Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2023, 06:11 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

Every time I set up a new TV system, things are different.

This time, it's Spectrum, and they've sent a streaming device along with all the other stuff, the Xumo streambox, which I assume is their answer to Roku and the others. I've decided not to install that. Hopefully the system will work without it.

My question is: by the time I've got my modem installed with the coax, connected it to the router, and got the internet going, there is no "out" from the modem to the TV. Do I have to install a splitter before the modem so I can get a coax line to install in the TV? Nothing in the directions tells me how to actually get the TV working, as they are so busy telling you how to install internet. I tried the Spectrum app but it didn't let me get past the Xumo device. Hope I don't have to install that thing before the TV will work.

Thanks as usual for all the patient help for a non-techie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 04:34 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
You won't need a splitter to connect the Xumo box to the TV, the Xumo doesn't have a coax port. You should have an HDMI (digital video) cable that connects from the Xumo to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV. The Xumo uses wifi to connect to the wifi router (sometimes wifi router is built into the cable modem) and has a power cable. If you plug the HDMI cable into TV HDMI port 1, then your TV "source" needs to be set as HDMI 1 - use the source button on your TV's remote control.

https://www.xumo.com/products/xumo-stream-box

Old 10-31-2023, 07:09 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Yep, your 'cable tv box' is the Xumo. I set one of these up for someone recently. Refused to use any other setup because...the Xumo still allows you to change channels using number keys.

Old 10-31-2023, 01:19 PM

Oh okay. So they've fixed it so you have to use their Roku equivalent. Does it completely overlap the Roku and what about all the channels I've subscribed to through Roku? Guess I have to install the Xumo AND the Roku. Darn!

And of course I've run out of electricity now so will have to get a power strip for all these gadgets.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:26 AM

Right. Well, got the power strip, installed the Xumo, which I will probably never use, then installed the Roku, and am done. Thanks everyone, for the comments and help. Now I have to find something nice-looking to cover up the plethora of wires and other junk behind the TV.

BTW, can't believe that the basic Spectrum package doesn't cover PBS here. I thought PBS was one of the necessities of life.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Aren't you paying for "Live TV from the Xumo? If you aren't using that,. you can drop it.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:37 AM

I actually have to delve into what is in there. On the guide, there are no channel numbers, just names, and I have found a couple of "radio station" type identifiers which sounded like they might be PBS but when I went into them I got the message that they were an upgrade. I shall keep looking, however, but have been using the live version of PBS less and less lately anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics