Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:31 AM

7,789 posts, read 8,058,418 times

Advertisements

Scam is still going I got the popup last week.Pressed the power button for 10 secs and it was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 01:35 PM

1,154 posts, read 683,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Scam is still going I got the popup last week.Pressed the power button for 10 secs and it was gone.
Turning off the power to make the pop-up go away doesn't fix malware potentially hiding on your computer. As explained by Turco earlier in this thread, he suggested how to run a scan to see what it comes up with.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,093,357 times
You actually called them LOL

Old 04-30-2024, 01:39 PM

37,807 posts, read 46,321,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Someone from the Best Buy Geek Squad told me to hit Control + Shift + Escape to get to task manager to go to end the particular task that's running the virus ...works for me every time...
This is over a year old. And anyone that does not know how to recover from such common malware attempts needs to get off the computer.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:05 AM

241 posts, read 195,856 times
I also have done support for over 30 years. One of the best tricks the hackers do is once they're on the PC they the uncheck the setting for Show Desktop icons. Then even if the person being hacked gets the PC to shutdown they will call me in a panic because they have nothing on their desktop.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:34 AM

8,432 posts, read 13,563,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
I also have done support for over 30 years. One of the best tricks the hackers do is once they're on the PC they the uncheck the setting for Show Desktop icons. Then even if the person being hacked gets the PC to shutdown they will call me in a panic because they have nothing on their desktop.
So, what is your number?

Old 05-17-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Well Microsoft does not send security messages through popups on a web pages basic PC knowledge you should of known immediately.All security alerts will come in internally not on a web page your surfing. They got you your exactly who they were hoping to catch.That you would see the popup and take it seriously they also would of locked you on the page making it seem even worse.If its a popup its a scam learn to recognize them.This is a common internet scam and how many get caught answering a popup..
This thread is more than a year old and at this point, it is like beating on a dead horse.

Old Today, 03:08 PM

7,165 posts, read 12,745,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This is over a year old. And anyone that does not know how to recover from such common malware attempts needs to get off the computer.
?? still works for me even when control/alt/delete doesn't...

Old Today, 05:50 PM

Quote:
?? still works for me even when control/alt/delete doesn't...
What still works for you?

Quote:
Someone from the Best Buy Geek Squad told me to hit Control + Shift + Escape to get to task manager to go to end the particular task that's running the virus ...works for me every time...
This?

There is nothing special about opening Task Manager but more importantly. This so-called hack/virus is actually nothing more than a glorified "pop up". If all you see on your screen is something similar to the attacked image, then your computer is not infected or hacked, just yet. You call the number or interact with the pop-up then things change. All you are doing is killing the browser session which makes the fake warning screen go away.
Attached Thumbnails
New Win 11 laptop hacked.-malware_sml.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers