Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 04:30 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times

Advertisements

My car insurance company is supposedly now owned by a different higher up company,
which raised my yearly rate from $371 to $720 a year, almost a 100% increase, which starts this coming week.

I'm 77, have a good driving record, drove only 327 miles this past year, and haven't made any claims.
I currently have collision insurance, but not comprehensive. It seems to me that they're charging way too much.

My car is a Plug in Prius but was purchased used and was not expensive.
Thus I can afford to pay for any repairs, and my low mileage reduces the potential for damages.

Is it possible for me to get just liability and uninsured coverage and would that be enough for me?
If so, what coverage should I look for, and what companies are most likely to provide it for reasonable rates?

Last edited by jlvs2run; 12-17-2023 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 04:54 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
According to CA code, you must maintain a minimum amount of liability insurance:

"Here are the minimum liability insurance requirements (per California Insurance Code §11580.1b):

$15,000 for injury/death to one person.
$30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
$5,000 for damage to property."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...-requirements/

If you own your car outright, meaning it is not leased nor is collateral for a car loan, liability insurance is all you need.

If you do not own your car outright or there is a lien on the car, the lienholder may require additional insurance such as collision and/or comprehensive,.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:24 PM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
My car insurance company is supposedly now owned by a different higher up company,
which raised my yearly rate from $371 to $720 a year, almost a 100% increase, which starts this coming week.

I'm 77, have a good driving record, drove only 327 miles this past year, and haven't made any claims.
I currently have collision insurance, but not comprehensive. It seems to me that they're charging way too much.

Thus I can afford to pay for any repairs, and my low mileage reduces the potential for damages.

Is it possible for me to get just liability and uninsured coverage and would that be enough for me?
If so, what coverage should I look for, and what companies are most likely to provide it for reasonable rates?
Shop it around to see if you can get a better deal. I got lazy and just kept paying my insurance company for coverage. I decided to shop around and ended up paying 20% less for the same coverage.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:09 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
If you buy the state's minimum limits, then it's up to you whether to self-insure comprehensive and collision. How much would your car cost to replace. Remember, it could get stolen, burnt up in a fire, wrecked by an uninsured driver or even by you and you could be out many thousands of dollars

Quote:
Ain't no such thing. California is in the throes of a car insurance crisis.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carliforni...+crisis&ia=web

Shop around through independent agents and direct writers and see if you can do better.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:58 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Thank you to the people who've responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Shop around through independent agents and direct writers and see if you can do better.
So far the search engines haven't been helping. How can I find these direct writers and independent agents?

Old 12-17-2023, 10:23 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Search for the phrase independent insurance agent with the name of your city.

As for direct writers, they are called that but not listed that way.

Do a search for just auto insurance and you'll come up with the likes of State Farm, Farmers, Alstate, Amica, GEICO, Progressive, American Family, etc and there will also be independent agents listed in that category.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:48 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Driving as little as you do just taking Ubers might be more economical, depending where you live.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With whom do you have life and/or homeowner's or renter's insurance? If they also do auto, there could offer a multi-line discount. We have State Farm and get both multi-line (Auto, Home, and life) and also multi-car (3) discounts. When we compare no other companies come close for full coverage. Still, it's gone up the last couple of years due to the higher costs of crash parts and labor, and increasing rate of stolen cars.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Driving as little as you do just taking Ubers might be more economical, depending where you live.
Seriously, if you only drive 300 miles a year, as Malloric said, why maintain a license and a vehicle at all?

Old 12-19-2023, 03:46 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^ Because for many having their own car is about convenience -- which can be seen in different ways.

I personally think having my own car is way more convenient. But I put a high value on being able to come and go exactly when I want. Not waiting even ten minutes for a ride service. I could be half way (or more) to where I'm going in that time. And I'd have to arrange another ride to return, AND deal with making changes if I decided I'd like another stop.

But another poster on CD once said they prefer a ride service so they can get dropped off right at the door of a place, and not have to find parking. If that's his or her reasoning, all I can say is all-righty then.I don't want to wait. They don't want to park.

OP I hope you find the right insurance coverage at an acceptable price.
Keep us posted would love to hear what you end up going with.

I'm with Travelers, which is not known for being on the less expensive side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance