Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,776 times

Advertisements

Same problem I have. I have a roter antenna on my roof and live within the city limits of Charlotte. I can receive over 60 channels including many from out of town. I have the antenna aimed in the direction where channel 9 comes in the strongest but it still breaks up 80% of the time. Could they have a weaker signal? Are they still utilizing VHF Instead of utilizing UHF?

Thanks.

Allan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktalk View Post
Same problem I have. I have a roter antenna on my roof and live within the city limits of Charlotte. I can receive over 60 channels including many from out of town. I have the antenna aimed in the direction where channel 9 comes in the strongest but it still breaks up 80% of the time. Could they have a weaker signal? Are they still utilizing VHF Instead of utilizing UHF?

Thanks.

Allan
WSOC-TV is a full power station and they have a very strong signal in most of Mecklenburg County. They broadcast from the Newell area in north Charlotte near WCCB. The other channels broadcast from Gaston County west of Charlotte near Dallas, including WBTV.

Perhaps you are receiving an extremely strong signal and may be overloading the tuner causing dropouts on WSOC. You may need to an an inline attenuator to reduce the signal strength. Or just add a splitter in the line and see if that helps. But it can be a balancing act as you don't want to weaken the other channels too much. And if you are using an amplifier that may also be overpowering the signal. A distribution amp down the line may be a better choice than an outside preamp in a strong signal area.

Also perhaps add an FM trap as strong radio signals may also cause interference. They used to be sold at Radioshack if any remain. Otherwise order online from Antennas Direct.

And be sure you have the proper UHF antenna. WSOC broadcasts on channel 34. And you may try to pull in their Crowder's Mtn. translator on channel 30. They will both appear as 9.1 . But beginning in 2019 WSOC-TV will move to channel 19 as directed by the FCC reassignment.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WSOC-TV is a full power station and they have a very strong signal in most of Mecklenburg County. They broadcast from the Newell area in north Charlotte near WCCB. The other channels broadcast from Gaston County west of Charlotte near Dallas, including WBTV.

Perhaps you are receiving an extremely strong signal and may be overloading the tuner causing dropouts on WSOC. You may need to an an inline attenuator to reduce the signal strength. Or just add a splitter in the line and see if that helps. But it can be a balancing act as you don't want to weaken the other channels too much. And if you are using an amplifier that may also be overpowering the signal. A distribution amp down the line may be a better choice than an outside preamp in a strong signal area.

Also perhaps add an FM trap as strong radio signals may also cause interference. They used to be sold at Radioshack if any remain. Otherwise order online from Antennas Direct.

And be sure you have the proper UHF antenna. WSOC broadcasts on channel 34. And you may try to pull in their Crowder's Mtn. translator on channel 30. They will both appear as 9.1 . But beginning in 2019 WSOC-TV will move to channel 19 as directed by the FCC reassignment.
The Crowders Mountain translator is down, yet again. Maybe that's his problem. Maybe he's been picking up the Crowders Mountain signal.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Crowders Mountain translator is down, yet again. Maybe that's his problem. Maybe he's been picking up the Crowders Mountain signal.
The Crowders Mountain translator is broadcasting this afternoon. Perhaps you are experiencing localized interference, or may be using a deficient indoor antenna. And amplified antennas may cause more interference rather than reception. Especially with a weak translator signal being overpowered by full power signals in nearby Dallas.

Unlike analog, indoor antennas may be inadequate for digital TV reception. I suggest a Terk HDTVa or LOGTVa, as it may now be called. Good antenna design, and includes an amplifier which may be turned on or off as needed. Or a Clearstream 2V from Walmart which may be used indoors. You can try the thin panel Mohu Leaf, but they don't always work depending upon location.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM

I also highly recommend a Roku or Amazon Fire streaming box for WSOC-TV. I am just beyond the reliable reception range, and I watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News on these streaming devices. They have a very good direct app for live news streaming and it repeats all day. And good video quality. And some Samsung Smart TVs have the WSOC-TV app available as well, but not the newer ones this year. Must be F, H, or J series.

And WBTV also now has a live streaming app on the Roku, but I already get a strong signal from WBTV with an antenna here in Greenville, SC.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The Crowders Mountain translator is broadcasting this afternoon. Perhaps you are experiencing localized interference, or may be using a deficient indoor antenna. And amplified antennas may cause more interference rather than reception. Especially with a weak translator signal being overpowered by full power signals in nearby Dallas.

Unlike analog, indoor antennas may be inadequate for digital TV reception. I suggest a Terk HDTVa or LOGTVa, as it may now be called. Good antenna design, and includes an amplifier which may be turned on or off as needed. Or a Clearstream 2V from Walmart which may be used indoors. You can try the thin panel Mohu Leaf, but they don't always work depending upon location.
The Crowders Mountain translator was reliable up until this year. There have been several outages. I'll check this evening to see if it's back. When it goes out, I also lose 64.5. When I lose 64.5, I, miraculously, get 64.1, 64.2, & 64.3. It's like they jack up the power, but reception is sketchy. I doubt that they're getting it in Shelby.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
The Crowders Mountain translator was reliable up until this year. There have been several outages. I'll check this evening to see if it's back. When it goes out, I also lose 64.5. When I lose 64.5, I, miraculously, get 64.1, 64.2, & 64.3. It's like they jack up the power, but reception is sketchy. I doubt that they're getting it in Shelby.
It's back.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 PM

I would like to see WSOC move their full power signal to Gaston County near Dallas like the other TV stations. A much taller tower would give them a much wider coverage area. Currently they are weaker to the west of Charlotte, and their tower in Meckenburg County is not allowed to be as tall. They could eliminate most of their translators, and perhaps only need one bordering Union and Anson counties in NC to the east, or some where near Chesterfield County in SC.

But because with the FCC repack, their Crowders Mountain translator may not be allowed to continue, or it will definitely have to find another channel as their current 30 will used as a full power signal for WYFF-4 in Greenville, SC. So WSOC will certainly have to find another means of reaching west of Gastonia and Shelby when the channel reassignments occur in 2019.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I would like to see WSOC move their full power signal to Gaston County near Dallas like the other TV stations. A much taller tower would give them a much wider coverage area. Currently they are weaker to the west of Charlotte, and their tower in Meckenburg County is not allowed to be as tall. They could eliminate most of their translators, and perhaps only need one bordering Union and Anson counties in NC to the east, or some where near Chesterfield County in SC.

But because with the FCC repack, their Crowders Mountain translator may not be allowed to continue, or it will definitely have to find another channel as their current 30 will used as a full power signal for WYFF-4 in Greenville, SC. So WSOC will certainly have to find another means of reaching west of Gastonia and Shelby when the channel reassignments occur in 2019.
Given normal weather, I get the main signal just fine. Under certain weather conditions, I need the Crowders Mountain signal.

They seem to have had problems the last several months.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Given normal weather, I get the main signal just fine. Under certain weather conditions, I need the Crowders Mountain signal.

They seem to have had problems the last several months.
Well the main Channel 9 signal does not make it past Spartanburg, except sometimes at night. So I cannot reliably receive WSOC in Greenville County, unlike the other Charlotte stations such as WBTV, WJZY, and WCNC which come in strong from the Dallas towers. And I know Greenville is not part of the Charlotte market, but ABC reception remains problematic as 13-WLOS from Asheville can be challenging to receive also. So it would just be nice if WSOC transmitted from the same location as the other stations from Dallas. Those stations chose that site to have a taller tower, which the FCC and the FAA would not allow in Mecklenburg County. The taller tower results in a wider coverage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte