Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,650 times

Advertisements

I too have been trying to find information on this happening on the internet. It seems to be nonexistent. My sister and I were there that day, at Callaway Gardens, with our grandparents. We were given the option of the boat ride or the circus that was located nearby the lake. I chose the circus, and I remember when we came out of the tent, there was chaos. The boat was sinking, if I remember correctly. I was elementary school age, and my sister was younger. I would like to know what year it happened, as there is now no one around to ask. I would also like to know more details about the incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,650 times
Unhappy Callaway Gardens History Question

I too was there the day the boat sank at Callaway Gardens. I have done internet searches trying to find the exact year it happened, as well as any other details. My sister and I were there with our grandparents.We were given the choice of the boat ride or the circus on the nearby bank of the lake. I chose the circus, and remember the chaos when we emerged from the circus tent. The boat was sinking. It traumatized me as a child. I would like to be able to find some more details, as no one is around in my family anymore to ask.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 AM

14 posts, read 45,877 times
This single line from Wikipedia, which is not referenced "Robin Lake was the site of a terrible ferry accident in the 70's" is all the confirmation that this happened out there.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Paddle boat accident

I was there that day too. It was Sunday, June 30, 1974. It was on the same day that a shooting took place at Ebenezer Babtist Church in Atlanta in which MLK's mother, Alberta King was killed. The accident happened because a ski boat got too close to an already overloaded boat and the wake from it caused water to splash into the paddle wheel boat. This caused some overly panicked people to suddenly move to one side and the probably already overloaded boat tipped over. Lots of people were on the boat and all life jackets were stowed in lockers. I remember watching the lifeguards performing CPR on the end of the long dock and then stopping. It's unclear to me whether anyone died that day, but it seems someone did.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times
So there were cover-ups, even "way back" then?? Wow, who'd a thunk it! Especially from such influential people!

I don't know how you'd go about it, but you might try searching for any lawsuits that may have been filed in that area at that time. At least now we know it wasn't a dream.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:41 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times
Wikipedia makes mention of a "terrible ferry accident in the 70s" at Callaway Gardens.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
I think this is a picture of the boat
Attached Thumbnails
Callaway Gardens History Question-callaway-boat2.jpg  

Old 08-05-2023, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Picture of the boat

Trying to post a picture of the boat here from an old ad. Can't seem to find that option.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:53 PM

36 posts, read 61,240 times
Default Sternwheeler boat ride at Robin Lake Beach Callaway Gardens

Two Links to Two Vintage Postcards:

https://ibb.co/B41nMgR

https://ibb.co/McbMrzs

Last edited by jobshopper; 08-06-2023 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Wrong url

Old 10-13-2023, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
Default Article Found

Hi, I was intrigued by the news, so I searched and found an article. It doesn't appear that I can attach the article to this post. But, I did find an article and an 18 month old boy was tragically killed and four persons were admitted to the hospital, but later listed in good condition. There were 24 persons on board the Mississippi River Boat when it sank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: