Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 12:35 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it was a power glitch(we have a surge protector I believe) but yesterday the desktop showed message hard drive doesn't exist. It's a Dell Vostro I got a couple years ago from an office setting,so it may not be the most up to date thing...but for our small needs it was fine. However it may have just aged out. Is this repairable or even recoverable and transferable to a new unit?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 01:27 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
I assume you've power-cycled?

Are you possibly able to open the case and look at/re-seat the HDD?

Old 07-19-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I assume you've power-cycled?

Are you possibly able to open the case and look at/re-seat the HDD?
I'm at work now but when I get home that's one of the things I'll do.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
When you open it up, check if it is spinning. As far as recovery, one must figure out what is wrong first. Everybody should back up their files, but most people don't...until it fails.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:55 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Was the computer inadvertently dropped or hit with something while it was in use? According to the answers I got here when I had a similar issue, this could have been responsible for bricking my hard drive. However, I believe that's only applicable if you have an actual HDD as opposed to a solid state drive.

If it turns out you need to replace your hard drive, I highly recommend ifixit.com. They can even sell you th miniature tools you will need in order to be able to do the job easily. I replaced my original 500Gb HDD with a 500Gb SSD and I'm very happy with the result.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Before you open the case and start monkeying around.

* Turn it off
* Disconnect the power cord
* Push and hold the power button for 5 seconds while it's unplugged
* Plug it back in, power it on and cross your fingers

Old 07-19-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
When you open it up, check if it is spinning. As far as recovery, one must figure out what is wrong first. Everybody should back up their files, but most people don't...until it fails.
I've had a computer black out and go dead on me before...luckily they were still able to extract the data and transfer onto another drive.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Was the computer inadvertently dropped or hit with something while it was in use? According to the answers I got here when I had a similar issue, this could have been responsible for bricking my hard drive. However, I believe that's only applicable if you have an actual HDD as opposed to a solid state drive.
It was not moved,as I had mentioned it may have been a power surge. And yes it's an I3 drive,not a solid state.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:08 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
No idea but I got my Dell computer working by
turning on for about 15 seconds (about 1/2 the time it takes to boot) and then off
Did this three or four times.
This forced the computer into recovery mode.
Hopefully this will result in the drive working.
In short you are trying to force the computer to go directly to recovery mode (this is a menu item if the computer was running).

Old 07-20-2023, 06:54 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
However it may have just aged out. Is this repairable or even recoverable and transferable to a new unit?...
Quote:
I've had a computer black out and go dead on me before...luckily they were still able to extract the data and transfer onto another drive.
Quote:
It was not moved,as I had mentioned it may have been a power surge. And yes it's an I3 drive,not a solid state.
A blacked out computer most likely had no problem with the hard drive. If your hard drive is end of life...I'll just keeping saying people need to back up their files. Also I run a small UPS. It helps, not only with power outages, but with fluctuations as well. Those are things you can do proactively, and they greatly reduce (if not eliminate) the need for recovery.

Again (if it is not an SSD), someone will need to determine if it is spinning.

Last edited by akrausz; 07-20-2023 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers