Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 11:40 AM

66 posts, read 72,082 times

Advertisements

I saw this https://ktla.com/news/local-news/cal...bill-proposal/ and SDGE' proposal at a fixed rate of $128/month for > 180k household income. I read AB205 and thought the fixed billing was only targeted at infrastructure costs? (Lower rates for other income brackets)

If this is approved what does this mean ? $128/month + usage charges?

How does this mix with net metering 2.0 ...seems like a bum deal if your are having to pay $128/month no matter what

Last edited by tt003e; 04-15-2023 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 11:46 AM

179 posts, read 203,140 times
Yes, they are going to hose everyone that isn't near poverty level wages. If you have solar and a battery, you can expect to spend more than $1,000 a year without using a single kilowatt.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:56 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,741,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt003e View Post
I saw this https://ktla.com/news/local-news/cal...bill-proposal/ and SDGE' proposal at a fixed rate of $128/month for > 180k household income. I read AB205 and thought the fixed billing was only targeted at infrastructure costs? (Lower rates for other income brackets)

How does this mix with net metering 2.0 ...seems like a bum deal if your are having to pay $128/month no matter what
Income based utility rates.

It's an end-run around net metering for solar customers.

I truly don't see how this proposal is legal as it meets the definition of a tax.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:54 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Saw this coming years ago.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:17 PM

89 posts, read 64,661 times
I wonder how they are going to handle people who don't have fixed incomes a year such as self employed people. Or people who may have had a good paying job last year and maybe got laid off and may have no money coming in but yet they are supposed to pay based on last year's salary?

Certainly looks like a tax to me but most employment based taxes are dynamic and adjust based on what you make on your payment cycle. i don't see how they are going to adjust for people situations on a month to month basis unless they plan to have that built in somehow with the state.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:29 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,189,911 times
So - the utility companies will now have the right to access your tax returns?

I assume the way this will be implemented will be along the lines of "prove to us your income is in a lower bracket, otherwise be charged the maximum amount".

Old 04-15-2023, 07:59 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,940,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt003e View Post

If customers pay a flat rate (in your example, $128.) then those that are close to the $128 threshold, have zero incentive to cut-back, or reduce usage at all.

In fact, I'd go get a couple electric cars and an electric motorcycle (or 2) and watch my meter spin feverishly.

Then I'm gonna run my washer half full and the dryer empty. Oh wait, that's water and gas...nevermind.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:00 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,720,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
60% reduction? The article states that the three utilities are proposing a reduction of 33% in utility rates. But it hints that customers would need to use less power to see the 33% rate reduction not more.
Yes, that's assuming that everyone continues their current usage patterns. My bill would go down by 33% as it stands. However, those numbers are disingenuous because they assume people are too dumb to realize they are going to pay only a little more for using 100kWh as for using 25kWh.

My cost per kWh is going to shift from $0.24 to $0.06, since the transmission and distribution charges will go to a flat income-based fee that is reasonably close (but slightly less) to what I currently pay based on my usage.

I'm not stupid. I see that I can blow out my usage from 25kWh to 50+ kWh at the cost of only $0.06 per kWh for additional usage. In terms of gas v EV, that means that it will only cost me $0.70 per "gallon" if I go all electric for transportation (currently $2.40 "per gallon" equivalent ). So, since the 60% of my bill that is transmission and distribution is now a flat fee, and the generation costs, which are only 30% of my bill are staying even, I'll just run a crapload of electrical loads to shift my costs based on the new fee structure.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:53 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,250,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If customers pay a flat rate (in your example, $128.) then those that are close to the $128 threshold, have zero incentive to cut-back, or reduce usage at all.

In fact, I'd go get a couple electric cars and an electric motorcycle (or 2) and watch my meter spin feverishly.

Then I'm gonna run my washer half full and the dryer empty. Oh wait, that's water and gas...nevermind.
The climate activists are coming for your gas appliances, San Diego City Council's Climate Action Plan calls for getting them....SDG&E will be renamed SDE since G is Bad.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:52 AM

3,120 posts, read 1,776,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Unless they also ding you for excessive usage. I'm sure it won't be this simple. It never is. They'll find a way to charge you for all that usage one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California