Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times

Advertisements

Rules

So how are the Darwin Awards actually determined?

Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. They are self-selected examples of the dangers inherent in a lack of common sense, and all human races, cultures, and socioeconomic groups are eligible to compete. Actual winners must meet the following criteria
:

Darwin Awards: History and Rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:50 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Maladaptive behavior is another one - pursuing a thing, having a trait, etc. that may be good for the individual having that trait (or even whole species having that trait), yet detrimental to the long term well-being (perhaps existence) of their own species. This remains true even if the suffering descentants won't even be born until after all original beneficiaries deaths.

I could be wrong, but this explains why bigotry is so detrimental to a society even if the bigots do benefit from it ('gentile' Europeans driving out talented Jews to the US but also the UK to a lesser extent*, white US Southerners and South Africans suppressing their respective Black populations, "Middle America" driving talented gays, "weirdoes", etc to "Coastal America", France driving its Hugenots to the Netherlands, Prussia, and England, and many other examples). In all cases, the new region gained wealth and talent at the old home's expense.

I understand that tolerance and acceptance aren't everything but it can be a make-or-break factor for priming the economic pump in addition to all others (education, infrastructure, bank's willingness to take risks, etc.).

*Victorian Britain was comparatively less antisemitic than much of continental Europe, esp. E. Europe. In fact, one Jew even became Prime Minister (Benjamin Disraeli).

Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
the crab on tongue guy, man in bearsuit and girl masturbating are all funny and very stupid but in order to get a Darwin award, the recipient must not survive.
Actually, they can survive, but not be able to breed and pass on their genes. I, too, once thought they had to die.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
the crab on tongue guy, man in bearsuit and girl masturbating are all funny and very stupid but in order to get a Darwin award, the recipient must not survive.
Actually, they can survive, but not be able to breed and pass on their genes. I, too, once thought they had to die.
I somehow doubt there's any governing body for the Darwin awards.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I somehow doubt there's any governing body for the Darwin awards.

Go here:

As noted in post #31

Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times

The spray paint and gas/cigarette guys just take the cake for me. I just can't believe those stories. Unreal.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Go here:

As noted in post #31
Thanks. But my definition varies slightly. I include activities that make the person less likely to reproduce, i.e. generate a reputation for stupidity.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:35 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thanks. But my definition varies slightly. I include activities that make the person less likely to reproduce, i.e. generate a reputation for stupidity.
Then you can call it the jbgusa awards and quit hijacking the real Darwin awards as your own.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:51 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Then you can call it the jbgusa awards and quit hijacking the real Darwin awards as your own.
From a previously posted link to the Darwin Awards site:

"So how are the Darwin Awards actually determined?

Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. They are self-selected examples of the dangers inherent in a lack of common sense, and all human races, cultures, and socioeconomic groups are eligible to compete. Actual winners must meet the following criteria:

Reproduction
Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.
Excellence
Astounding misapplication of judgment.
Self-Selection
Cause one's own demise.
Maturity
Capable of sound judgment.
Veracity
The event must be true."

What about offspring:

Since offspring may not have inherited their parents' particular stupidity gene, having already reproduced will not disqualify the parent for an award.

However, since environment plays a role, a child without the stupidity gene may learn to be stupid by observing the parent. On the other hand, if the parent does off himself with the stupid behavior, the child may decide not to emulate him.

A child with the stupidity gene may himself some day engage in behavior that earns him his own award.

Thus having had a child already will not disqualify a parent from receiving an award.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
This guy at least deserves an honorable mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjI4PacHgk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events