Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:01 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

We’ve been watching more antenna TV lately. While I love the true high definition picture of major network broadcast, I don’t like the pixelating on weak signal stations. In analog days I would get some snowy picture but uninterrupted sound as well as constant play instead of frozen picture until signal clear enough for play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 09:29 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I don't exactly miss antenna TV, but I do miss being able simply to turn on the TV or put in a tape/disc and immediately watch something. Using our smart TV with all the remotes is a huge hassle.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:01 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't exactly miss antenna TV, but I do miss being able simply to turn on the TV or put in a tape/disc and immediately watch something. Using our smart TV with all the remotes is a huge hassle.
I agree. Or learning that for some things my smart tv isn't smart enough

Old 08-10-2023, 03:10 PM

1,095 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I do miss being able simply to turn on the TV or put in a tape/disc and immediately watch something. Using our smart TV with all the remotes is a huge hassle.
With discs, it's the other way around for me. Today, with both the TV and disc player off, all I have to do is press one button on the disc player...done.

Having said that, watching TV via the antenna is an after-thought, and requires too many button presses. And then it changes when they update the firmware.

Last edited by akrausz; 08-10-2023 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 04:01 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Having said that, watching TV via the antenna is an after-thought, and requires too many button presses. And then it changes when they update the firmware.
Antenna firmware? Or do you mean the TV firmware itself?

When I do watch OTA, it's the simplest of buttons...one. Whatever's on is what's on. Simpler than even the simplest of apps. My biggest issue is that the remotes aren't really great with dealing with the digital channel layouts with all the .1 .2 subchannel options. But I generally only go to OTA for golf or football, picture is amazing.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Antenna firmware? Or do you mean the TV firmware itself?

When I do watch OTA, it's the simplest of buttons...one. Whatever's on is what's on. Simpler than even the simplest of apps. My biggest issue is that the remotes aren't really great with dealing with the digital channel layouts with all the .1 .2 subchannel options. But I generally only go to OTA for golf or football, picture is amazing.
TV firmware. Antennas don't have firmware. My Vizio used to work like yours until it was updated. Overall I like the update because now I have a full OTA guide (like cable TV) that I never had before. It's all integrated together with the Vizio channels that are higher channel numbers than the 2-69 OTA channels.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I disagree, because even the occasional pixelation on a weaker station is not as bad as the ghosts, flickering, and other distortions we used to get. Remember the "vertical hold" and "Horizontal Hold" knobs we used to have?

Old 08-11-2023, 11:00 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I am cheap and don't have any pay TV, still use antennas for TVs. While I do like the additional channels with digital, I also get frustrated with the pixilation of stations , particularly at different times of the year. I have a DVR that records some shows but waltzing the antenna around is a hassle.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:05 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnajestic View Post
Yes I mi$$ it also...... Analogue is beautiful,both video and audio!!

Its just not the same......

I remember TV DX on channels 2-6 every morning and sometimes higher than that!!

The highest channel I ever saw skip was channel 40 from baltimore..... I got that in Devon PA several times at night when I lived there........ (OTA)
In our area as a kid we had a very tall outdoor antenna that was far above the roof. We had the usual local stations (ABC, CBS, & PBS) and more distant stations (1 ABC, 2 NBC, 1 CBS, & 1 PBS). I installed an outdoor antenna in our attic to protect from wind and lightning (we live in south Louisiana). With channel search auto program we had well over 20 stations available but I removed duplicate network stations, stations too weak for ok signal reception, and Spanish language stations. Wife stays home all day due to health. She’s 55 and before the age of 50 she had already had 3 spinal surgeries and both knees replaced. She enjoys our PBS 24.3 Create station as well as a classic game show station (think it’s called Buzz or Buzzr). Our local CBS station is in a contract dispute with DirecTV so we’re watching that station on antenna. I like Laff network for some old comedy series.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnajestic View Post
Yes I mi$$ it also...... Analogue is beautiful,both video and audio!!

Its just not the same......

I remember TV DX on channels 2-6 every morning and sometimes higher than that!!

The highest channel I ever saw skip was channel 40 from baltimore..... I got that in Devon PA several times at night when I lived there........ (OTA)
I read your first sentence and, at first, dismissed the part about analog video. Then I had to go look up what is TV DX. Wow! I remember DXing in the 60's and 70's, and had no idea there was even a name for it until your post.

And that brought back another memory. In my hometown in the sticks, my father was a motel owner and, together with a neighbor motel owner, installed an antenna on top of the mountain behind us and split the feed to over 50 TV's. Had to have been at least a quarter of a mile away...somewhat revolutionary at the time before cable TV was invented. It worked and we were able to pull in Boston, about 120 miles away. Today people there don't even bother with OTA, because it usually just doesn't work. So I can't believe I'm actually typing this: digital OTA was a downgrade in that part of the world.

Last edited by akrausz; 08-14-2023 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics