Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 6,516 times

Advertisements

Help, my baby budgie has injured its leg. She can still use it to scratch her head and stretch her wing so I don't think it is broken but she won't bear weight on it. Is this something that will heal with time on its own? There are no Avian vets in my area the ones who treated birds stopped due to Covid. I examined it and do not see/feel any obvious breaks. She does rest it on the perch for balance. I feel so bad that she may be in pain but I don't know what else to do for her. I lowered all perches to the bottom of the cage and put some cushion on the bottom so if she falls off perch she is cushioned. Do you know how long I should expect for her to recover? She still eats and will chirp but she also has been sleeping a lot with her head tucked into her back. Poor baby......If she is on the floor she hops on one foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 07:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Hopefully, it is a pulled muscle. No different with you and me as far as that can happen. Keep a close eye on your baby. Try putting a heat lamp near the cage but not too close where the bird can touch it.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Hopefully, it is a pulled muscle. No different with you and me as far as that can happen. Keep a close eye on your baby. Try putting a heat lamp near the cage but not too close where the bird can touch it.
All the activity he is doing in his cage has made his leg worse . Now he is not using it at all just letting it hang off to the side. I put him in a glass aquarium tank with a mesh lid and heating pad to keep him calm, warm and inactive for a few days. HOpefully with rest he will start healing. He doesnt seem to be in pain by the way he is climbing around his cage. The fact that his wings are clipped doesnt help.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey00 View Post
All the activity he is doing in his cage has made his leg worse . Now he is not using it at all just letting it hang off to the side. I put him in a glass aquarium tank with a mesh lid and heating pad to keep him calm, warm and inactive for a few days. HOpefully with rest he will start healing. He doesnt seem to be in pain by the way he is climbing around his cage. The fact that his wings are clipped doesnt help.
Hmm, while I agree that limiting activity more was a good idea, if this doesn't turn around fast, I'd probably be checking with a vet. You don't have much time with birds, especially small ones. By the time health problems become obvious, they're serious. Spending a lot of time trying to sleep isn't a good sign. If this is a growing juvenile, its possible there's a congenital problem or deficiency manifesting itself. Don't forget, a local vet can do some diagnostics (such as xray that might show a leg or joint deformity) and devise treatment in consultation with an experienced avian vet somewhere else.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2022 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, while I agree that limiting activity more was a good idea, if this doesn't turn around fast, I'd probably be checking with a vet. You don't have much time with birds, especially small ones. By the time health problems become obvious, they're serious. Spending a lot of time trying to sleep isn't a good sign. If this is a growing juvenile, its possible there's a congenital problem or deficiency manifesting itself. Don't forget, a local vet can do some diagnostics (such as xray that might show a leg or joint deformity) and devise treatment in consultation with an experienced avian vet somewhere else.
Going to a Vet today she is just not using it at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds