Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM

295 posts, read 973,958 times

Advertisements

I've ate at the one that was in Hartwell. At t hat time, Frisch's was closed one day a week, I think Tuesday. It wasn't bad till a lot of the wrong kind of people got to hanging out there. Once that happened, it went down hill fast. I think it closed in the late 60's before me and my husband married in 1968. The hamburger was called a Big 60 and they were open 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
I've ate at the one that was in Hartwell. At t hat time, Frisch's was closed one day a week, I think Tuesday. It wasn't bad till a lot of the wrong kind of people got to hanging out there. Once that happened, it went down hill fast. I think it closed in the late 60's before me and my husband married in 1968. The hamburger was called a Big 60 and they were open 24/7.

That's right! I forgot about that. I worked in Hartwell in the 60's and that place turned into a biker hangout. I think it was on the west side of Vine St. around where the Frisch's is now, right?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM

It was on the southeast corner of Vine Street, Wilson. Actually, it was at Vine and Sheehan. Sheehan turns into Compton Road once you cross Vine Street.

Edited to add that it was right across the street from Frisch's.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
It was on the southeast corner of Vine Street, Wilson. Actually, it was at Vine and Sheehan. Sheehan turns into Compton Road once you cross Vine Street.

Edited to add that it was right across the street from Frisch's.
Maybe I was thinking of The Salty Dog, Was that there in the 60's?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The name is familiar, Wilson, but I either don't know or just can't remember. I bet goyguy would know.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Was the Salty Dog in that retail strip just to the south of the old Frisch's location? (I say "old" because that Frisch's branch was rebuilt, just to the north, in the late 1980's). That strip held a number of businesses, including the Big Melon, which moved near Igler's in the late 1960's and Schwallie Pharmacy, which moved to the Compton Medical Arts building in the mid-1960's.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Was the Salty Dog in that retail strip just to the south of the old Frisch's location? (I say "old" because that Frisch's branch was rebuilt, just to the north, in the late 1980's). That strip held a number of businesses, including the Big Melon, which moved near Igler's in the late 1960's and Schwallie Pharmacy, which moved to the Compton Medical Arts building in the mid-1960's.
I know there was a bar there but I don't think the name was Salty Dog. Don't know why I think that, it just don't seem like that was the name.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,865 times
They were Called "Sixty Second Shops " , and My Father Was Night Manager of 28 of Them , I Believe ! . ..The Central Parkway location at John and Central Parkway was the Home Office and Commissary Location . . .A building That Later Became the Soho Underground , .. Later in Seventies .. ... .Around 67 or 68 ( not clear ,here ) , Owners Mr. Farmer and Mr. McCracken Decided to RETIRE and SELL them off . The 6th and Main Frisch's was a Sixty ( prime Location. . 2-3 yrs. old when sold .) There were Sixty'sa in North College Hill at Hamilton at Goodman ( my Father , James Baker's , FIRST restaurant Job ) , Peebles' Corner , Hartwell on Vine St., Mt. Washington , Downtown on Fifth ( my First Restaurant Job ) across from old Greyhound Station , and a Chain of Others which come to mind , but I can't Locate mentally right Off ! . . . . .Haven't thought of them in Years!

Ohh ! And I forgot to Mentiuon for Memoribilia Buffs , The Burger was the " Big Sixty " , . .. And The Icon was Not the Brauny Lad , . .But a Guy real Similar Looking, With a clock displayed in his Chest ! A Supr Hero looking Figure with a " sixty Second" clock displayed in the Chest Area ! . ....Would be on Old Cups and Menues ., . . . .If they have SURVIVED ! . .. Thanx ! . . . . J.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2011 at 04:37 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 12:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Another similar restaurant was Ray Baylor's (or some similar spelling) Big Momma on Reading Rd. near Galbraith. The timing had to be in the late 50s, early 60s. It was definitely a Frisch's (or maybe a Sixty Second Shop) clone. I believe it has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. My younger uncle's wife was a shirttailed relative of the owner, and he worked for him for a while. We would drive over to Reading to check it out. As I remember it was OK but did not hold a candle to Frisch's Mainliner in Fairlax where everybody we knew went to hang out.

I remember back then when cruising Frisch's parking lot on Friday night after the HS football game was the In Thing to do. If you were not seen at Frisch's, you were invisible.

No matter what came later in the form of McDonalds, etc., they just never equalled the teenage hangout Frisch's was in their prime.

Yea, reminds me of the Frankie and Annette beach movies, something else we will not see the equal of again.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,823 times
Default On drive-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No matter what came later in the form of McDonalds, etc., they just never equalled the teenage hangout Frisch's was in their prime.

Yea, reminds me of the Frankie and Annette beach movies, something else we will not see the equal of again.
On that note, don't forget the Parkmoor Drive-In, at the corner of Reading and Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati