Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 4,707,645 times

Advertisements

I live in Cumberland Cove, so if anyone who is considering purchasing or building a home in Cumberland Cove, I can probably answer your questions as I am familiar with the Covenants and Bylaws. Cumberland Cove is a deed-restricted community, but the light restrictions that are in place help to protect property values.

Cumberland Cove is a community of approximately 550 homes spread over 8,000 acres located near Monterey, Tennessee on the Cumberland Plateau. Located about 90 miles west of Knoxville and 90 miles east of Nashville, Tennessee, our community offers pleasant and relaxed country living in a beautiful natural setting, with large wooded lots, attractive common park areas, and the perfect mix of neighborliness and peace and quiet. Wildlife is abundant in Cumberland Cove.

Last edited by jguillot; 08-25-2020 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 AM

14 posts, read 36,778 times
Thank you for the updates, that is great news about the fiber for the cove!

Old 10-10-2020, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Hello jguillot,

My wife and I are looking at property in Cumberland Cove.

1) Any preferred lot size recommended for 2,200 sf home with a small garden?

2) how much (percentage) land can cleared on a 3 acre lot?

3) Do all streets have Crossville water?

4) Do all streets have electric?

5) Do all streets have natural gas?

6) Do all streets have cable/phone/internet?

7) Will all streets have the new "fiber optics" for internet?

8) Is there a height restrictions on a house?

Thanks for any all input.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whycoft View Post
Hello jguillot,

My wife and I are looking at property in Cumberland Cove.

1) Any preferred lot size recommended for 2,200 sf home with a small garden?

Lots in Cumberland Cove range from 1 to 4 acres. Most lots on the Cumberland County side range from 1 to 2 acres. Most lots on the Putnam County side average 4 acres. You could build a 2200 square foot home and a small garden on a 1 acre lot. Most property owners prefer larger lots because they provide more privacy and space.

2) how much (percentage) land can cleared on a 3 acre lot?

Here is what our Covenants say:
In constructing any residential dwelling or other improvement on a lot, it shall be accomplished in a manner that will minimize the destruction of trees. It is the intent of the Association to assure the maximum preservation of trees in the Subject Properties. Existing trees on the subject property will not be removed unless their removal proves to be necessary i.e. due to the location of the structure or structures. Under no circumstance can any more than fifty percent of the existing trees be removed, for any reason, without Environmental Control Committee or Board approval.

We removed more trees from our building site than most people do. Many property owners want to preserve as many trees as possible. We were afraid of trees falling on our home during storms. In addition, we wanted a buffer zone between our home and the tree line to help decrease the chance of our home catching on fire if there is a forest fire. We instructed our contractor to remove all trees within 75 feet of our home on our 4 acre lot. Some people took exception to that and complained. In the end, it was determined that we removed about 25% of the trees on our lot.

3) Do all streets have Crossville water?

To the best of my knowledge, I believe all streets do have water from the City of Crossville.

4) Do all streets have electric?

Yes, all streets have electricity available.

5) Do all streets have natural gas?

Most streets do have natural gas, but some don't. If you find a lot you like, I suggest you call Middle Tennessee Natural Gas to find out it natural gas is available at your lot, before you make an offer on the lot.

6) Do all streets have cable/phone/internet?

Until now, all homes in Cumberland Cove had phone and internet services through Frontier Communications. The internet service is not high speed and is nothing more than the old DSL type service. Frontier Communications is letting their infrastructure fall apart. They have filed for bankruptcy. They are the worst telecommunications company I have ever dealt with. Their customer service is horrible. I do a lot of streaming from Netflix, so I cancelled services through Frontier and currently use ViaSat. Fortunately, our electricity provider, Volunteer Energy Cooperative (VEC), is teaming up with Twin Lakes to build high speed internet services, TV, and telephone, via fiber optic cable. This is all being paid for through federal grants. The installation of the fiber optic cable must be completed by December 15, 2020. Once it is completed, they will begin to connect home owners to their services. Until this is completed, the only option for TV is Direct TV or Dish Network.

7) Will all streets have the new "fiber optics" for internet?

To the best of my knowledge, all streets will have fiber optic cable. It is currently being installed all over Cumberland Cove.

8) Is there a height restrictions on a house?

I'm not aware of height restrictions. Most homes here 1 or 2 story homes. A large percentage of homes have basements. If you want to build a home that is more than 2 stories, I suggest you contact our Environmental Control Committee (ECC) to inquire about this. If you like walkout basements, you will be able to find a suitable lot for that purpose here.

You can find a lot of information, including our Covenants and Bylaws, and maps on the Cumberland Cove Property Owner's Association website at the following link:

https://cumberlandcovepoa.com/ccpoa2019/

A list of Board Members and ECC Members can be found at the following link:

https://cumberlandcovepoa.com/ccpoa2...ardmembers.php

Do not buy a lot without seeing it first. Some lots are not suitable for building a home because they are too steep. The best time of the year to see lots is in the fall after leaves have fallen from the trees. Without leaves in the trees, you will have a much better view of the topography.

I also suggest you read our Covenants before buying a lot.

Cumberland Cove has 4 parks with hiking trails, bluffs, waterfalls, and caves for the exclusive use of property owners. In addition, we have activities for property owners year round.

If you plan to visit Cumberland Cove to look at lots, I would be happy to assist you in any way that I can. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for any all input.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:49 PM

25 posts, read 27,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
FYI:https://newstalk941.com/funding-for-...edium=facebook

Faster Internet is on the way for residents of Cumberland Cove near Monterey.

This is great news! We'll have to put CC back on our list of places to visit. We took it off the list becuse of the lack of high speed internet.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I live in Cumberland Cove, so if anyone who is considering purchasing or building a home in Cumberland Cove, I can probably answer your questions as I am familiar with the Covenants and Bylaws. Cumberland Cove is a deed-restricted community, but the light restrictions that are in place help to protect property values.

Cumberland Cove is a community of approximately 550 homes spread over 8,000 acres located near Monterey, Tennessee on the Cumberland Plateau. Located about 90 miles west of Knoxville and 90 miles east of Nashville, Tennessee, our community offers pleasant and relaxed country living in a beautiful natural setting, with large wooded lots, attractive common park areas, and the perfect mix of neighborliness and peace and quiet. Wildlife is abundant in Cumberland Cove.

Does CC allow "backyard" chickens?

Does CC have a list of home builders you must choose from or can you hire anyone? Do you know of any who have good reputations?

Is Monterey a rough town with the packing plant nearby? We lived in Iowa for many years and the small towns with packing plants had problems with crime.

How "bad" is the drive to Cookeville or Crossville? We'd only have to make either drive once a week or so for groceries etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:20 AM

26 posts, read 33,360 times
Unfortunately, chickens aren't allowed although I suspect some folks are hiding a small coop. There are several builders that do most of the work in Cumberland Cove but any builder is allowed. They have to work with the HOA to get the home approved adhering to the setbacks and minimum square footage. The CC&R's are available on-line. Upper Cumberland Home Builders and Southern Home Builders are two of the most active. Monterey is about 10 miles from the Cove and doesn't seem to have any more crime than average. Most folks go to Crossville or Cookeville. You can take 70N or I40 to both. Traffic is minimal on 70N and takes about 20 minutes to Crossville and 30 minutes to Cookeville. By the way, I see you are from northern Idaho. We moved here from Deer Park, Wa. and are very happy with the move.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersdad View Post
Unfortunately, chickens aren't allowed although I suspect some folks are hiding a small coop. There are several builders that do most of the work in Cumberland Cove but any builder is allowed. They have to work with the HOA to get the home approved adhering to the setbacks and minimum square footage. The CC&R's are available on-line. Upper Cumberland Home Builders and Southern Home Builders are two of the most active. Monterey is about 10 miles from the Cove and doesn't seem to have any more crime than average. Most folks go to Crossville or Cookeville. You can take 70N or I40 to both. Traffic is minimal on 70N and takes about 20 minutes to Crossville and 30 minutes to Cookeville. By the way, I see you are from northern Idaho. We moved here from Deer Park, Wa. and are very happy with the move.

Thanks for your reply . We will definitely check it out next summer. 20-30 minutes is about as far out of town as we'd want to live. How long have you been there?

Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf335 View Post
This is great news! We'll have to put CC back on our list of places to visit. We took it off the list becuse of the lack of high speed internet.
I can tell you that all Cumberland Cove residents are very excited about this. We can't wait!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf335 View Post
Does CC allow "backyard" chickens?

Chickens are not allowed by our Covenants. If you have a 4 acre lot, you are allowed up to 2 horses. Dogs and cats are fine.

Does CC have a list of home builders you must choose from or can you hire anyone? Do you know of any who have good reputations?

Our Welcome Center can provide you with a 2 page list of home building contractors.

Is Monterey a rough town with the packing plant nearby? We lived in Iowa for many years and the small towns with packing plants had problems with crime.

The City of Monterey has its own police department. I rarely hear of any major crime in Monterey. Most crimes are theft and drug offenses. We are actually outside of the City of Monterey, but our mail comes through the Monterey Post Office. Crime in Cumberland Cove is almost non-existent.

How "bad" is the drive to Cookeville or Crossville? We'd only have to make either drive once a week or so for groceries etc.

If you prefer to have nearby access to stores, restaurants, doctors, and other services, you may not like living in Cumberland Cove. Some services are available in Monterey, but they are limited. Most residents drive to Cookeville or Crossville. Getting there is easy via Interstate 40. I live as far back into Cumberland Cove as you can get, so it takes me a little longer than others to get to Cookeville or Crossville, but I can usually be in either place in 25 to 30 minutes.

If you enjoy privacy, 4 distinct seasons, less than 12 inches of snow each winter, abundant wildlife, hiking trails, streams, caves, beautiful nearby parks, and light restrictions that will protect property values, you will like Cumberland Cove.

There is a lot of information, including our Covenants and Bylaws on our website. The address is provided below.

http://www.cumberlandcovepoa.com

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jguillot; 10-27-2020 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville