Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times

Advertisements

I realize 10-15 years ago, this discussion would probably receive a much different reception. But with the advent of online degree programs, I'm curious what people's thoughts are as they pertain to career prospects.

When I refer to online degree programs, I'm not specifically interested in traditional brick & mortars who offer some online degree paths. I'm referring to schools who are exclusively online. Some of these schools are completely independent (i.e. Western Governors University, SNHU), but some fall under the umbrella of public university systems (i.e. Colorado State U-Global, PurdueU Global, UMaryland-Global). These are all regionally accredited schools, which is the highest accreditation they can receive. These are also non-profit schools.

All that said, it seems like there is some wariness around these types of schools, specifically because of the reputation that preceded them by for-profit online schools that are often referred to as "diploma mills" who scammed students out of thousands of dollars in money for degrees that were mostly worthless. Most of the schools mentioned above generally have good reputations as far as their academics are concerned. However, many people gripe about how hands off the programs are, and how they struggle with the self-guided learning.

Assuming you're only looking for a path into a career and not necessarily all the glitz and glamour of a specific career path (I.e. not looking to work up the ladder at Goldman). And assuming you're perfectly fine with the self-guided learning approach. Do you think there is generally any concern with attending one of these institutions as it pertains to the value and weight they carry in the job market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My sister-in-law got an online Master degree and within a fee months applied for and got a promotion that doubled her salary.
Then more recently our youngest son got his BA online and almost immediately got promoted from manager to director. Where I work a woman who was an admin in Legal got her law degree online, passed the bar, and is now one of our lawyers.

Those are the only examples I know of, all 3 worked out very well.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My sister-in-law got an online Master degree and within a fee months applied for and got a promotion that doubled her salary.
Then more recently our youngest son got his BA online and almost immediately got promoted from manager to director. Where I work a woman who was an admin in Legal got her law degree online, passed the bar, and is now one of our lawyers.

Those are the only examples I know of, all 3 worked out very well.
Thanks for the response. Are they one of the aforementioned, exclusively online schools? Just curious.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:11 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I think a lot of it depends on the degree and the school. I wouldn't get a bachelor's from an online only school because most folks are still to young and naive at that point and need to direction provided by having to get up and get to class; by having to do laundry; by having to "adult." They also don't have the savvy about classes and self-guided learning at that point.

Now, different scenario. Older person with a bit if "living" behind them doesn't need the hand holding. They can do well in an online scenario. Then it becomes about the quality behind the program. I'd still put a degree from Purdue, or Johns Hopkins, or another school that already has a solid brick and mortar reputation than an online only school. Some of those places may be accredited but doesn't mean they are quality.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:20 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My son got his MBA during the pandemic from WGU. They had a very lovely commencement ceremony in Dallas. I think the school is very well respected, and affordable. The courses can be taken at your own speed, so it is possible to speed through the subjects you are already proficient in. I could be wrong, but I think it was about $6000 a year or a term.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:58 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think a lot of it depends on the degree and the school. I wouldn't get a bachelor's from an online only school because most folks are still to young and naive at that point and need to direction provided by having to get up and get to class; by having to do laundry; by having to "adult." They also don't have the savvy about classes and self-guided learning at that point.

Now, different scenario. Older person with a bit if "living" behind them doesn't need the hand holding. They can do well in an online scenario. Then it becomes about the quality behind the program. I'd still put a degree from Purdue, or Johns Hopkins, or another school that already has a solid brick and mortar reputation than an online only school. Some of those places may be accredited but doesn't mean they are quality.
I agree, but lately, with many parents pulling their kids out of colleges that have inappropriate activities, the online schools may gain more respect.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Thanks for the response. Are they one of the aforementioned, exclusively online schools? Just curious.
One was, Phoenix, the other two were online at brick/mortar schools.

Old 11-16-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I agree, that's a fair assessment. One thing to note for many of these schools is that they accept nearly everyone as long as you have a high school diploma (maybe a GED). This, in turn, really brings down their graduation rates at the undergrad level. Some of the biggest gripes I read online seem to come from younger or inexperienced students who were expecting more of a hands-on experience. The self-guided learning experience is a bit of a shock to them and I get a bit of that frustration. But hey, when you're paying 1/2 the price per credit hour, what can you expect? I feel like I've gotten quite a bit out of my experience in my master's program, mainly because I know it's up to me to stay on task and get the most of the learning materials. I say this even in relation to my undergrad experience, which was at a highly ranked brick & mortar. I was way less focused than I am now. I also like the customer-centric focus of the school I attend. When I was in undergrad, it always felt like you were treated more or less like it was a privilege to be there. Here, I have a success counselor who's available 5 days a week. The instructors tend to respond within a day. And even some of the tutoring services have come a long way since I first started.

I just spoke to a hiring manager I work with at a F100 who graduated from the same school I'm currently attending. He assuaged a lot of my concerns about the weight they carry in the job market. That said, he acknowledged there will always be people out there with biases towards certain schools or types of schools. Can't really knock him on that.

Old 11-16-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son got his MBA during the pandemic from WGU. They had a very lovely commencement ceremony in Dallas. I think the school is very well respected, and affordable. The courses can be taken at your own speed, so it is possible to speed through the subjects you are already proficient in. I could be wrong, but I think it was about $6000 a year or a term.
As far as independent online schools, I have heard mostly positive things about WGU. That's really great considering they don't have the big rep of a brick & mortar to fall back on.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:31 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Why on-line only? They typically are not any cheaper than a brick and mortar school, and you don't have the potential stigma.

I think it depends on the degree type, what you intend to do with it, and where you apply. A teacher (for example) may just need to check a box that they received a master's degree from a nationally or regionally accredited university. Some employers require regional accreditation. Some employers and fields consider on-line only degrees "less than." What is your end game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities