Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 06:34 AM

928 posts, read 849,181 times

Advertisements

Houston.... I mean Birmingham, we have a problem! We all know UAB is the states largest single employer, and that it's growing like kudzu. But, now, after building tons of downtown student dorms and apartments, the fast growing university can't keep up with the even faster growing number of students that want to be downtown! Awesome news for downtown Birmingham! I've watched UAB buildd new dorms in the past few years, and some private companies that have built developments like The Marshall for students to live downtown. Still......it seems that UAB can't keep up with the fast growing number of students choosing to live downtown Birmingham! Again, Awesome for the city center! You know what I say.....let's get to work UAB building more student housing downtown!

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/stude...acity/44667612

https://abc3340.com/newsletter-daily...tments-demand#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 08:13 AM

460 posts, read 341,905 times
It's a problem, but a good one. UAB enrollment keeps growing and more and more students want to be on campus. The transformation of UAB into a more traditional campus while still being in a city has been incredible and will only continue.

Also, a much larger population of students (than the historical norm) that don't live on campus are doing so in campus adjacent apartments rather than living at home. Those students are still walking/biking to campus from the Parkside & Midtown area.

As for the dorms, I know the campus master plan has another dorm planned for some of the open space between Rast Hall and 10th Ave S. It would be much smaller than the two newest dorms - in the 150-200 bed range.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:57 AM

There's going to be another construction crane going up in Downtown Birmingham shortly as UAB breaks ground on another major facility! There's gotta be hundreds of millions of dollars worth of development going on at UAB at any given time!

https://www.uab.edu/news/campus/item...of-engineering

Old 08-02-2023, 11:22 PM

This is huge for UAB and the City of Birmingham!

https://www.al.com/news/2023/08/who-...ace-fauci.html

Old 08-03-2023, 08:08 AM

1,027 posts, read 651,574 times
Is this all because of Watts' leadership? Seems like the school has increased its growth exponentially and started so many new projects over the last few years.

Old 08-03-2023, 10:29 AM

460 posts, read 341,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Is this all because of Watts' leadership? Seems like the school has increased its growth exponentially and started so many new projects over the last few years.
More like a couple key members on the BOT that were anti-UAB aged off the board. The BOT is as friendly towards UAB as probably they've ever been so more projects are getting through. The BOT as a whole has moved from antagonistic to ambivalent. Next step is to move them to advocates.

Watts gets some credit, but he's largely just a figure head of a massive enterprise that has had some of the handcuffs taken off. In some ways (mainly on the undergrad side) UAB could be doing more in terms of student recruitment to really grow enrollment, improving the undergrad educational metrics to match the med school/research side, investing in student life, and pursuing AAU status. I believe UAB is 1st or 2nd in research funding among non-AAU schools and outpaces many of them in total research funding.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 651,574 times
Awesome, that's just the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:37 PM

10,506 posts, read 7,080,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
More like a couple key members on the BOT that were anti-UAB aged off the board. The BOT is as friendly towards UAB as probably they've ever been so more projects are getting through. The BOT as a whole has moved from antagonistic to ambivalent. Next step is to move them to advocates.

Watts gets some credit, but he's largely just a figure head of a massive enterprise that has had some of the handcuffs taken off. In some ways (mainly on the undergrad side) UAB could be doing more in terms of student recruitment to really grow enrollment, improving the undergrad educational metrics to match the med school/research side, investing in student life, and pursuing AAU status. I believe UAB is 1st or 2nd in research funding among non-AAU schools and outpaces many of them in total research funding.

That and the BOT realized that UAB is the third rail of Birmingham politics.

I don't care if you're black, white, urban, suburban, blue collar, white collar, straight, gay, Republican, Democrat, liberal, or conservative. If you live in the Birmingham metro area, you take a dim view of people screwing with UAB.

In a way, when the Alabama BOT nixed UAB football, it united Birmingham in ways that no amount of internal politics could have. I'm pretty sure they don't want that firestorm again.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:42 PM

You know you are dealing with an economic powerhouse when an institution in your city can swallow up a 19 story office tower! UAB continues to be a major blessing to downtown Birmingham Alabama!

https://bhamnow.com/2023/09/05/uab-t...ngham-for-16m/

Old 09-06-2023, 09:12 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,250,721 times
$16 million seems absurdly low for a 19-story office tower. I know it's dated, but is it in bad shape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area