Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:02 PM

303 posts, read 294,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I thought James Durbin's statement on why Portobello chose Baxter Tennessee for its new factory was very interesting.

Portobello eyes factory grand opening in a year, as excitement builds around Baxter, Tenn., facility

I wonder if one of their major raw materials will be limestone, which could come from the mine in Crab Orchard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 03:27 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
I wonder if one of their major raw materials will be limestone, which could come from the mine in Crab Orchard.

Not sure about limestone but ball clay is an extremely rare raw material and is used in tile manufacturing. Tennessee is the leading producer of ball clay.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:29 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Related to Portobello, TDOT just announced that they're going to rebuild the Baxter exit on I-40. This will include widening Baxter Road, installing traffic lights, and maybe even rebuilding the on/off ramps to accommodate the increased traffic. Portobello alone will have over 100 trucks a day, plus Baxter is starting to grow like crazy. Several hundred new homes are about to get started around that exit as well as new businesses (hotel, restaurants, etc.).

Of course, TDOT is a day late and a dollar short and is more reactive than proactive, but it's still better than nothing. According to Representative Ryan Williams, this project should be completed within the next 4 years instead of the typical 16 years it usually takes TDOT to complete a project like this.

https://newstalk941.com/rep-williams...years-or-less/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-08-2022, 08:10 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,583 times
Representative Windle stated that this TDOT project, hastened by Bailey and Williams, would make Hwy 56 four lanes to the Jackson County line, but after reading a bit about the budget and potential higher costs associated with the interchange rework...not sure that will happen....who knows.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Representative Windle stated that this TDOT project, hastened by Bailey and Williams, would make Hwy 56 four lanes to the Jackson County line, but after reading a bit about the budget and potential higher costs associated with the interchange rework...not sure that will happen....who knows.
Yeah that seems a little too ambitious for the money allotted. Maybe it'll be four lanes all the way to Hwy 70. That would still be pretty ambitious since it would have to involve upgrading the Buffalo Valley Road intersection with traffic signals (which probably should be done anyway) which won't be cheap.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-08-2022, 10:51 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
With the new Tennessee Ave I-40 exit done now and the planned Expo-Event Center just north of I-40 the gap between Cookeville and Baxter is starting to fill in. Upgrading the I-40 Baxter exit and Hwy 56 will help the future growth plan.

Old 10-15-2023, 05:27 AM

The Portobello plant had its grand opening yesterday. The 1 million sq ft plant in Baxter is nearly a half mile long. It's not just a manufacturing plant as it includes quite a few executive jobs since it's also Portobello's North American headquarters. It's also going to employ 250, up from the 220 originally planned.

It's rather fortuitous that the county commission failed (by one vote) to move the county fairgrounds to this location just 3-4 years ago. Had that happened, it's likely that Portobello wouldn't be here.

It seems that the Portobello announcement was the start of Baxter's current housing boom. And, as usual, TDOT is woefully behind with its promise to improve roads around there to accommodate the increased traffic.

https://www.ucbjournal.com/portobell...p2h2dFkcejXyTc

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville