Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Interesting history. What did this Frances Cabrini do wrong to have a public housing project named after her?

Why did the 'notorious era' come with the high rises in the early 60s?

How did the (forced) relocation of Cabrini Green residents to other neighborhoods affect those neighborhoods after the high rises got demolished?
Why oh why oh why ... do you keep inferring negatives where intent is dubious? You also can search online anything and anyone today ....

Mother Cabrini, was an Italian-American religious sister (Canonized saint), who founded the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a Catholic religious institute that was a major support to the Italian immigrants to the United States. She was the first naturalized citizen of the United States to be canonized by the Roman Catholic Church, on July 7, 1946.

In Chicago, the sisters opened Columbus Extension Hospital (later renamed Saint Cabrini Hospital) in the heart of the city’s Italian neighborhood on the Near West Side. Both hospitals eventually closed near the end of the 20th century. Their foundress’ name lives on in Chicago's Cabrini Street.

Cabrini organized catechism and education classes for the Italian immigrants and provided for the needs of the many orphans. She established schools and orphanages despite tremendous odds.

She founded 67 institutions: in New York; Chicago; Des Plaines, Illinois; Seattle; New Orleans; Denver; Golden, Colorado; Los Angeles; Philadelphia; and in countries throughout South America and Europe.

Cabrini was beatified on November 13, 1938, by Pope Pius XI, and canonized on July 7, 1946, by Pope Pius XII. Her beatification miracle involved the restoration of sight and healing the disfigurements of a one day old baby who had been blinded by a 50% silver nitrate solution instead of the normal 1% solution in the child's eyes. The child named Peter Smith would later be present at her canonization and became a priest. Her canonization miracle involved the healing of a terminally ill member of her congregation. When she was canonized, 120,000 people from all over the area filled Soldier Field for a Mass of thanksgiving.

*** The answer you could easily look up, used info I gave previously gave......to see why a Italian Naturalized US citizen? As a Nun, who did so much for not just Italian Immigrants in the US .... but poor in general to be Canonized by the Vatican a Saint and a Housing Project to help the poor be named in her honor. In a once poor Italian immigrant neighborhood still in 1942 when its first buildings was built.

*** Chicago's Cabrini–Green housing project, was named after her, due to her work with Italian immigrants in that very location, being a poor Italian immigrants neighborhood at one time.

All is in Wikipedia as a easy source .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Xavier_Cabrini

As for where you infer residence were forcibly moved from..... and then moved too? You can search on-line too. The high-rise Projects in especially Chicago were a failure. Why they were removed.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-05-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
I had read up on Frances Cabrini in the meantime and she truly was a saint indeed. In retrospect, it seems rather offensive to use her good name for this public housing project. Who named the projects after her? 'Capone Green' would have been a better fit.

Anyway, the original question still remains unanswered. Where exactly did the Cabrini Green residents move to and how did the neighborhoods where they moved to respond to their arrival? It seems unlikely former Cabrini Green residents would suddenly turn into hard working, law abiding citizens just by moving away. There must have been problems of some kind in the neighborhoods they moved to. Perhaps the Cabrini Green spirit still being alive in the south and west explain the issues those areas are facing today.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
I had read up on Frances Cabrini in the meantime and she truly was a saint indeed. In retrospect, it seems rather offensive to use her good name for this public housing project. Who named the projects after her? 'Capone Green' would have been a better fit.

Anyway, the original question still remains unanswered. Where exactly did the Cabrini Green residents move to and how did the neighborhoods where they moved to respond to their arrival? It seems unlikely former Cabrini Green residents would suddenly turn into hard working, law abiding citizens just by moving away. There must have been problems of some kind in the neighborhoods they moved to. Perhaps the Cabrini Green spirit still being alive in the south and west explain the issues those areas are facing today.
Why are you not getting why this housing project, as first Row-homes built in 1942.... was named for a Roman Catholic Italian Immigrant who worked among poor Italian immigrants in that very same neighborhood, as already a Canonized Roman Catholic Saint? Her life was for the better lives of poor immigrants she worked for. So was the intent of these first housing projects.

The failure it would grow into... especially once high-rise buildings were added by the 1960s and becoming ghettos themselves. Was NOT KNOWN IN 1942. It was with the INTENT and respect to the memory of this women's lifetime work on behalf of the poor. It was named to honor.

If they knew in 1942 how the concept of the original housing for the betterment of the poor in that area ... would fail and pervert to In more failure then successes with the addition of high-rises in 1962? Why would they even have built it? The Name HONORED HER WORK with poor Italian immigrants in that very neighborhood. To INFER it should have had a Capone name then or change IS DUBIOUS in your intent..... not theirs. My post are done here.

You can search online for links to where these residents found relocation over a 20-year drug out process that was to be quick back in 1995. Over 20-years is far from forced..... though final residents did feel forced.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-06-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
Interestingly all of the row houses in Cabrini Green have been boarded up too and the streets they are in have been closed: link. I wonder if the area will keep its name 'Cabrini Green' or get a new name now all the Cabrini Green buildings will be gone soon. Its legacy(or infamy) will probably live on forever though.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Interestingly all of the row houses in Cabrini Green have been boarded up too and the streets they are in have been closed: link. I wonder if the area will keep its name 'Cabrini Green' or get a new name now all the Cabrini Green buildings will be gone soon. Its legacy(or infamy) will probably live on forever though.
I think referring to the area as Cabrini Green is rare today. I hope we don't forget what it was though, so we don't repeat it.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
The westernmost two rows of Cabrini Green rowhouse buildings still remain, and will remain for the time being, from what I know. They're a small subset of the original rowhouses, though. I looked at the Google Maps link, and found them to be quite presentable. Sidewalks looked clean, landscaping looked intact, and there was no graffiti on the walls.

If some non-polluting industry could move into the nearby vacant lots, for residents to work at, this could be a fairly respectable public housing complex. But it's wishful thinking, for the most part. Not to mention, gentrification condo residents wouldn't stand for "industry" moving into their neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
I believe the south suburbs took on a lot of those residents. Heard for many years that south suburban mayors received kickbacks to take in former residents of Cabrini Green.

Many south suburbs have also experienced severe decline in the past 15-20 years. Park Forest, Matteson, Richton Park, etc. The ones closer to the city such as Dolton, Harvey, Robbins have seemed to decline as well though seemingly not as significantly as the ones further south near Will County.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I believe the south suburbs took on a lot of those residents. Heard for many years that south suburban mayors received kickbacks to take in former residents of Cabrini Green.

Many south suburbs have also experienced severe decline in the past 15-20 years. Park Forest, Matteson, Richton Park, etc. The ones closer to the city such as Dolton, Harvey, Robbins have seemed to decline as well though seemingly not as significantly as the ones further south near Will County.
I heard similar things, although in the version I heard, former residents moved to south suburbs on their own accord. Also, Dolton, Harvey, and Robbins have been bad for decades, not just in the last 20 years. Especially Harvey, due to the corruption at the government level.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I heard similar things, although in the version I heard, former residents moved to south suburbs on their own accord. Also, Dolton, Harvey, and Robbins have been bad for decades, not just in the last 20 years. Especially Harvey, due to the corruption at the government level.
I think a sizable portion left the state entirely as well.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
How many were relocated to the new development?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago