Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,187 posts, read 5,702,971 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are going to be visiting for a few days the last of October to take a look at the area; as we are considering it for our retirement. Any good restaurants (non-chain) that we should check out while we are there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM

181 posts, read 693,769 times
Crawdaddy's on Broad St. in the historic section.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM

13,370 posts, read 40,071,909 times
Definitely agree with Crawdaddy's!

Also in downtown Cookeville:

Back Room Bistro (they have a Facebook page): 39 West Broad, near the Depot

Char: 14 South Washington, on the Courthouse Square

Maddux Station: 319 East Spring, on the Courthouse Square

Made with Love Cafe (they have a Facebook page): 428 East Broad, just off the Courthouse Square

Mauricio's : 232 North Peachtree, around the corner from the Depot..

Meadow's Pharm Restaurant (they have a Facebook page): 37 North Cedar, near the Depot.

Sweet Sallie's: 11 North Oak, near the Depot.

Taiko Noodle and Sushi Bar (they have a Facebook page): 125 West Broad, across from the Depot.

World Foods (they have a Facebook page): 22 North Cedar, near the Depot.

Places to just hang out and get something sweet:

Corner Coffeebar and Arthouse (they have a Facebook page): 323 East Spring on the Courthouse Square.

Cream City Ice Cream and Coffee House (they have a Facebook page): 119 West Broad, across from the Depot.

Poet's on the Square (they have a Facebook page): 230 East Broad on the Courthouse Square.

Ralph's Doughnuts (best doughnuts on the planet): 59 South Cedar, near the Depot

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM

36,794 posts, read 31,025,425 times
Dont forget Spankies.
Grandma's pancake house for breakfast.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM

13,370 posts, read 40,071,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dont forget Spankies.
Grandma's pancake house for breakfast.
You're so right! I love Spankies: 203 East 9th, across the street from the university. For years it was the only nice, non-chain restaurant in Cookeville until all those restaurants in downtown started popping up.

I've never been to Grandma's Pancake House, but I'm glad it's a good place, too. I like it when locally owned places do well. Grandma's Pancake House (it has a Facebook page): 405 South Willow at the intersection with West Jackson (in front of the shopping center that has Belk and Sears).

I haven't eaten here in a while, but I always liked Dipsy Doodle (they have a Facebook page): 2331 West Broad (Hwy 70N). Unpretentious, meat-and-threes, good breakfasts, good burgers.

I'm also a big fan of Bobby Q's: 1070 North Washington near the university. Great BBQ, and the best banana pudding I have ever had.

I've never eaten at Flipp-N Burgers, either, but I've heard they're amazing, and Aaron Tippin eats there when he's in town (which is fairly often, I've heard). They go through something like a ton of beef every week, so they must be popular. They have a Facebook page and two locations: 635 West Main in Algood (just a few feet outside of Cookeville) and also in the Cookeville Mall/flea market.

Another place I haven't tried but would like to is the new Westside Deli (they have a Facebook page): 102 North Cedar near the Depot. They're open for breakfast and lunch and promise to have real, authentic New York bagels and reubens as well as homemade soups, salads, and desserts.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM

869 posts, read 1,794,473 times
Went to Westside Deli at lunch Saturday with my 2 kids. Wanted to like it, can't say I was impressed. All 3 sandwiches were made wrong, prices were higher than I expected. Lunch for 3, Sandwich, chips, side & drink, was $31 for the 3 of us. & this was the smaller of the sandwich choices. Each one is available is a 6 oz or 8 oz portion.

Owners did apologize and gave we cards for replacement meals. Will try that & would like to see if their bagels are tasty and see how it goes.

Only been to Grandma's once, we didn't care for that either. Although chains, IHOP & Cracker Barrel tend to be our breakfast choices.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM

70 posts, read 174,562 times
Default Jrr

For a great, and cheap, hamburger or chicken sandwich, be sure to try Flippin Burgers located inside the Shell gas station on 10th Street(also Main Street) in Algood next to the Walmart. Looks like a dive, but hamburgers to die for. Also another vote for Crawdaddy's. The citrus salmon and tenderloin medallions are out of this world.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSEA View Post
For a great, and cheap, hamburger or chicken sandwich, be sure to try Flippin Burgers located inside the Shell gas station on 10th Street(also Main Street) in Algood next to the Walmart. Looks like a dive, but hamburgers to die for. Also another vote for Crawdaddy's. The citrus salmon and tenderloin medallions are out of this world.
Fliipin Burgers now at the Mall too. To me, they are a 5 guys wanna be, only the are 5 times greasier. I'd rather hold off and get the real thing at 5 guys in Mt Juliet, Knoxville, or Chattanooga when I'm that way.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM

78 posts, read 181,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
All 3 sandwiches were made wrong, prices were higher than I expected. Lunch for 3, Sandwich, chips, side & drink, was $31 for the 3 of us.
$ 9.00 per person + tax is quite reasonable for what you ordered.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon313 View Post
$ 9.00 per person + tax is quite reasonable for what you ordered.
Had they been "NY Deli" style sandwiches, I would agree. The amount of food you got for this price, IMO, was too much. Go try a sandwich at a Jason's Deli, that's a fairly priced sandwich. BTW, there was 3 bites of cole slaw and no more than 20 chips on my plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville