Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2024, 09:25 AM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

As the kids are a little older now, we wanted to make some "once in a lifetime trips" to many places around the planet. (Once in a lifetime since I don't know if I have enough money to go again!).

What is a good portable video camera to take to record videos. I haven't been good at taking videos and usually just take photos. I have a Sony HDR-CXR430 that is several years old, and is the mini DV style camcorder with the flip out screen. It's small, but still bulky and I get lazy to use it.

What do you guys use for travel and to get kids' memories? Someone mentioned the DJI Osmo Pocket 2 or the 3. And they also have the DJI Action 4?

It needs to be small enough and instant on that I'm not lazy to use it. It won't be used to film extreme sports or action like skiing, diving, etc. Just trying to get some memories with the kids to some places we've always wanted to go to like Spain, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Alaska, Caribbean cruises, maybe a dream to see the Northern Lights one day in Iceland, Norway, Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 02:02 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Why not just use your phone?

Old 03-08-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Why not just use your phone?
Yeah, that’s what I use now and never really used much else other than the traditional camcorders. Didn’t know if a dedicated video camera was better. I guess it may come down to convenience then? With all those handles on the osmo, tripod on the dji - use a handle/tripod with the Action 4?

I find the phone hard to hold most of the time for videos longer than a minute and then having to keep switching to camera mode.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:24 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Yeah, that’s what I use now and never really used much else other than the traditional camcorders. Didn’t know if a dedicated video camera was better. I guess it may come down to convenience then? With all those handles on the osmo, tripod on the dji - use a handle/tripod with the Action 4?

I find the phone hard to hold most of the time for videos longer than a minute and then having to keep switching to camera mode.
There's any number of holders and tripods available for phones if ergonomics is an issue.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:07 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I agree with the phone idea. I'll also caution that working to record video takes away from the actual experience of being there at the time. There is a whole different frame of mind that is needed to take decent video. BTDT.

Read up on the area you plan to visit, including the history of the area. When you go, you can then put things in a greater context, maybe get a short clip or photo, and not obsess over recording.

What I might suggest instead is to pick up the ephemera that is available, and record or write a diary of what happened and where each day. Save all of that in a single box or album. Give it fifty or a hundred years and the ephemera will be worth $$$ and the written word will give much more insight into the trip and who you were at the time.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I agree with the phone idea. I'll also caution that working to record video takes away from the actual experience of being there at the time. There is a whole different frame of mind that is needed to take decent video. BTDT.

Read up on the area you plan to visit, including the history of the area. When you go, you can then put things in a greater context, maybe get a short clip or photo, and not obsess over recording.

What I might suggest instead is to pick up the ephemera that is available, and record or write a diary of what happened and where each day. Save all of that in a single box or album. Give it fifty or a hundred years and the ephemera will be worth $$$ and the written word will give much more insight into the trip and who you were at the time.

That's definitely true and important to consider. I believe back in the 80's, my dad was too into holding the large heavy camcorder and he didn't actually get to experience all of the places we went.

I will probably scratch the Action 4 off my list and add the Sony ZV-1 vlogging camera to my list with the tripod stick as an option. Just something compact and easy to record. Thanks for the tips.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:52 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I've seen people take digital videos on trips, but when I talk to them they say they can't get anyone to watch them! Simply showing a still photo to someone is hard enough, never mind a jumpy video of unknown length. So for sure you probably should also take some still shots. I use a film camera for that because you can hand a photo to someone, which is a totally different experience than looking at a pic on a monitor or a phone.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:32 AM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
So many people on the youtube travel channels use the Sony ZV-1, why not just get that? I think it's fairly small that it fits in your pocket. Takes 20MP stills also. Heard the battery life is not great when doing only video, so you might want like 3 extra batteries to last all day.

If it's not compact, you won't use it. Too many people make recommendations for full frame large ,mirrorless cameras.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:41 PM

65 posts, read 24,385 times
Second thoughts, recently tried out a friend’s ZV-1 - he took it with us to a dance recital. With him switching between photos and videos, the camera hardly lasted 45 min! That’s terrible! He had 2 extra batteries on him at least.

The Action 4 lasts 2 hours for video. I dunno, I think it’s just hard to get a good video camera that’s also very small and fits in your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics