Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times

Advertisements

State is the latest albatross for Michigan. Harbaugh needs better QB play and maybe a new OC. A bruising schedule ahead with PSU, Wisconsin and OSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
State is the latest albatross for Michigan. Harbaugh needs better QB play and maybe a new OC. A bruising schedule ahead with PSU, Wisconsin and OSU.
This one was again mostly on the offense. The defense played reasonably well. The first interception may have been on O'Korn, but the second and third are on Drevno, and to some extent Harbaugh, for not factoring in the weather and continuing to call a pass heavy offense despite the deluge. Even when the weather was decent during the first half, the running game seemed to be moving the ball, but Michigan seemed to be calling pass after pass and drops and sacks stalled out drives.

I was initially predicting 8-10 wins and 3 Big Ten losses. I thought we'd take State at home, but since we dropped that one I'll revise up to probably 4 Big Ten losses, as I think we're underdogs in all three games listed by Bondurant. My best prediction at this point is 9-4, with loses to State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and OSU, and a win in a second tier bowl game. I still hold my prediction that in 2 years the team will be competing for a Big Ten title (don't see it happening next year with a Freshman or Sophomore QB with zero starts).

Old 10-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Another close win against a not great team in the victory in OT @ IU. Higdon had a good game with a few big runs. Otherwise O struggled again. The penalties were frustrating to watch. @PSU this week will most likely be a loss. Rutgers is the only game left that should be an easy win. Maryland and Minnesota should be Michigan favored, but I expect close games in those two. OSU and @ Wisconsin are still looking like they will be losses.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:02 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
The dream ends tonight. Penn State is so good but I will never have respect and can't stomach anyone that would want to be associated with that vile program.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Dominating win for Penn State. I thought Michigan would lose, but expected the Defense to keep it a close game. Michigan hasn't lost this badly in a couple of years. Michigan offense had a couple of decent series but had trouble sustaining drives due to miscues. Saquon Barkley had a great game. Even when he didn't have the ball, Michigan D was so keyed in to him that it opened up lanes for McSorley to run. Big Ten East should come down to OSU vs PSU as long as both teams stay relatively healthy.

Michigan's next 3 games are all win-able. I was surprised to see Rutgers beat Purdue. I still think Michigan should get the win at home and become bowl eligible unless the offense turns the ball over a lot.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Michigan gets the 6th win over an overmatched Rutgers team. The big news this game was pulling O'Korn in the second quarter for redshirt freshman Brandon Peters. Peters looked better than O'Korn. Still his accuracy wasn't amazing, and there were a couple of throws that should have been picks by a decent secondary. One of the weaknesses of this Michigan team is blocking, but Rutgers doesn't have a stellar defensive front, so they didn't get much pressure on Peters. A nice game to get some gametime reps for Peters, but the real question is how he will respond to pressure when Michigan plays a better team. Hopefully, he doesn't end up getting as flustered as Speight and O'Korn did when they realized they couldn't count on the line/RB's to pick up the pass rush.

Next week vs Minnesota in Ann Arbor. I think Michigan should win, but it will be closer than the Rutgers game.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 PM

Michigan beats Minnesota; the game was pretty much over by the end of the first half, and Michigan D looked pretty good after they got settled in following the first 2 Gopher drives. Peters had a pretty meh performance, 8 of 13 for 56 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, but he wasn't called on to do much. He one-hopped a few passes. Minnesota got more pressure than Rutgers with 3 sacks. Peters didn't show much ability to avoid the pressure, which is going to be a problem the last 2 games of the regular season when Michigan faces some talented, aggressive defenses. The running game really got going with three 60 yd plus runs for touchdowns. Higdon had 200 yds rushing and Evans added another 191yds on the ground.

Predicting the last W of the Big Ten season next week against Maryland. To beat OSU or Wisconsin, those teams will have to play sloppy/turnover the ball and Michigan will need to play close to mistake-free football. While Michigan may not be a top team in the Big Ten this year, given the youth I'll be pretty happy with an 8+ win season.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
While Michigan may not be a top team in the Big Ten this year, given the youth I'll be pretty happy with an 8+ win season.
You should expect more. With all of the four star and a few five star recruits, this team should be doing much better than they are, even if they're young.

Here are the current W/L records of the teams that Michigan beat this year:
  • 3-4 Florida
  • 3-6 Cincinatti
  • 4-5 Air Force Academy
  • 4-5 Purdue
  • 3-6 Indiana
  • 4-5 Rutgers
  • 4-5 Minnesota

Not a winner in the bunch.

Michigan is playing 4-5 Maryland next week, which is probably their last win of the regular season. They'll likely lose to 9-0 Wisconsin and 7-2 Ohio State. They've already lost to 7-2 Penn State and 7-2 Michigan State. And Michigan State's team is just as young, if not younger than Michigan's.

IMO, Jim Harbaugh should already be on the hot seat. If he doesn't pull an upset against Ohio State this year, or if he loses again to Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State next year, it's highly likely that the Wolverine fan base will be burning their khaki pants outside the Big House next November.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
IMO, Jim Harbaugh should already be on the hot seat. If he doesn't pull an upset against Ohio State this year, or if he loses again to Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State next year, it's highly likely that the Wolverine fan base will be burning their khaki pants outside the Big House next November.
While there are some morons that think he should be on the hot seat, most Michigan fans realize where the program came from and where Michigan is at. Harbaugh first recruiting season was 2015, so those recruits are true Sophs or red-shirt freshman right now. He did well with Hoke's early recruits the last few seasons. Hoke's later recruiting classes dropped off in talent over time as he racked up more losses, so there are only a few Jr's or
Sr's starting on O or D. I think the next two seasons are going to be pretty good for Michigan, as the young players get experience.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM

Fairly easy win over Maryland this week. Michigan dominated the first half, 2nd half wasn't anything special, but didn't need to be. Defense looked sloppy but didn't give up a lot of points. Peters wasn't pressured or tested again, sailed a couple of passes, but overall did fine. A few big injuries this game which could be a problem going forward depending on how serious they are. Top RB Higdon left the game, as did backup Isaacs. Rashan Gary also left the game. If they miss the next couple of games, Michigan is in trouble.

The competition should pick up this week against Wisconsin in Madison. If I was a betting man I'd predict a loss, but I still don't have a fix on how good the Badgers are. Still holding to my prediction of a 9-4 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football