Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 10:26 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Any TV from the last 10 years will connect to a soundbar, and I never use an auxiliary jack. Attached below are the connections that a TV and soundbar might have.

Cindy, are you using an antenna, or do you have another source (cable box, streaming device, etc)?
I have a cable box. I can't remember how old the TV is. I got a new one but my friend couldn't connect it well. So I'll try using the old TV for a while anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 10:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Off topic, but I rely on closed captioning a lot while my hearing aids are broken. I use CC a lot anyway, like when I am too lazy to use the hearing aids or it is a show/movie that is not heavy on dialogue.

Your TV may not support closed captioningor maybe you just don't want to have to take your eyes off the picture. In any event, that wasn't the help you were looking for. I don't know how you can just "hear better" without hearing aids. Anything else will only yield a small improvement, and probably not significant. Once you stop being able to make out the sounds of some letters, just making everything louder doesn't help unless it is a LOT LOUDER.

I would just caution against headphones. They tend to accelerate hearing loss. If you are hearing is already going, headphones will just speed up that process.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Protect your guests and neighbors.... Use TV ears. (Or similar)

https://www.bestreviews.guide/tv-headset-for-seniors?

You don't have to use damaging loud with headset or ear buds. But it greatly enhances ability to clearly hear the details of dialogue and music

With a. Older TV, you may need a sound bar to implement a wireless device. You can find sound bars at thrift stores.

My mom introduced the TV ears 10+ yrs ago, as she and her spouse preferred different programs, so they used a split screen TV and each enjoyed their programming and audio and visitors could chose to hear nothing. (Total silence while they heard their programs). Chose something very light, with a built in charger on a convenient holder that can hang nearby (reaching distance).

Old 01-17-2024, 11:24 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
If you have or purchase a smart TV you can get wireless speakers that perhaps you could put behind you or on a coffee table near you.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:54 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Off topic, but I rely on closed captioning a lot while my hearing aids are broken. I use CC a lot anyway, like when I am too lazy to use the hearing aids or it is a show/movie that is not heavy on dialogue.

Your TV may not support closed captioningor maybe you just don't want to have to take your eyes off the picture. In any event, that wasn't the help you were looking for. I don't know how you can just "hear better" without hearing aids. Anything else will only yield a small improvement, and probably not significant. Once you stop being able to make out the sounds of some letters, just making everything louder doesn't help unless it is a LOT LOUDER.

I would just caution against headphones. They tend to accelerate hearing loss. If you are hearing is already going, headphones will just speed up that process.

As I referenced in my earlier post, this company - ZVOX ( https://zvox.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI...SAAEgJ18_D_BwE ) does make equipment that improves the listening experience. I listed their Amazon store in the previous post.

From their site: "Can't Hear Voices On TV? AccuVoice Is The Answer. ZVOX is the industry leader in dialogue-boosting speakers. Our AccuVoice TV Speakers use patented hearing aid technology to lift voices out of background noises, making dialogue clear and easy to understand - even at low volumes."

I was able to use a small soundbar style speaker and move it closer to the listening position (thus reducing the need for higher volume). We adjusted the settings that best suited the user, Since then, I haven't heard any complaints.

Added note: the person using the speaker recently had a hearing test and was told that they did need hearing aids. And no, I have no connection with that company except for being a customer.

Last edited by Paul_G; 01-17-2024 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 01-17-2024, 05:20 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I like to use CC (closed-captioning) to augment the sound, so I can hear and read together. Maybe that's a setting that is available.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

ok, good points. I bought a soundbar today but honestly can't figure how to connect it. Because I don't know that much about my TV and it calls for connections I haven't the vaguest idea about. I may call a friend. Most of the stations, now that you mention it, I can hear ok. There are a few that are muffled. Probably what I need to do is call the cable service. And maybe return the soundbar. :-( oh well. P.S. Although I do have hearing loss. I have to ask people to speak louder sometimes.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:57 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
About 5 years ago, i wanted a little more volume on my 40 inch flatscreen tv, so i hooked up a pair of old speakers i have from one of my old computers. This has helped when a program i''m watching needs a little more volume. I hooked the speakers up to the audio out connection on the back of my tv
Sometimes i use closed captioning setting when the speaking dialogue isn't clear to my hearing.

Have a great day, Cindi...

Old 01-18-2024, 05:10 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
ok, good points. I bought a soundbar today but honestly can't figure how to connect it. Because I don't know that much about my TV and it calls for connections I haven't the vaguest idea about. I may call a friend. Most of the stations, now that you mention it, I can hear ok. There are a few that are muffled. Probably what I need to do is call the cable service. And maybe return the soundbar.
The cable company doesn't fix "muffled" stations.

I'm not giving up on you if you don't want to pay the Best Buy Geek Squad $100 to hook it up. Does your new soundbar include cables? Which cables does it include? My post #10 shows all the cable/connection types. You may need a flashlight to look at the back of the TV.

- Write down the exact make and model number of the TV
- Look at the cable between the cable box and the TV and match it up with one of the connection types in my post #10. Which is it?
- Give us the make and model of your new soundbar as well.

We can look up all the connection types available for your TV and soundbar and make a recommendation which one you should use. If you can physically make the connections we might be able to guide you through it.

Last edited by akrausz; 01-18-2024 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics