 4-5am and never an incident, felt completely safe walking alone at 4-5am.
Did you travel to La Bocana, around 40 miles south of Ensenada?

https://www.surfer.com/trending-news...rs-baja-mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 11:08 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
^
I have no idea why posted that upload. If you were trying to scare me, who has taken chicken bus rides through Central America in the 2000's, you'll have to try harder. I'm a fearless traveler.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 825,490 times
Quote:
^
I have no idea why posted that upload. If you were trying to scare me, who has taken chicken bus rides through Central America in the 2000's, you'll have to try harder. I'm a fearless traveler.
Nah, it's different now. I lived most of my life in SoCal so Mexico was a regular destination. My friends & I used to sleep out on the open beach in Rosarito, Ensenada & San Felipe. Spouse & I traveled all over Guanajuato, now I read it's #2 state for murders behind Baja. When we lived in San Diego, all our visitors wanted to go to Tijuana & Tecate, & we flew out of TJ airport. We had a little kid & traveled all over Yucatan in a VW. And more. We had a few sketchy things happen even back then. Those are all good memories but the world has changed & I wouldn't do any of that now.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:13 PM

26,792 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Quote:
I'm a fearless traveler.
"Upload"? You claimed to have travelled fearlessly through Mexico. I asked if you'd been to La Bocana, close to where the bodies of these young men were found.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:32 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Some people say that all lives are valuable. I wonder if they think this statement also applies to the killers of these men?
Not me. I think murderers should be executed. Get them off the earth.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 789,841 times
The Mexican government won’t give a hoot. Remember the policy is “hugs not bullets” for killers and drug dealers. The US government won’t touch it either so… thoughts and prayers are all the victims have coming along with eternal oblivion.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

6,505 posts, read 3,188,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Some people say that all lives are valuable. I wonder if they think this statement also applies to the killers of these men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I have children in this age bracket so this hits close to home.

When I see a tragic story such as this, I often make the comment that some people don't seem to realize that our world has changed. Drastically. It's a rotten shame, but we are in a time in history when an abundance of caution should be used. Many places that were relatively safe to travel in even just 10 or 15 years ago or so, no longer are worth taking a chance on. It shouldn't be that way, but it just is.

Heartbreaking story.
I agree, and it is indeed, a very sad story.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Quote:
There was a poll taken, the question was: Who are the most Adventuresome tourists in the world. Australians came out #1 and the British were, I believe, #2.

Americans, at the bottom of the list.

I've driven all over Mexico by car, made 80 trips to Tijuana while living in Las Vegas, spend whole weekends there, walked around the city alone until 4-5am and never an incident, felt completely safe walking alone at 4-5am.

I believe drugs were involved with this incident.
You got lucky.
Back in the day, you used to just get pulled over by the corrupt police and had to pay them to pass. It's a different story nowadays.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Sometimes, I wonder about Australians. Many don’t seem to understand the dangers that await travelers in this part of the world, the US and Mexico, etc.

A few years back, I was working in a very small post office in the middle of the desert, west of Phoenix, remote location.

One day out of the blue, a very attractive young woman, around 20, walks in to the post office, no car, which was incredibly bizarre. Other than a gas station/ restaurant, there isn’t much there.

Anyway, I got to talking to her and it turns out she is from Australia, and she was doing a year visiting the US. She landed in Oakland, CA and the plan was to hitch hike, walk, get rides until she made it to NYC many months later. That way, she could see the entire US and experience it all.

Which is good in theory, I guess, but my first thought was: Are you insane?

I think about this woman often, because I think it is incredibly dangerous for a young woman to be traveling by foot alone in the US. She however, didn’t seem to have a care in the world, just assumed that everything is safe like back in Australia?

I sure hope she made it home safely, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t make it.
The Australians were visiting the Californian, who frequented that area in Mexico, to surf.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

30,541 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Story just breaks your heart.

Three young men (two of them brothers) with everything to live for killed were killed in Mexico recently. Apparently things went down due to Mexican thieves wanting tires from the truck surfers were driving.

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-mi...989476435c3102

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd13vgg720jo

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...d-19440265.php
Really horrible and people ask why Americans think crime is bad in Mexico? I was considering a trip to Ensenada, scratch that now. I almost had my wife talked into a Baja trip, then this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events