Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 03:21 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcare View Post
Cant believe any one could put some one through this degree of agony after successfully fighting through and making a full depressive recovery.
Getting second opinions is common. A professional PA shouldn't get pissed off about it. In fact, most would probably suggest a second opinion if you are so concerned and need more information to help you arrive at a decision. You have reason to be because of your diabetes.

As for putting someone through such "agony" I tend to believe in "better the devil you know instead of the devil you don't". You are now more aware than you were before and thus more likely to detect changes in that spot. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 03:35 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
???... I'm still not sure what the OP's point is-- It was NOT a mis-diagnosis. The thing turned out to be an actinic keratosis, which is NOT cancer....It has only a 10% chance of EVER turning into cancer, and at age 70, the OP won't live long enough to be harmed by a relatively benign skin cancer, should it ever transform....

..and it is true diabetics are at higher risk of infections and non-healing wounds of surgical wounds-- not from cancer. Given that the surgery didn't need to be done, it would have been a real shame if the pt died from an infected, nn-healing wound.

Now, if the OP wanted an ugly lesion removed for cosmetic reasons or because it was painful, always getting injured/bleeding etc, then the practitioner should have honored that request.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Getting second opinions is common. A professional PA shouldn't get pissed off about it. In fact, most would probably suggest a second opinion if you are so concerned and need more information to help you arrive at a decision. You have reason to be because of your diabetes.

As for putting someone through such "agony" I tend to believe in "better the devil you know instead of the devil you don't". You are now more aware than you were before and thus more likely to detect changes in that spot. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.
Thanks Parnassia, in using the word Agony I was disappointed by having several consecutive encounters. Doc's/ Clinicians gaslighting my concerns. Nothing to worry about go home take this call me in two in two weeks. In saying misdiagnosed it was in reference to the repeated gas lighting events

Old 04-03-2023, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,597 times
[quote=guidoLaMoto;65096455]???... ...It has only a 10% chance of EVER turning into cancer. I'm trying to eliminate being that 10% chance statistic.

Last edited by xpcare; 04-03-2023 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2023, 02:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
???... I'm still not sure what the OP's point is-- It was NOT a mis-diagnosis. The thing turned out to be an actinic keratosis, which is NOT cancer....It has only a 10% chance of EVER turning into cancer, and at age 70, the OP won't live long enough to be harmed by a relatively benign skin cancer, should it ever transform....
I had an actinic keratosis removed by freezing last year. It's starting to come back. Apparently recurrence is not uncommon.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:41 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Seems every time I go to the dermatologist, there is some kind of lesion that needs to come off. Some have been cancerous and some have been nothing. Seems it's always something though. That' why I call myself the queen of skin cancers.

Quote:
As Queen of Skin Cancers, we must assume you mean you have a lot of skin lesions, many of which have turned into cancer.

Watchful waiting is a legitimate policy for most skin lesions. They grow slowly, don't metastasize and most remain benign, so unless you want all sorts of scars that you didn't have to have, they are doing the right thing...

...of course the above does not apply to malignant melanoma, but those are usually fairly obvious and easily distinguished from the less serious forms- squamous cell & basal cell ca. Once you've been diagnosed with that, then they shouldn't be taking chances with any new or changing blemishes.

edited to answer the OP-- a lesion is not pre-cancerous unless it eventually turns into a cancer...If it doesn't change, then it wasn't pre-cancerous. A matter of proper semantics.

Sun damaged skin can show marks called actinic keratosis-- scaly, dry, raised, colored things. SOME of them may turn cancerous. Most do not. As I said above, those types of skin cancer grow so slowly and don't spread so there's no rush in treating them.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
OP, only you can be your best advocate. Stay the course and always trust your gut. I am sickened how we put doctors on a pedestal. The older I get, the fewer doctors I find that listen to me as a patient. If I were as as dismissive with my financial advice as they are with my concerns, I would be fired many times over. If only their skill matched their arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, a few are absolutely wonderful - hang onto those tight. I have found two such doctors and I worry what I will do if they retire.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:55 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcare View Post
Quote:
???... ...It has only a 10% chance of EVER turning into cancer.
I'm trying to eliminate being that 10% chance statistic.
Your chances of infection from a non-cancerous lesion being removed, is greater than your chances of the lesion turning into skin cancer.

You are already at risk of infection because of your diabetes. There was no misdiagnosis. A misdiagnosis means - they told you that you had something, that you didn't have. Or they told you that you didn't have something, that you did have.

You did not have cancer. They told you that it wasn't cancer. They diagnosed you correctly.

As a diabetic, you have a 25% risk of acquiring at least one non-healing wound during your life, and up to a 60% risk of that wound becoming infected. Once that happens, your risk of death due to that non-healing wound rises dramatically.

Do you want this significantly increased risk of death, in exchange for a 10% increased chance that your mole might become a non-lethal cancer? Squamous cell cancer is not deadly. That's what your keratosis has the 10% chance of becoming.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:40 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
I had a place on my nose that looked like a freckle. Our dermatologist does nothing but skin cancers, and he recognized it may be a melanoma. It was removed with an incision to the tip of my nose.

Later, I had another small place on the forearm that he spotted. It took a 3" incision to get rid of.

Now, I'm seeing the dermatologist every 3 months. He's always got his "freeze gun" in his hand and zaps anything he doesn't like the looks of.

Thankfully the doctor office visits are just about 5 minutes.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:44 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Your chances of infection from a non-cancerous lesion being removed, is greater than your chances of the lesion turning into skin cancer.
I don't know about that.

Actinic Keratosis:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ll%20carcinoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer