Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 PM

530 posts, read 589,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The actual hardscape and center construction is little more than a single summer from start to finish so extending this out to 24 months when there is only at most 6 months of actual constructions hints at something other than the building process. I really think the only other issue might the permitting process but usually that is all dealt with before we even get to this stage.
Look no further than Barboursville and the Tanyard Station development to see all the issues with permitting and how long it takes for these projects to even break ground. Tanyard Station was announced in early summer 2015 and still hasn't officially broken ground (or officially announced a single tenant) so we are now two years and counting. It has been very frustrating and this developer (Interstate Realty) does not like to give any updates; I actually think they have done a much better job updating the Little Creek Village development compared to the development in Barboursville and those in Morgantown so consider yourselves lucky in that regard. Heck, we still do not even know if the traffic study has been approved for Tanyard Station. Bottom line, opening of Little Creek Village even in 2019 may be a fantasy, as painful as it is to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:42 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Pulitzer Prize-winning West Virginia news | Developer cancels plans for Corridor G shopping center

This sucks!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM

456 posts, read 602,265 times
there seem to be a few spaces left in Southridge and wonder why they wouldn't try to finish developing it first.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I was never a big fan of the location for this proposed shopping center. It just didn't seem right from the initial discussions.

The Gander Mountain building could be a good spot for redevelopment. The space could be divided up to house a couple of tenants.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
This sucks but it is no surprise. We are probably decades away from any significant development of retail or any other nature. Population loss, job loss income loss and no room to grow for business or housing are all huge negatives for Charleston. Charleston does not have a plan for growth which even Huntington has and we don't have dynamic leadership which in times of crisis you really need to have to help make it through. I do understand that one tenant may be looking to move to the Gander Mountain location. But that retailer is not in the best financial standing either. My only hope is the mayor from SC who seems to be the only politician in the valley that wants to make something happen. As for the rest of the Kanawha Valley these folks are pretty much awol in a time when the need for some vision and leadership is most crucial.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Default Little Creek Project Scrapped

Given retail's struggles nationwide, is this development surprising? What effect will this have on the future of the CTC?

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Pulitzer Prize-winning West Virginia news | Developer cancels plans for Corridor G shopping center

Old 09-27-2017, 08:40 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
Macy's contract goes through 2019. If they don't come up with a plan to make the mall more inviting and shoppable by then I'd say it's done. Personally my visits there are rare and the last two were slightly uncomfortable. Hopefully if it closes some of the retail will pop up somewhere else far from the bus station and downtown. This most likely will be outside of city limits which is bad for Charleston but I'm not sure the folks running the city or the mall seem to care. There's certainly no sense of urgency to try do anything about saving it. Charleston has changed so much along with the changes to the retail climate I'm starting to believe it's a forgone conclusion that the mall isn't viable much longer and the powers that are in control have accepted this.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
there seem to be a few spaces left in Southridge and wonder why they wouldn't try to finish developing it first.
There is still plenty of space for development at Southridge. The thing that I find interesting is that this proposed project had tenants lined out. If those companies still wanted to establish a location here in the KV, they certainly could do that at the CTC, Southridge Center, Dudley Farms Plaza (only a couple spaces open), Trace Fork, Shops at Kanawha, etc...

Old 09-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Plans for shopping plaza canceled

According to this, Interstate Reality is looking to build somewhere else with the same tenants. My guess is that Mayor Mullins will try to get them off 64 across from Riveralk Plaza.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Plans for shopping plaza canceled

According to this, Interstate Reality is looking to build somewhere else with the same tenants. My guess is that Mayor Mullins will try to get them off 64 across from Riveralk Plaza.
The space beside the Ordinance Center where the FMC Peroxide plant was is a likely site for this to be tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston