Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

I grew up near Bozeman and remember most of these. So sad how much it's changed.

https://bozemanrealestate.group/reso...-in-bozeman-if
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 11:10 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Wow. I lived there 1972-1984 and remember maybe half the list. When I came back in 2013, I didn't recognise the town, and was horrified to discover that Belgrade now has *gasp* stoplights.

I remember when... was it the Rialto or the Ellen?? was going to be demolished, but in the end was saved and renovated... what's happened to it since? when I was living over that way I only drove through downtown a few times, and was more concerned with not running into all the durn traffic than with what storefronts still remain from the Olden Times.

Maybe we should start a list... what used to be where, and when did it go away or get gutted and replaced?

The Range Hotel leaps to mind, tho I doubt it's much missed.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:19 AM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
Not in the list but i spent a lot of time in Little Johns bar in the early 90's. It was packed with REAL Montanans then. I hear it's closed now.....

Old 03-09-2020, 08:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
And what happened to the Orr House, up next to MSU?

Old 03-09-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Not in the list but i spent a lot of time in Little Johns bar in the early 90's. It was packed with REAL Montanans then. I hear it's closed now.....
Little John's became Mixers at some point when I was in college so more than 15 years ago. It was Bozeman's attempt at a club. Do you remember KO's? That was a fun smoke filled dive back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Wow. I lived there 1972-1984 and remember maybe half the list. When I came back in 2013, I didn't recognise the town, and was horrified to discover that Belgrade now has *gasp* stoplights.

I remember when... was it the Rialto or the Ellen?? was going to be demolished, but in the end was saved and renovated... what's happened to it since? when I was living over that way I only drove through downtown a few times, and was more concerned with not running into all the durn traffic than with what storefronts still remain from the Olden Times.

Maybe we should start a list... what used to be where, and when did it go away or get gutted and replaced?

The Range Hotel leaps to mind, tho I doubt it's much missed.
I don't think the Rialto or Ellen are open anymore. When I lived in Bozeman from 2000-2005 the Rialto showed independent films. The Ellen got Revenge of the Sith and it was fun. The owner dressed in a tuxedo and greeted everyone at the door and personally thanked them on stage before the curtain opened.

Belgrade's growth has been obscene.

One of my favorite stores downtown was the Powder Horn. I don't know if it's still there. I remember always hearing commercials for Rising Sun Leather and Shoes. I'm not sure what Caravan sold but my aunt liked that store.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:51 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I've only been to Bozeman three times over 30 years. I remember my first time ('80s) it seemed like a real "Cowboy" town more than anything. My last time came in 2011 and it had hardly a hint of that left. Much more upscale, touristy and affluent.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:31 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
I don't remember the store with the escalator being called Sylvesters. I thought it was Chambers Fisher. Also, the ballet recitals at the Ellen and going there to watch "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" Last movie I saw at the drive in was "Willow"

Old 03-10-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I don't remember the store with the escalator being called Sylvesters. I thought it was Chambers Fisher. Also, the ballet recitals at the Ellen and going there to watch "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" Last movie I saw at the drive in was "Willow"
It was Sylvester's for quite a few years.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:00 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Chambers-Fisher was the place to shop in Bozeman. Googled it -- closed in 1988.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Little John's became Mixers at some point when I was in college so more than 15 years ago. It was Bozeman's attempt at a club. Do you remember KO's? That was a fun smoke filled dive back in the day.

I don't think the Rialto or Ellen are open anymore. When I lived in Bozeman from 2000-2005 the Rialto showed independent films. The Ellen got Revenge of the Sith and it was fun. The owner dressed in a tuxedo and greeted everyone at the door and personally thanked them on stage before the curtain opened.

Belgrade's growth has been obscene.

One of my favorite stores downtown was the Powder Horn. I don't know if it's still there. I remember always hearing commercials for Rising Sun Leather and Shoes. I'm not sure what Caravan sold but my aunt liked that store.
Schnees bought the Powder Horn & it's inside their new store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: