Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 11:23 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

https://www.tmz.com/2023/09/05/massa...hip-challenge/

Bit of a reach here. Besides all the warnings on the box.. I actually can't really think of anything that would lead to death in the manner described.

I've done this before.. I won't do it again.. And the reason being the capsacian cramps, which the story describes the teen as complaining about. Those things are just debilitating. The heat isn't the worst part. It's those abdominal cramps that happen about 2-3 hours later as your stomach passes it off to your intestines.

Short of an allergic reaction, which would likely have happened with ingestion, or a heart attack or similar from the pain, which.. Again, I would think would happen with ingestion vs many hours later.. I don't see that his collapse and eating the chip would be related.

While eating this chip may make you wish you were dead.. I doubt it could actually kill you outside of the above instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:47 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Is there an actual legitimate reason to eat one of these chips, other than macho bragging rights?

Old 09-05-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Is there an actual legitimate reason to eat one of these chips, other than macho bragging rights?

Probably the same as why people eat Surstromming or Kangaroo or Century Eggs..

The middle one there.. I can tell you is actually quite good.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times
Sorry for her loss, but it is highly improbable that the spicy chip killed him.

Unless he was allergic to something in the chip, I can't see it as the major factor in his death.

As for any legitimate reason to eat this chip... not really, it's a purely macho thing. I'm a chili head and absolutely love really spicy foods... but once you get above 1,000,000 Scoville, there is no taste - just pure intense pain of burning.

I'm guessing they will have an autopsy? Anyways it's a TMZ article, so won't really put much merit in the click bait :P

Old 09-05-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Sorry for her loss, but it is highly improbable that the spicy chip killed him.

Unless he was allergic to something in the chip, I can't see it as the major factor in his death.

As for any legitimate reason to eat this chip... not really, it's a purely macho thing. I'm a chili head and absolutely love really spicy foods... but once you get above 1,000,000 Scoville, there is no taste - just pure intense pain of burning.

I'm guessing they will have an autopsy? Anyways it's a TMZ article, so won't really put much merit in the click bait :P

Well, here you go, then. https://www.foxnews.com/us/teen-dies...st-rising-star

Or do you prefer more local coverage? https://www.boston.com/news/food-new...h-paqui-chips/

I don't necessarily agree so far as taste.. That's, to me, the challenge for a chef is to make something taste good with that level of heat. That requires talent.

There's a place around here that does a Reaper smoked wing.. It's hot.. but it really tastes good. Compare that to something like Quaker Steak and Lube who have a gimmick of bringing their hottest wings out in a firemans mask with a siren going off.. And those things taste like what I imagine a combination of kerosene and ass would taste like.

But. I do agree that I doubt eating the chip played a part in his death. If it was an allergic reaction, it would have hit sooner..

FWIW.. The one chip challenge.. That chip is nasty. But.. Paqui does make some very tasty lower heat chips. https://paqui.com/#products

The Chili Limon and the Haunted Ghost Pepper are.. Quite good.

And.. For the people who want to know what it is like.. Yeah.. This video is pretty dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrMmCbn_yg

The only thing that isn't mentioned there.. My problem with it 'coming back out' wasn't with pooping.. It was peeing. Apparently some of that stuff made it through the 'ol kidneys and.. This gave new meaning to peeing fire.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
The article doesn't offer enough information but if the kid came home from school after having had a stomach ache that was bad enough to need to see the school nurse, instead of letting him go out again his mother should have taken her son to see their doctor or to ER to find out what the problem was. She didn't fulfill here own parental responsibilities any more so than the school fulfilled their responsibility about the kid's well-being. So both the school and the mother are equally remiss in their carelessness.

The article says that his official cause of death is still pending, and that Harris was attempting the "One Chip Challenge". Other than wanting to see what the official cause of death is, I'd just mark it up to some kid being stupid enough to qualify for a Darwin Award if he willingly ate the chip that was being warned about.

I think Paqui's challenge is really stupid for daring consumers to purchase and risk having a potentially life threatening allergic reaction to something that can kill some people. Perhaps their product should be taken off the market for challenging and being so appealing to stupid people with death wishes.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:39 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
I tried the chip with my kids last year just for fun. There was no real reason behind it other than just that: silly fun.
It was hot, as expected. Didn’t taste particularly good. The heat went away soon enough, just like any other extremely spicy food. I’d say perhaps even quicker than stuff like nuclear or whatever wings you can get at Buffalo Wild Wings or Winghouse, since this is just a powder-coated chip, vs thick sauce that coats your lips, mouth, throat, etc.

No way did this chip kill him. That makes no sense. One can chow down on a whole Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper and nothing other than discomfort will happen.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I think Paqui's challenge is really stupid for daring consumers to purchase and risk having a potentially life threatening allergic reaction to something that can kill some people. Perhaps their product should be taken off the market for challenging and being so appealing to stupid people with death wishes.

Why? It’s literally just a spicy chip. Why should it be removed from the market? Should all spicy foods be taken down from the shelves? I’ve had chicken wings and ramen soup just as hot as this thing (albeit much tastier.) This isn’t Paqui’s fault.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The article doesn't offer enough information but if the kid came home from school after having had a stomach ache that was bad enough to need to see the school nurse, instead of letting him go out again his mother should have taken her son to see their doctor or to ER to find out what the problem was. She didn't fulfill here own parental responsibilities any more so than the school fulfilled their responsibility about the kid's well-being. So both the school and the mother are equally remiss in their carelessness.

The article says that his official cause of death is still pending, and that Harris was attempting the "One Chip Challenge". Other than wanting to see what the official cause of death is, I'd just mark it up to some kid being stupid enough to qualify for a Darwin Award if he willingly ate the chip that was being warned about.

Peanut butter can kill people. Shrimp can kill people.

A capsaicin allergy is MUCH rarer than either of those. Basically every pepper, even bell peppers contain some level of capsaicin. It's just that a green pepper has about 10 million times LESS than the chip does.

Capsaicin cramps are a real thing. https://pexpeppers.com/blogs/hot-sau...ing-spicy-food

What the mechanism is.. I couldn't say.. But I can tell you that they're real. I had them after eating that chip and for about 2 hours, I could only lie in one position that alleviated the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I tried the chip with my kids last year just for fun. There was no real reason behind it other than just that: silly fun.
It was hot, as expected. Didn’t taste particularly good. The heat went away soon enough, just like any other extremely spicy food. I’d say perhaps even quicker than stuff like nuclear or whatever wings you can get at Buffalo Wild Wings or Winghouse, since this is just a powder-coated chip, vs thick sauce that coats your lips, mouth, throat, etc.

No way did this chip kill him. That makes no sense. One can chow down on a whole Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper and nothing other than discomfort will happen.
It's highly unlikely it did. If it was an anaphylactic reaction, it would have happened sooner.

Now.. Could it have been a contributing factor? Perhaps. Undiagnosed heart condition or similar. Not only can the capsaicin raise heart rate.. It can do a number of other things. Making you sweat.. There's generally a pretty big endorphin rush as well.. But, again, all these things would manifest while going through the heat phase. Which.. Generally lasts about 5 minutes at the extreme level.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:59 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
this is all according to his mother ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events