Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 07:20 PM

65 posts, read 44,042 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are there are too many mattress stores in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 09:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,160,474 times
I think it's national. There was another thread on this recently, not sure which category.

I'm in an out of the way rural area, and the nearest bigger city (50K population) has an inordinate amount of mattress stores - I call it Mattress Alley. Is there really that much of a market for mattresses? Something most people might buy once every 5-10 years or so. They always have sign spinners or garish signage advertising a "clearance blowout" or other BS.

I'm suspicious as well.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:32 AM

3,958 posts, read 6,889,499 times
A buddy and I always said they were just a money laundering front for some crime families or something.

You aren't alone in wondering how there could be that much demand. I will note that their margins are extremely high. Mattress firm's profit margin is around 60%.

I do wonder if the out of a box mattress options are going to start revolutionizing the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if mattress stores start closing like crazy once the boomer generation ages. We have an out of the box mattress and it's wonderful, at probably half the cost of one from a store.

Old 05-18-2024, 01:58 PM

62 posts, read 38,257 times
Back in the day, one of the top money laundering stores were......wait for it.........the dry cleaners! The mob owned or controlled many storefronts and a few large processing facilities around town.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,160,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs54321 View Post
Back in the day, one of the top money laundering stores were......wait for it.........the dry cleaners! The mob owned or controlled many storefronts and a few large processing facilities around town.
Breaking Bad?

I always thought it was flower shops. The old stakeout where undercovers witness a bunch of people going in but never coming out with flowers. Mattress stores must be the new dry cleaner/flower shop.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

159 posts, read 104,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rialtoma View Post
Is it just me or are there are too many mattress stores in Chicago?
Mattress stores, Dentists, money transfer/ currency exchange stores, and Dunkin's. Way too f**ing many of all of those in Chicago, it's actually absurd. I'm highly curious as to why that is... there is not this same level of prominence in say, NYC or LA. It's absolutely bizarre.

Chicago needs more corner store/bodega type places and less of the above places.

Old Today, 04:38 PM

159 posts, read 104,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I think it's national. There was another thread on this recently, not sure which category.

I'm in an out of the way rural area, and the nearest bigger city (50K population) has an inordinate amount of mattress stores - I call it Mattress Alley. Is there really that much of a market for mattresses? Something most people might buy once every 5-10 years or so. They always have sign spinners or garish signage advertising a "clearance blowout" or other BS.

I'm suspicious as well.
Every time I've ever been to one it's always completely empty; one worker just sitting there. I suppose they don't constantly need people going in and buying mattresses that often since each purchase is in the hundreds to thousands of dollars... but it's still odd. They also seem to rebrand a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago