Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 05:15 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,936,478 times

Advertisements

Is that too mean? Underhanded?

My mom lost her dog a few months ago after a long illness. She has been adamant that she wants another dog. SHe is 87 and is fairly disabled...can't walk well and uses her walker often for fear of falling, not because she really needs it to walk. She lives in a cottage in a continuing care community that is very nice

I am two hours away from her, my brother is about an hour away, and my other brother is 5 hours away and can't be bothered to help so we don't really count him in the equation.

In the fall, my brother conference called us and said he wanted to start utilizing some of the services that the continuing care community provides for mom. He is not working full time and has been doing much of mom's care, her paperwork, financials, doctors visits, etc, so he sees her frequently. My older brother and I did not think such a suggestion would go over very well with mom, which really ticked my brother off because he interpreted it as meaning we didn't think she needed extra help. My POV is that mom has authority issues and getting the continuing care facility people involved would make her feel like she was sent to the principal's office

Now I have found a suitable dog for mom. A small couch potato adult dog who doesn't like to go for walks and basically just wants to cuddle. My brother is adamant that she should not have this dog because her activities of daily living are so shaky. She isn't cleaning, she is easily confused, she shouldn't be driving, she has trouble getting her prescriptions refilled.

I think we should Tell mom that if she wants the dog, she needs to pursue a home health aide 2-3 times per week. Would that be out of line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 08:35 PM

3,137 posts, read 5,087,403 times
Yes, you are making more work for everyone. Your mom isn't capable of caring for a dog. The dog will end up homeless again very shortly. A very bad idea.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:18 PM

697 posts, read 709,120 times
No dog, please. I’m in an “active adult” community, where we are independent and each own our house or townhouse. One older/elderly neighbor was devastated after losing her dog to a coyote. She doesn’t use a walker, but isn’t all that steady on her feet, so she wouldn’t use a leash and just let the little dog out into the yard.

She now has a new dog that she can’t take care of. It just messes all over the house, and she has problems cleaning up after it.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:29 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,980,420 times
She's not cleaning and she's easily confused. You don't need to be adding some poor dog to the mix. Your brother that spends the most time taking care of her needs doesn't need a dog to deal with as well.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 AM

1,007 posts, read 582,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

My mom lost her dog a few months ago after a long illness. She has been adamant that she wants another dog. SHe is 87 and is fairly disabled...can't walk well and uses her walker often for fear of falling, not because she really needs it to walk. She lives in a cottage in a continuing care community that is very nice

I am two hours away from her, my brother is about an hour away, and my other brother is 5 hours away and can't be bothered to help so we don't really count him in the equation.

In the fall, my brother conference called us and said he wanted to start utilizing some of the services that the continuing care community provides for mom. He is not working full time and has been doing much of mom's care, her paperwork, financials, doctors visits, etc, so he sees her frequently. My older brother and I did not think such a suggestion would go over very well with mom, which really ticked my brother off because he interpreted it as meaning we didn't think she needed extra help. My POV is that mom has authority issues and getting the continuing care facility people involved would make her feel like she was sent to the principal's office

Now I have found a suitable dog for mom. A small couch potato adult dog who doesn't like to go for walks and basically just wants to cuddle. My brother is adamant that she should not have this dog because her activities of daily living are so shaky. She isn't cleaning, she is easily confused, she shouldn't be driving, she has trouble getting her prescriptions refilled.

I think we should Tell mom that if she wants the dog, she needs to pursue a home health aide 2-3 times per week. Would that be out of line?
Your mother does not need another dog. Your brother is right, she needs more care whether she wants it or not. My aunt complains to me all the time but she needs people to come take care of her when I can't and I tell her that. Do Not Get your mother another dog. It is something that needs care as well and who will care for it if your mother is unable?

Old 04-22-2024, 09:15 AM

24,816 posts, read 11,233,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Do you really think this is a good idea?

Old 04-22-2024, 09:24 AM

3,104 posts, read 1,574,578 times
Call up the people that run the place where your mother lives and ask if they have or know someone who owns service dogs. The owner could bring the dog to visit your mother 2 or 3 times a week. Thats what they are trained for. Even your mothers local senior center, fire dep, even police dep in some places employ service dogs. Your mother could still get to pet and cuddle another living thing which is very benefical to her mental health.
It amazes people how many people have no clue about the benefits to mental health, even phy health that pets give.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:10 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,211,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Call up the people that run the place where your mother lives and ask if they have or know someone who owns service dogs. The owner could bring the dog to visit your mother 2 or 3 times a week. Thats what they are trained for. Even your mothers local senior center, fire dep, even police dep in some places employ service dogs. Your mother could still get to pet and cuddle another living thing which is very benefical to her mental health.
It amazes people how many people have no clue about the benefits to mental health, even phy health that pets give.
Are you talking about a "therapy" dog? Service dogs are not trained to visit people; they are trained to alert to medical conditions their owner has, or to provide assistance for functionality the owner does not have.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:35 PM

3,104 posts, read 1,574,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Are you talking about a "therapy" dog? Service dogs are not trained to visit people; they are trained to alert to medical conditions their owner has, or to provide assistance for functionality the owner does not have.
Ive heard them called "service" dogs, also I have heard " therapy" dogs though the ones I know are more trained for different conditions than service dogs or what would be necessary in this case. Does it really matter which kind of trained dog? Trained is the important word. Or maybe a neighbor with a nice dog to visit the posters mother.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:35 PM

131,213 posts, read 12,275,182 times
If your mother cannot look after herself, she probably can't look after a dog either. I agree with the suggestion that she request therapy dogs. I had a pal in a ltc facility & her favorite visitor was the dog who came in once a week. Plus she could die before the dog & then what are you going to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving